1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Any good Cummins Books?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good Cummins Books?

I am a first-time Cummins Diesel Owner ('92 D250/LE).<br><br>Can anyone recommend a good book for repairing/tuning/performance?<br><br>What is involved in adjusting a fuel pump?<br><br>If I am pulling small loads (1500-2000#) what can I do to get the best MPG (auto trans)?
Old 04-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Re:Any good Cummins Books?

ouchman,<br><br>Welcome to the group..... ;D<br><br>I would recommend you try and lay your hands on the Dodge manual for the truck. It has pretty much everything EXCEPT the injection pump internals.<br>Info on the Bosch VE injection pump can be purchased (on line) from Bosch. The cost is minimal and it can be downloaded in PDF format. That is Acrobat Reader format BTW.<br><br>Next there is a lot of info on how/what to tune on these trucks.<br>I think the guys will all agree with me here..... the first thing to do is look at getting some instruments. <br>You'll need a pyrometer for tracking your exhaust gas temps (EGT)<br>You'll need a tach if not equiped.<br>You'll also need a boost gauge to keep track of pressures.<br>All of these are the best way to assess any modifications you make, but more importantly, they give you a baseline from which to start.<br>Now, you can do some tweaks first, BUT, you'll never know what you had before them if you do.<br>Next, let me suggest you search the site for topics like:<br><br>1) AFC diaphram<br>2) Starwheel<br>3) full fuel screw<br>4) Pump timing<br>5) Bosch 185 injectors, or Lucas injectors, or POD's.<br>6) Governor screw<br>7) Exhaust improvements, or, 3 1/2&quot; mandrel bent exhaust<br>8) Turbo housing(s)<br>9) KSB solenoid<br>10) Fuel solenoid<br><br>That should get you started with reading, and also provide you with a starting point for your questions.<br>If you like, I'll give you a web link below to take you to one of my picture galleries. It will show you the pump and various parts, adjustments, etc on our fuel pump, the Bosch VE pump.<br><br>http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...mp;albumid=453<br><br>Once you've gone thru some of this, ask away. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask, .. literally.<br><br>Regards, Bob.<br>
Old 04-07-2003, 01:32 AM

Re:Any good Cummins Books?

With an Auto you'll need a Tranny Temp gauge also. Then get on www.dieseltrans.com and read posts and Bill K.'s comments on Auto's. Then contact him for ALL your questions. The best location for sensor is in cooler line. He will give you the best set-up for that mod.