1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone Heard of whitish blue smoking only on idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Heard of whitish blue smoking only on idle

Hello, i'm a newbie to dtr but have been reading for a while. My truck is a 93 w-350 club cab 4x4. The fuel pump has been turned up some, i just replaced the injectors, set the valves, and serviced it. I just bought the rig and it is awesome but i can't get it to stop smoking on idle. The smoke smells like fuel and it only does it at idle. I think i have it narrowed down to the lift pump and or timing. I just wanted to get somebody elses opinion. Thanks, Kevin a.k.a. onetwopunch
Old 03-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to DTR!,I don't think it could be the lift pump as it only puts fuel through the injector pump at 7 psi. Timing could be a factor but the questions are; ,
how many miles is on the engine?
What is your idle setting?
How warm is the engine?

Please fill out your signature so we know what we are referring too.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's smoking blue than you're burning oil. What kind of oil are you using? How many miles do you have on the truck? High mileage trucks should not use synthetic. It's slipperiness causes it to slip past worn ring and seals.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM

When you say whiteish that makes me think head gasket, burning a bit of anti-freeze maybe? I also notice that all kinds of smoke just smell like fuel with these things. Give it a little less on the low smoke screw and see how that works.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
White and or blue smoke at idle on an otherwise healthy engine is simply unburnt fuel. The fact that the smoke smells like fuel makes me think thats the ticket as well. A cold engine will smoke. What type of replacement injectors did you get? Check for any leaks around the injection pump, specifically at the large banjo bolt closest to the shutdown solenoid. A leak there will drop case pressure and retard timing. Bumping the timing will help the smoke somewhat.

Oh, did I say they'll smoke when cold?

Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

I agree with G1625S- white and/or blue smoke in a diesel makes me think fuel system first. And, with new injectors, depending on pop pressure of old vs new, the higher pressure of new injectors will in effect, retard your dynamic timing, as it takes a hair longer to pop new injectors than worn old ones. A slight bump on timing may help.

Another factor to consider is your (new) injector spray pattern matching your piston bowl design- if the new sticks are from a marine or other application that ran a different piston, the combustion chamber wont be optimized to your new injectors. Not that it wont work, it could just be better. And spray pattern may not be your problem.

Another possibility that applies to COLD engines is a faulty KSB switch or solenoid. I have a toggle switch in the dash to make up for a $40 sensor/ switch in the manifold.

How old are the fuel and air filters?

Unless you have a sweet odor in the smoke, I wouldnt worry about antifreeze or head gasket, etc.

Sounds like you just have an old diesel engine. Mine smokes at idle, too, with a new fuel system, good fuel pressure, and head gasket. I just live with it. KSB switch helps when cold.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:04 PM

Mine did it with POD's. Even when hot out side if it idles very long
Old 03-24-2007, 01:00 AM

this past winter just before my VP44 packed it in with electronic timing failure. I got the thick white blue smoke at cold startup, dang near burned your eyes out till it got some heat in it.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 AM

Thanks a bunch for the posts guys, i messed with the timing some and it stopped smoking for the most part. It still does a little when i first start it up to idle but that sounds common. My lifter pump wasn't even pumpin fuel so the new one really help out but it didn't have anything to do with the smoke. Runs smoother and makes more power. The injectors are just upgraded bosche and the truck has a low 126,000 miles. thanks again