1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Another "Which torque converter?" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Another "Which torque converter?" thread

Sorry folks, I did a search.

I've gone ahead and mentioned something about I wanna new TQ to the Miss's. (I can see her over there, just in the shadow of that pine. The cork's about 3 feet from her. Everybody be quiet . . . . . . she's looking .. . . . here fishy fishy fishy . . . . .. )

In real life, I don't pull anything with my truck. That's not to say I haven't, or won't in the future. Suffice it to say I don't pull for a living. Occasionally Dad's 26' aluminum hulled cabin cruiser, or once in a blue moon, my JD tractor.
I realize that tightening up the TQ results in less torque multiplication, so I'm gonna go with the 89%. For what I do, that should give me plenty of tug.

What's got me baffled is the thought that it seems most of the major TQ folks I read about here and there, all rebuild TQs. I understand that they all have custom machined components and/or tolerances, etc, etc.

From one point of view, everybody and their brother makes a heavy duty TQ for our trucks. Only a few advertise the actual "89%" and "91%" (for example). Do they all boil down to the percent of slip (outside of the heavy duty meat)?

The other view, "Three easy payments of only $39.95 (plus S&H) all the way up to $1,500 to put it on the counter.
I don't mind paying for somebody's R&D put into a good product. But I also couldn't give a fat puppies behind that Joe Blow runs brand X.

If we can put the thought ~ Ya durn tootin brand X's the best! I paid $X!@*! for it! aside . . . . ..

. . . . . what's the best 89% TQ for the money? Bang for the buck. I don't see myself adding much more in the way of the engine upgrades than that you see listed in my sig. It appears I'm at the point that if I want to add more power (fuel), I'm gonna have to go to a bigger turbo. (Water/meth doesn't count ).

It's been a while since I talked with Mark at PDR, but I recall him giving me a rundown on who really makes what, and who really farms it all out.

What's y'alls first hand experience? How many miles do you have on your upgraded TQ? Do you work the fool out of it, or are you a stoplight drag racer (me )? Big MPG gains? Hooked up your Dad's 26' cabin cruiser and thought "Uh Oh!"

Speaking of broken input shafts. . . . . .

What's the most commonly broken A518 part with a truck like I speak of? I don't want to sink $1,500 in parts I really don't need.

Aww geez! This diesel addiction .. . . . .
Old 03-04-2006, 01:19 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I don't know
but I will say that the mohave green tourque converters are rebuilt and cheap and they may be able to answer your questions, concerning the 89% yadayada
Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey BC I agree with most of what you said. Hey the pos stock tc holds up to stock well &some mods..... I think that the real highend tc are needed for the high horse/race/puller rigs but for better over all tc upgrades for most of us ie daily drivers rv or trailer pullers of up to say 70-100 more hp Then a good rebuild/brand x lowstall and tranny upgrades will suit us well I'm giving my tranny hd rebuild /update and after researching all choices have decided not to go with $1000 most popular brand d ** but with TCS for half that price and add the rest to internal updates .will post on how it works . Eric. Ps my trannie is not broke only 175,000kms/110,000 miles works good, I'm rebuilding it to be a truck tranny not a pick-up/car tranny I'll let you know whats worn inside she has hauled either a camper on her back or horses on a goose all her life. Oh yea TCS - TC model for us is HD618-2 i know we have 518 but thats the one, it's non lockup on their site click on catalogs then on the tc one to find it
Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Banned

converters

Originally Posted by BC847
Sorry folks, I did a search.

I've gone ahead and mentioned something about I wanna new TQ to the Miss's. (I can see her over there, just in the shadow of that pine. The cork's about 3 feet from her. Everybody be quiet . . . . . . she's looking .. . . . here fishy fishy fishy . . . . .. )

In real life, I don't pull anything with my truck. That's not to say I haven't, or won't in the future. Suffice it to say I don't pull for a living. Occasionally Dad's 26' aluminum hulled cabin cruiser, or once in a blue moon, my JD tractor.
I realize that tightening up the TQ results in less torque multiplication, so I'm gonna go with the 89%. For what I do, that should give me plenty of tug.

What's got me baffled is the thought that it seems most of the major TQ folks I read about here and there, all rebuild TQs. I understand that they all have custom machined components and/or tolerances, etc, etc.

From one point of view, everybody and their brother makes a heavy duty TQ for our trucks. Only a few advertise the actual "89%" and "91%" (for example). Do they all boil down to the percent of slip (outside of the heavy duty meat)?

The other view, "Three easy payments of only $39.95 (plus S&H) all the way up to $1,500 to put it on the counter.
I don't mind paying for somebody's R&D put into a good product. But I also couldn't give a fat puppies behind that Joe Blow runs brand X.

If we can put the thought ~ Ya durn tootin brand X's the best! I paid $X!@*! for it! aside . . . . ..

. . . . . what's the best 89% TQ for the money? Bang for the buck. I don't see myself adding much more in the way of the engine upgrades than that you see listed in my sig. It appears I'm at the point that if I want to add more power (fuel), I'm gonna have to go to a bigger turbo. (Water/meth doesn't count ).

It's been a while since I talked with Mark at PDR, but I recall him giving me a rundown on who really makes what, and who really farms it all out.

What's y'alls first hand experience? How many miles do you have on your upgraded TQ? Do you work the fool out of it, or are you a stoplight drag racer (me )? Big MPG gains? Hooked up your Dad's 26' cabin cruiser and thought "Uh Oh!"

Speaking of broken input shafts. . . . . .

What's the most commonly broken A518 part with a truck like I speak of? I don't want to sink $1,500 in parts I really don't need.

Aww geez! This diesel addiction .. . . . .
I am not a fan of automatics, however IF I were to buy a converter for a non lockup transmission then I would use a 89 TCS or one of the converters that has the Borg Warner( sp? ) fork lift stator in it.
The lag part of the converter could be helped by changing the turbo charger exhaust to a smaller housing to help spooling. I am no expert there. Mark would be the person to call. Good luck Jim
Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 AM

I have a '91.5 W-250, 4-sp. auto, which, I purchased new. The truck was a complete "dog", especially when towing (I live in AZ. Plenty of mountains.).

Thinking my problem was lack of power, I started upgrading the engine. Exhaust, air intake, fuel pump mods, 16 sqcm. turbo housing etc. The engine really woke up but, pulling my 25' (7000 lb.) travel trailer, uphill, it was still a dog. I noticed that I could hold any rpm I wanted, going uphill but, my speed would not increase. That's when I started investigating the TC.

First, I had Hughes Torque Converters, in Phoenix, rebuild my stock TC with the idea of lowering the stall speed. $600-$800 later, I had a TC that had so much "grab" at idle that I had to really stand on the brake pedal to keep the truck from crawling away from me. However, towing uphill, it was the same, slow 45 mph. pull with really hot trans. temps (260-270 deg's.). In Hughes TC's defense, my problem was pretty new to them. My understanding is that, now, they have a TC that is dedicated to these trucks, that works better than the one I purchased from them.

At this point, I figured that what I needed was a locking TC.

At the first May Madness, I attended (2002), I ran across Clint Cannon from ATS & told him my problem. He was the first person that said that a lock-up TC "could" be installed in my truck. Many others had told me that I was "stuck" with a non-lock up TC. So, I had him install his Triplelok TC & trans.
What a difference!!! This thing works perfectly. Exactly what I was looking for. It has a lot more "grab" before lock up but, its very smooth. Lock up is just great. The only downside is cost.

I've been told that the DTT-TC works great with good "grab" (89% vs. 60% stock) for a lot less money & that it is a pretty good compromise. At the time, my experience with the Hughes TC told me that the lack of lock up was my real problem. I was afraid of throwing more money at a non- lock up TC & having the same results.

Today, knowing how well the ATS TC works (before lock up) I wouldn't be as afraid to buy a properly designed & built non-lock up TC. It will never be as good as a lock up TC but, my guess is that it would work well & be more cost effective.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 03-04-2006, 11:34 AM

How much to get the lock-up TC and the transmission from ATS?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:39 AM

I'm running the Hughes non-lockup converter and have none of the issues Buffalo mentioned, so they apparently learned something after building his. Mine made a big difference over the stock converter, especially when towing. The RPM actually drops when it shifts now, too....

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2006, 11:54 AM

converter cost ?

WHAT DOES THE HUGHS CONVERTER cost?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:09 PM

Not sure what they retail for - a friend owned a transmission shop so I got it for cost. Check Summit Racing, I've found they usually have one of the lowest prices.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:27 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by dsl ram
WHAT DOES THE HUGHS CONVERTER cost?
According to their website ~ http://www.hughesperformance.com/hd.html

24XFM ............ H.D. Tow Master—Cummins Diesel Only .......................$354.96
As found here ~ http://www.hughesperformance.com/jobber.pdf
NOTE: For the non-lock up converter, look in the TORQUE FLITE 8 (A727) section.

I'm not sure as to which I have . . . . 23 spline? Or 24 spline?

As best as I can tell, they don't mention % hook-up figures.

THANKS for the input folks! Keep it coming.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
While i don`t have one YET (it`s on the looong list) I`ll put in another vote for Hughes. I have a couple of friends who use their gasser stuff (1320 type equipment) and are very pleased with it. When funds, and more importantly TIME allows I`d like to do a Hughes/Trans-Go combo.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:15 AM

I will give another vote for the Hughes. I have none of the problems described above. It just works much better and puts the power to the ground. I do tow from time to time either a couple of quads or up to the slide in camper on the back with the Toyota crawler on the trailer. I have no heat issues at all even towing in the hills of TN. I have no problems going faster than the speed limit or getting back up to speed after a slowdown from a truck in the fast lane. My only limitations are the EGTs. I also use this for a daily driver at 70 miles per day, great street manners and works good for stop light to stop light .
I had a full ATS stage 4 lock up in my 94 nearly $4500 and while it was nice I can live with this for the price. I have nearly 100,000 miles on this and have had no issues except for a busted flexplate. Probably from play racing with the Furds with a loaded trailer. Fuel mileage is better by about 1-2 mpg.
I'm sure there may be better converters out there but mine has served me well. It is not too often that you can say you get what you pay for and it is a bargain now days. If I had it to do over again I would go the same route.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:09 PM

The 15XFM is the converter I used in mine - not sure what the difference is between it and the 24XFM.:confused Give Dave or Barb at Hughes a call at 1-888-431-7223 and make sure that is the right application for yours. They're great people to deal with.