1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Any Flatbed trucks here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Flatbed trucks here?

Hello forum,

My dad is looking to find a Dually truck so we can store tools, bolt on a 13hp air compressor that we have lying around and one that is 4x4 so it can be used in the ranch aswell. Also put a small generator and take along our welder if something is beatup or broken and needs a fix.

Anyway I'm thinking kill two birds with one stone, I always wanted a first gen and am thinking of getting one, put a flatbed on it and put the air compressor behind the cab and maybe put a box around it that has doors to open to service the compressor. Only purpose of the box would be to protect it from theives and so it doesnt look raggedy. Tool boxes can be put underneath the flatbed infront and behind the rear tires so the deck is still usable.

But I'd like to see if anyone has any pics of a first gen with a flatbed on it, see how you guys have constructed it and how do they look like with a flatbed. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This body is not a "flat bed" but space around the sides for hidden storage. It is built very similar to a flat bed underneath.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:14 PM

Thats pretty good, Man that crew cab sure is long, looks longer then a 3rd gen. Anyway what do you use the bed for? Fifth wheel/gooseneck towing?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

No pictures, I have a wood flat bed for now. Plan on upgrading it this summer. Little tight in the woods, just gives those trees a little character.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:06 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is mine. Instead of a tool box, I have a 35 gal aux tank mounted on the passenger side.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:29 AM

and mine too - before pending fix-up (I've since fixed the doors on toolboxes, and straightened out) There is just one 'under' box on Right side, but bigger. The front one on left side is short due to welding tank rack against the cab. The pipe rack is not shown well, but it is stout...
9' bed on Cab + chassis.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:58 PM

So your flatbed is about 1 foot longer then where the chasiss ends? I was thinking, if I make the flatbed 8 feet wide on the dually, it would be an 8x8 piece, but I see alot of the pre superduty fords running around with 8ft and then 10 or 12ft long flatbeds. The longer ones look better then the regular square kind.

Anyway that would be a huge project, cutting frame, extending, changing both front and rear brake lines and measuring them up so they are exact. Dont want the rear ones to come on way before or way after the fronts, unevenwear. Picture quality is low Janb, but I like the way it sits higher, almost as if it has a lift on it.

Thanks for the pictures guys, what construction materials did you guys use? Tube steel, 2x3's or something? I beams? Where do you guys get the boxes under the flatbed?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad has a '03 crew cab. Mines about 4" longer.
Vintage Areo,36' 18,000GVW
Old 02-18-2005, 09:37 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rip, Mine was made by WW Trailers in Oklahoma, and the ussually will run about $100 per foot( 10 foot bed=$1000)
There is no extension of the frame or anything. The bed is mounted to small sections of I-beam that then bolt to the existing frame. The only extension needed is for the taillight wiring harness.
I will try and take some photos of the mounts and post them by next Mon for you
Old 02-18-2005, 11:38 AM

Hey thanks, those prices arnt that bad, but we have a shop with welder, cutters, grinders, basically everything to work metal besides sheetmetal. Winr your truck looks right at home towing that trailer with the flatbed, Looks even better b/c of the crew cab, Im trying to picture it with a single cab and it doesnt have the same awsemeness factor.

Anyway were going to an auction upnorth Saturday, they have two 1989 and 1993 dodge one tons, I hope their duallies and atleast have an extended cab.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

Does this count as a flat bed truck???

I mean....the bed IS flat........... isn't it???
Old 02-19-2005, 11:14 PM

My bed is 94"x 108". Still a work in progress. Bought it used, and making some repairs.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...&albumid=16568
Old 02-22-2005, 02:36 AM

That flatbed looks a little aluminum? Anyway even though 8 foot bed looks okay with a stock truck bed, but when I see the flatbeds posted here and on the road. They appear a little short, if the wheelbase was just a little longer it would make it look even better. I think I need photoshop to alter some pics around and see how they come out. Thanks for the pics guys.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:11 AM

I'm inserested in puttin a flatbed on mine. What do I need to do it and about how much $$ is it gonna take? Is there a milage drop?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Ripper406
So your flatbed is about 1 foot longer then where the chasiss ends? I was thinking, if I make the flatbed 8 feet wide on the dually, it would be an 8x8 piece, but I see alot of the pre superduty fords running around with 8ft and then 10 or 12ft long flatbeds. The longer ones look better then the regular square kind.
..., what construction materials did you guys use? Tube steel, 2x3's or something? I beams? Where do you guys get the boxes under the flatbed?
I went out and measured, and it is actually 10' long, extends frame by ~1' (~135" WB) Built w/ 3" channel, and has 3" channel between top of frame rails and bottom of 3" pieces forming bed (top of bed = 3"+3" + 1.5" (2x8 wood deck) = 7.5" above peak (over axle) of frame. It is plenty tall to lift stuff up.

material on perimeter of bed is 5" channel. These aren't tough to build, but you might want to keep your eye open on Equipment Trader, or local farm / indust. rags. There are quite a few for sale. (Cheaper than building) The 1T 4x4 dodge Flatbed (360 gas) in tail of my pic needs a good home, It has an electric hoist !!, and a "killer hitch / bumper", bed isn't too pretty, cab is worse, but an extra pickup is included for free!

There are lots of manufacturers, just check the web, or local truck mag. http://www.qualitytruckbodies.com/

My under body tool boxes are Delta, but there is alwaysContico, or 'Protech' for the 'custom crowd' (check out their 'flatbed bodies', that's where I will head, after I win the Lottery)
http://www.protech.net/aluminumtoolboxes.html

http://www.americanvan.com/catalog/c...0Truck%20Boxes

here is quite a source http://www.truck-central.com/better-...-tool-box.html