1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Another blower question(think im close)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 07:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another blower question(think im close)

New to forum, tons of great info on here!
Just picked up a 93, which apparently sat in a farm field going green for years... tryin to get this baby back in action.

One of the many things im into is the blower fan...after days of forum browsing i feel like im getting close...
Issue is basically no blower power...Checked the fuse at fuse box with test light, which lit up...pulled dash and visual inspection of switch and harness looks fine...all wiring looks good
From someones advice I ran 2 wires from battery + and - straight to blower under the hood and with key turned the blower fired up. Thing is none of the controls (high /low, defrost/ac/off etc) worked, which im guessing its since it just had constant full power.
So now I'm guessing blower must not be getting power to the harness under the hood. Can someone tell me where that harness gets it power from? and there must be a switch along that line which enables the different controls to work ?
Appreciate any input!

Old 12-29-2020, 10:17 PM
BHD

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts
Do you have power at the HVAC switch? Its common for the switch to fail as well as the push buttons that control the AC and direction of air in the HVAC center.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:18 PM

Yeah seems like i have power at the switch.

Appologies if this conjures up old demons...Seems like the answer is out there, read Jim Lanes blower upgrade probly 5 times but im not great with wiring diagrams...

A Few photos...

Seems like i have power from the ignition switch to the back of the blower fuse (black/red wire), but with key turned no power to green wire from backside...

could this have something to do with it? couple broken/orange wire leading to harness to nothing. Is that the same green wire from the fuse panel?

and so where does the power to this plug for the blower come from? (orange/black wire)

Thank you
Old 12-30-2020, 05:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
The power from the switch goes through a resistor block mounted in the top of the heater housing. I can be accessed by dropping the glovebox.
nothingbutdarts (01-07-2021)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:32 PM

So it took my brother 5 minutes to find that someone had already rigged up a switch underneath the hood, and that 2 of the wires were on the wrong terminals........
Old 12-30-2020, 06:04 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnAugust
So it took my brother 5 minutes to find that someone had already rigged up a switch underneath the hood, and that 2 of the wires were on the wrong terminals........
At least now we know who the electrician in the family is...Welcome to DTR......Ben
Old 12-30-2020, 08:36 PM

Received 344 Likes on 242 Posts
Here is a diagram for the ducksfoot and what each fusible link powers ​​​​​​​

The following 3 users liked this post by nonrev:
edwinsmith (12-31-2020), jimbo486 (12-31-2020), nothingbutdarts (01-07-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:54 PM

Cheers thats super helpful info!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:39 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
Here is a diagram for the ducksfoot and what each fusible link powers
Man, I labeled this and posted it on Facebook so long ago and still have it in my FSM. I'm long overdue to modify it on a computer.

FWIW, this is based upon the wiring schematics from my 1990 FSM. I don't know how similar the later models might be but it seems this has been helpful to many people.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:56 AM

Received 344 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
Man, I labeled this and posted it on Facebook so long ago and still have it in my FSM. I'm long overdue to modify it on a computer.

FWIW, this is based upon the wiring schematics from my 1990 FSM. I don't know how similar the later models might be but it seems this has been helpful to many people.
Jimbo, thank you for letting me know who posted this as I have had this for some time and forgot where I found it
jimbo486 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 12:17 AM

Spoke too soon...

Here's a photo of the switch...Blue is going from back of alternator to switch, which when jumped with a wire from the battery the fan runs. (and the coiled red wire is running to the blower fuse) Therefore thought when truck running that it'd get power...Maybe there's not enough power coming off back of alternator to engage the switch?

Would looove to get this sorted ! Thanks again
Old 01-04-2021, 08:40 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Spoke too soon...

Here's a photo of the switch...Blue is going from back of alternator to switch, which when jumped with a wire from the battery the fan runs. (and the coiled red wire is running to the blower fuse) Therefore thought when truck running that it'd get power...Maybe there's not enough power coming off back of alternator to engage the switch?

Would looove to get this sorted ! Thanks again
That gray box is likely a voltage regulator if it's wired to the alternator. In the case of your 93, normally, the ECM should control the regulation of the alternator. The blue wire is probably the ignition (+) to the alternator.

What's the relay next to it for? I can't quite tell, but is the blue wire off the regulator piggybacked and feeding that relay?
Old 01-04-2021, 01:35 PM

Yes that blue wire is piggybacking from the regulator, at the yellow crimp wire connector it splits and goes to the relay.

Not exactly sure about the relay, but the red wire that's coiled up in the photo leads through firewall and directly into the blower fuse...So wondering if it's an attempt to get the blower working, or is it just using that blower fuse as a power source when the key is turned.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2021, 07:50 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Yes that blue wire is piggybacking from the regulator, at the yellow crimp wire connector it splits and goes to the relay.

Not exactly sure about the relay, but the red wire that's coiled up in the photo leads through firewall and directly into the blower fuse...So wondering if it's an attempt to get the blower working, or is it just using that blower fuse as a power source when the key is turned.

Cheers
If the red wire to the blower connects to the coil on the relay, most likely it's to tell the relay to connect the battery to the sense terminal on the regulator. This is a common fix for pulsating voltage which makes your headlights go bright/dim. when the key is off the relay drops out and stops the VR from draining the battery through the alternator field coil.

Edwin
Old 01-04-2021, 08:38 PM

So my battery has died a few times while sitting this week..Figured maybe from turning the ignition on and off so many times to try and diagnose stuff....but its a new battery so figured it would be stronger than that.
And then I just took it for it's first proper drive, and while driving watched the battery gauge dropping, and by the time I got home (20 minutes) the battery was down to 9 volts and wouldn't even crank the engine after I shut it down.

So I guess I have a bigger issue than my fan not blowing !

Quick Reply: Another blower question(think im close)