1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone have their front clip apart? IC?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have their front clip apart? IC?'s

I have an idea for an intercooler swap, but I need to know how much work would be involved to make it fit. I found a very common IC in the medium duty trucks and want to know if I can make it work on my 92. So if anyon has their trucks front clip torn apart and can put a tape to it with the rough measurements i have, I would be very appreciative. As for the IC dimensions they are, 36" from inlet to outlet (they are on the top or bottom of the IC and 3") It is 14" tall, and about 2.5" deep. The main core of the cooler is 30.5" across. If it can be made to fit this would make a nice upgrade, and they should be fairly plentiful. I would measure my truck but I am out of town till the weekend and want to know if this would work.

L-36" inlet to outlet
H-14"
W-2.5"

DS79
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM

You're going to have some issues with the bumper mount being in the way.

frame is C channel with the "C's" facing in. Outside to outside measurments are 29.25"

Mounted on the flats of those are the heavy bumper They are 34.825" across. I suppose you could notch them to make your 3" connections clear.

Usable height should not be too big of a deal a 20.25" once you notch the latch brace in the middle (just a gusset of sheet metal).

Max width before cutting into the vertical sheetmetal framing behindthe grill is about 39.5" (if you were widening the original holes for te I/C piping) and the minumum without cutting another on the INSIDE of this same bulkhead is roughly 31.25". For fun, the width across the gap for air to enter the radiator is about 28.125".

Little visual for you, A/C condensor swung out of the way.

Name:  intercooleranddieselpulls004.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  101.9 KB
Old 10-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
You're going to have some issues with the bumper mount being in the way.

frame is C channel with the "C's" facing in. Outside to outside measurments are 29.25"

Mounted on the flats of those are the heavy bumper They are 34.825" across. I suppose you could notch them to make your 3" connections clear.

Usable height should not be too big of a deal a 20.25" once you notch the latch brace in the middle (just a gusset of sheet metal).

Max width before cutting into the vertical sheetmetal framing behindthe grill is about 39.5" (if you were widening the original holes for te I/C piping) and the minumum without cutting another on the INSIDE of this same bulkhead is roughly 31.25". For fun, the width across the gap for air to enter the radiator is about 28.125".

Little visual for you, A/C condensor swung out of the way.
What's the heighth above the frame to the highest point a guy dares to go on the radiator support, I'll let you be the judge...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by sdstriper
What's the heighth above the frame to the highest point a guy dares to go on the radiator support, I'll let you be the judge...
Just ran out and double checked: the height from the top of the bumper brackets TO the top of the radiator support is 20.25" from the top of the FRAME (if you want to make your own bumper mounts) is 21". In that picture there, I have 1.5" of hoodlatch support left after I notched it. so I have 18.75" of usable space between the notched latch support and the top of the bumper mounts (19.5" without them, to the frame).

For my application, I did not NEARLY need to notch it that deep though. I originally had the PS I/C right side up and I was playing with it going in deeper to see if I could change some things. I ended up mounting it upside down with the top kicked out a little (there is more room at the top with the grill attatched than the bottom). The PS I/C inlet/outlet have a slight angle, so it worked better for it to be upside down I'll write up a thread on my PS I/C install when I finish welding the new DP connections and get it back on the road. Don't count on it being done in at least the next 3 months though, the dually isn't getting touched to Febuary it seems
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 AM

Wow, thanks for the info. For comparison what does the PS I/C measure in at? Is it bigger or smaller then the one I am looking at? BTW the one I am eyeing is out of a Freightliner M2 buisness class truck with a C7 Cat in it. It will keep a 275hp Kitty cool whille working it hard ad flowing over 30lbs of boost, so I figured it should handle anything the little Cummins would be throwing at it. Let me know what you think.
Thanks a bunch,
DS79
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by deerslayer1979
Wow, thanks for the info. For comparison what does the PS I/C measure in at? Is it bigger or smaller then the one I am looking at? BTW the one I am eyeing is out of a Freightliner M2 buisness class truck with a C7 Cat in it. It will keep a 275hp Kitty cool whille working it hard ad flowing over 30lbs of boost, so I figured it should handle anything the little Cummins would be throwing at it. Let me know what you think.
Thanks a bunch,
DS79
PS IC is 18" tall. In your calculations when measuring for space for your ps ic, you ought to consider deducting the space you have allowed in the truck(or add to the overall height of the ps ic) anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" for some type of isomode, which is an isolation from vibration material. All stock ic's are manufactured and installed with some form of rubber isolation padding, so should you. I welded up legs to catch those pop out pockets on the sides of the ps ic, the ones 2/3 down when holding the ic right side up. the legs attached to those pockets, and attached to the frame with 3/4" isomode padding. You can find 2" x 2" waffle squares of black isomode at any hvac specialty supply house. very dense material, made to mount a/c condensing units on(around 300 lbs.) to minimize vibration noises. Plan on using some under your trucks a/c condensor, also. I mounted my ps ic up front, and condensor behind that. There is a channel that runs sideways that your condensor will sit on.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 AM

Here is a quick pic of my set up. It isn't finished, havn't done my bottom mounts with isomodes like bigragu is saying yet, but he's right. I made isomodes for my A/C condensor which is BEHIND my I/C, but I'll show those pics later, I'm on the run.

Name:  IMG_2282.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  77.8 KB

They're pretty ugly with their grill off ain't they
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Thanks a bunch,
DS79
From what you have posted for measurements it will fit? The PS I/C is 18" tall, he lost me with all the frame talk...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 PM

It sounds like it should fit, just not sure if it will be a good upgrade, and if it is any better then a PS cooler. I haven't found one yet, but I am sure with a few calls I can get one for a decent price.
DS79
Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 PM

they are on the top or bottom of the IC and 3"
I assume he meant that the inlet/outlet point up or down, not back like the original I/C and the PS I/C. If so, the Bumper mounts and maybe even the frame would be in the way. Maybe in interpreted it wrong?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Just a thought by reading thru the threads. What about a trans cooler? will that intefere with anything along those lines?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM

yup! it does
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 AM

The inlet and outlet do point STRAIGHT back and in the original application they kind of "hug" the radiator. As for a trans cooler, I don't need one in my truck, so no worries for this guy!
DS79
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Your limiting factor may be the radiator again then. I assume the measurement between the inlet and outlet is 30" or so? Your minumum without cutting into some bends on the inside of the rad support bulkhead was 31 something inches. You should be able to run a tape across your radiator and see if it will work.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:46 PM

Ok, so the next time I get one in the shop I will put a tape to the in/out and see what that measures to the inside of them.
DS79