1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Another belt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another belt?

So my belt started ripping apart today and did a quick search. I'm goin to get a new tensioner set up but until the advanced store gets one in I was goin to put my old spare on... The old belt was a pain to get off and the spare was a hair shorter and would not go on to save my life.Are these belts supposed to be that tight coming off and going on? Am I doing something wrong? What is the part# maybe I have the wrong belt all together.

Last edited by BC847; 08-16-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Short-cut to profanity
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most are really tight. Ive had to put a breaker on my rachet to get enough leverage to get mine on before. Sometimes when struggling on the install, its better to take a break, and come back to it. Did that one time and it went right on...lol
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Alright, thanks man. I'll just wait till the tensioner comes in and drive a loaner
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 PM

Gave up on that spare belt! The neighbor and I tried for two hours and ten different ways and it was not going on there. Autozone had one in stock that was an inch longer so I figured I'd give it a shot. Put the new tensioner and belt on and fired her up... She squealed like a stuck pig, figured the belt was just a lil too long and then the neighbor noticed the belt wasn't moving at all. Shut it down pulled the belt off and realized the alternator blade was stuck on the new tensioner. Do I grind the new tensioner down to fit or try to get the right one from the local "the computer only shows that part for that vehicle" store. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by BC847; 08-16-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Short-cut to profanity
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steve1988
Gave up on that spare belt! The neighbor and I tried for two hours and ten different ways and it was not going on there. Autozone had one in stock that was an inch longer so I figured I'd give it a shot. Put the new tensioner and belt on and fired her up... She squealed like a stuck pig, figured the belt was just a lil too long and then the neighbor noticed the belt wasn't moving at all. Shut it down pulled the belt off and realized the alternator blade was stuck on the new tensioner. Do I grind the new tensioner down to fit or try to get the right one from the local "the computer only shows that part for that vehicle" store. Thanks in advance guys!
I bet "that guy" gave you a tensioner for a 5.9 gasser ... how do the 2 compare?
Pulleys look the same? Locating pins in the same place? etc ...
Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Are you absolutely positive of the routing of your belts ??

I have never had the least problem removing/replacing belts on the many Cummins around here; we just use a normal ratchet in the square hole and it is an easy one-man job.

It reads to me like maybe you are routing the belt wrong if you are having that much trouble getting it on.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Slide the belt on to the alternator last. With a nice foot long breaker bar its defiantly a one man job.

I gave up on local parts stores years ago. Everything for my truck comes from he UPS man. Even after paying or shipping I save lots of money. Get on WWW.rockauto.com or genos garage or any other site you see mentioned around here.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by #2isgreen
I gave up on local parts stores years ago. Everything for my truck comes from he UPS man. Even after paying or shipping I save lots of money. Get on WWW.rockauto.com or genos garage or any other site you see mentioned around here.

I have found that it works best for me to do the research and then go to the local parts-store already equipped with the correct part-number that I need and make no mention of what it fits.

I know that they don't hire Einsteins to work behind counters; but, to compare parts-guys today to the ones of 30-years ago is not fair either.

Back then, there were maybe ten different makes of vehicle and vehicles hadn't even existed for very many years, so there wasn't much room for mistakes.

Today, there are hundreds and hundreds of makes/models, with dozens of options available within each model, and thirty more years of changes to add to the mix.

It is no wonder we now have to put up with all this "I can have it tomorrow" business; with so many millions of tiny pieces to choose from, it's a miracle that they can even get stuff that quick.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Partsdude
I bet "that guy" gave you a tensioner for a 5.9 gasser ... how do the 2 compare?
Pulleys look the same? Locating pins in the same place? etc ...
The pulleys look identical, the pin is in the same place, it just seems to be thicker all the way around. They're both dayco tensioners but the #s on the back differ between the two(wasn't sure how long the old one was on thought maybe it was a discontiued part#).
Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Are you absolutely positive of the routing of your belts ??

I have never had the least problem removing/replacing belts on the many Cummins around here; we just use a normal ratchet in the square hole and it is an easy one-man job.

It reads to me like maybe you are routing the belt wrong if you are having that much trouble getting it on.
I'm about 99% sure.Routed it just like it came off which is the way the diagram shows it to go. I got an 83" belt on there but it's not what is supposed to go on there and it's bothering the **** out of me. My new dayco replacement is supposed to be in today, so gonna try that this afternoon after work.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 AM

I have found that it works best for me to do the research and then go to the local parts-store already equipped with the correct part-number that I need and make no mention of what it fits.

I know that they don't hire Einsteins to work behind counters; but, to compare parts-guys today to the ones of 30-years ago is not fair either.

Back then, there were maybe ten different makes of vehicle and vehicles hadn't even existed for very many years, so there wasn't much room for mistakes.

Today, there are hundreds and hundreds of makes/models, with dozens of options available within each model, and thirty more years of changes to add to the mix.

It is no wonder we now have to put up with all this "I can have it tomorrow" business; with so many millions of tiny pieces to choose from, it's a miracle that they can even get stuff that quick.
You're absolutely right bearkiller, never thought about it like that . It's just easier for me to blame somebody else for my impatience
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by #2isgreen
Slide the belt on to the alternator last. With a nice foot long breaker bar its defiantly a one man job.

Ok I slid mine under the water pump last because it was a smooth surface. When the new belt comes in I'll try the alt. last thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I do this also, amazing if they can get the part number I asked for it is right. It is too bad, but they do not hire good parts people here. I have gone in asked for a part and get " we can't get that" go home look it up on their web site and what do you know, they can get it.