1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

anyone painted their dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smokems, that looks awesome! I'm definately paintin mine red. I think I'll prime it and use that Krylon for plastic paint.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
The 'Ford does not own Cummins' enforcer.

actually the red is the krylon red but the black is the wal mart brand paint and thank you....i really like your whole truck blacky
Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Looks like you had the jitters when you took the pics - or were you having a nic fit?
no actually its the stupid camera ....it has the auto focus and in the those pics since its so close it doesn't know what to focus on....and maybe it was alil bit of a nic fit
Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM

oh okay, I don't think i'll paint my whole dash, although that black looks really good, I'm just gonna do red around the gauge cluster and where the wood grain is, I may even paint my needles on my gauges red with a red paint marker.

And thanks, Your truck is sweet too, its good to see another black 1st gen!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM

thanks.....do you drive that on the road with the hood stack....cause if you do i'm gonna be really really jealous....cause i wanna do that so bad i have an extra hood right now and it would be really easy for me to run that on the road with a hood stack
Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When considering painting the dash.. Be sure to prep and clean all surfaces. Then mask everything you don't want paint on.
As far as the dye goes, i only like a few basic colors, once you get past the black, red and grey the colors seem to look import-ish. They also lay alot thicker and not as uniform as regular paint. I use them on vinal parts such as arm rests and the bench seat. Door panels come out ok, just don't use primer with the vinal or plastic paints, they will peel.
I used the supposed factory color that was on the paint chip for my truck. I've also learned that a few thin coats will look much better than one wet coat, and it also allows the grain to show through better.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SmokemS
thanks.....do you drive that on the road with the hood stack....cause if you do i'm gonna be really really jealous....cause i wanna do that so bad i have an extra hood right now and it would be really easy for me to run that on the road with a hood stack
Yep i sure do drive it on the road. Its my daily driver. I've had it on for quite a few months now and haven't had any complaints or any cops pull me over for it. I got an extra black hood too so if I ever need to change it back, I can. What i did is took my hood totally off for a while and put the stack on to see if i liked it and to see if i would get any crap and i didn't so i put cut a hole in the hood and put it back on.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM

thats awesome
Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 PM

yeah man I love it, The 6" flame that comes out of it at night when the turbo lights is the best part!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
dude, you've gotta get a picture of that flame for us!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM

ha alright I'll try and get pics up of the flame, I'll see if one of my buddys can take it one of these nights.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 PM

The wood grain comes off it's just a sticker, and the difference in the clusters is the speedo limit 85 vs 100 and a voltmeter vs ammeter.

White gauges + LED's = Happy Dash
Old 12-15-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Josh, you need to cut down on the caffeine!
lol Agreed. Love the dash though. The whole thing is a bit much for me but I love the red leds and white gauges. Looks great.

JustRamit stupid question... what kind of "console" is on your seat and does it actually stay there? I hate having nowhere to put my random junk that accompanies me in the truck...

which is why I'm saving up for a club cab with buckets and a console... lol
Old 12-16-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JustRamIt91
When considering painting the dash.. Be sure to prep and clean all surfaces. Then mask everything you don't want paint on.
As far as the dye goes, i only like a few basic colors, once you get past the black, red and grey the colors seem to look import-ish. They also lay alot thicker and not as uniform as regular paint. I use them on vinal parts such as arm rests and the bench seat. Door panels come out ok, just don't use primer with the vinal or plastic paints, they will peel.
I used the supposed factory color that was on the paint chip for my truck. I've also learned that a few thin coats will look much better than one wet coat, and it also allows the grain to show through better.

You say not to use a primer, but what about an adhesive promoter?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 AM

thanks eb i say with all the interior i got probably about 2 hours involved in the whole deal....doesn't take long

Quick Reply: anyone painted their dash?