1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

any hints

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking any hints

ok, i have just ordered a 16cm turbo. i am going to install it in a week or so, along with a long overdue valve adjustment. is there any hints on doing this right. i already have it soaking in PB so any advice would be good. also on the homemade intake, could i use something like PVC, just because i cant find 4in exhaust, and i dont really want to order it off of that website posted.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
There is a pile of imformation here on removing exhaust housings. Try a search and enjoy the reading. Biggest piece of advice I can give is: Don't get into a big hurry. When you start feeling frustrated, take a break. Check Wannadiesel's posts. He has good insight and experience.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 PM

Be ready to let the housing soak in penetrating oil overnight if you can't get it out. They can be a pain!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pvc will work fine! good luck
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 PM

there shouldn't be any reason to have to let it soak overnight, though the pb blaster sure can't hurt. i've removed a number of them and one off a pretty rusty setup...
1. Remove the whole turbo
2. Take out the 4 bolts that hold on the exhuast housing
3. Pick up the turbo by the intake housing, hold so the exhuast housing hangs down (a second person could do this if you can't)
4. take a 2lb sledge, LARGE hammer, or even a full size sledge. hold about 4 inches from the head and give 3-4 REALLLLLY hard blows to the SIDE of the housing. you are NOT trying to knock it away from the intake side... if the shaft in the turbo is straight up and down you should be swinging the hammer perfectly horizontal.
5. after each set of blows make sure the shaft will still spin, if it does and you can't see that the housing has moved, turn the whole assembly slightly and give it 3-4 more solid blasts.
6. when you go to spin the shaft and there is any resistance that means the housing is starting to move STOP, switch to a smaller hammer and don't beat nearly as hard. still you are not trying to knock it off with the hammer just shock it and let gravity slowly move the housing.
7. Getting it to move to the point of affecting the shaft is 90% of the battle in my book. now is the time for finesse not brute power. take your time. the reason i say not to try to knock it off with the hammer is you run a higher risk of accidentally hitting the compressor housing, if you hit it, chances are the aluminum will break! at this point i tend to knock the side that has moved the least, if it starts to turn too much i will actually tap lightly on the end of the housing to straighten it out.

I know i'm gonna get railed for this but i don't see why with consistent work you couldn't get any housing off and less than 2 hours. if you do by any chance end up hurting anything on your turbo let me know, i'm not too far and have a few parts that could help you out of a bind.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 AM

Great idea for intake

Ok yesterday i was going thru lowes to find some PVC/fittings , and i come aross the air conditioning isle, and i saw some 6in flexible metal duct work, and some 4-6in convertors . would this work? without crushing, would it help flow?