1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone try bigger injection lines ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone try bigger injection lines ?

Anyone try bigger custom made injection lines on a 1st gen w/ VE pump ? Stomp, glhs..?? Stock IC'd are 1.6mm, stock nonIC'd are 1.8mm. I think I sat down and figured out what that was in inches and came to around .061ish for the 1.8mm, iirc. I've read on the p-pump 12 valves that the .120's aren't too street friendly, but .093's are a good compromise for street/strip. They ain't cheap though, about the price of a set of ebay POD's. I done sold my nonIC'd lines, I'm using IC'd lines with a nonIC'd pump/delivery valves, holders. With my throttle setup, and air pressure regulator setup, I don't think I could use nonIC'd lines. I would need something custom bent in the IC'd line routing. Just thinking of new ideas before the twins.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought getting custom injection lines would be way over $400. I think that some custom cut delivery valves should be before some larger injection lines IMO. For the p-pump guys doing delivery valves is just like doing injectors so wouldn't there be room for some decent improvement there?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Couldn't really hurt. The fuel setup adresses the whole system up to the injection pump not after. Theoretically you're moving more fuel through the same size line which would increase pressure and volume (increase volume pressure goes up). Could translate to the IP having to work harder to move the added fuel might even add more heat in the pump itself. Just taking a stab in the dark. Might call Haisley I remember seeing custom lines on their site. They might even tell you how big you can go and still drive it to the store and pickup milk. Don't quote me on this it's just a theory. Jethrro
Old 10-03-2006, 11:42 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
When installing the intake on my heap, I had the good folks at Scheid Diesel Service fold up a set. I recall about $45 each with a couple hours of labor to bend them up.

I think the general consensus is one needs to proceed with caution. While a larger ID would certainly reduce pressure drop across the pipes, there's apparently some weird math involved. Even though it's itty-bitty, there's still some compression of the liquid as well as ballooning of the tubes, all resulting in subtle alteration of the injection event timing and duration.
One also needs to include consideration to the fact that the fuel volume is not constant (part throttle vs WOT). It all amounts to a number of compromises.

Still though if one were going for Top-Fuel type of performance, I would imagine there's benefit in going up one size.

(All opinion on my part).
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM

When I 1st got my truck it had factory lines modified for 2nd gen injectors. The lines kept on breaking huge headache. If you get some made up make sure the person knows what there doing. Trying to fix a line on the side of the road 8hrs. from home sucks!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:48 PM

Lines arent worth your time....too many other restrictions before the lines come into play. I'd stick to twins if you are wanting to make more power.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Have you changed to bigger banjo bolts at all yet?
Anybody ever mess with a cooler on any fuel lines yet? A couple guys were talking about this here, a few years back, Bushy from Piers was one, and it came up but nothing since. Maybe either cooling the return flow, to help bring down the pump temp a bit, or cooling the supply to the pump to bring down the temp. The fuel in the tank gets warmed up by the return fuel (ever notice how your level is lower after sitting awhile after it cools), and probably picks up more heat from the lift pump as well as the turns in the line before reaching the injection pump to help cool that. Might reduce expansion? Might be far-fetched, just wondering out loud.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:31 PM

i think i'd spend money on a cam first, bill. i think the benefits would be felt a little more. but, that just me.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Guys, keep it civil.