1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Analyze my performance, Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Analyze my performance, Need opinions

Hey guys, I want to thank everyone for the very important forums you all have posted, especially the veterns.

I'm at the point where I have a few questions about my performance and if my adjustments are correct. My truck runs awsome and smooth, but I'm scared that the pump might be adjusted too far or adjusted improperly. Tell me your opinions, please.

-The star wheel is adjusted all the way, tight (down).
-My low idle screw is almost backed all the way out. It lacks about 5-6 threads.
-Full fuel screw in to the rough threads where the weld was.
-High idle screw still untouched (would it help to run it out?).
-Full boost at WOT 26-27 lbs, is that good, great, not good, normal?????
-It doesn't smoke excessively, only romped to the floor and still a little black smoke.
-Fuel pin/cone turned to the deepest spot towards the front

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track?
Old 02-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If your temps are OK and the truck isn't slow to return to idle, and you don't think your smoke is excessive, then I think you're doing fine. You can back the high idle out some, just make sure that the screw is still the stop, not the pump internals. That will give you a little more power up top - not much, but any free power is great.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I see in your signature that you have a 3200gov spring. If this is so then backing out the high idle screw should make a very noticable difference.

Your EGT guage is your best indictor of whats going on in the engine.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:16 PM

that soundes pretty awesome, what tranny do you have, and what have you done to it, i want to start modifying my 91 W-350 but i have th getrag manual, and i dont wont to ruin it (im a college student and have little money to buy a new tranny)
Old 02-19-2004, 10:31 PM

I have an auto. Its holding up fine so far. No mods to it yet but I am thinking about installing a deeper pan and temp guage.

So some searchs on threads about Gertangs. There are some small things that can be done to extend their life such as overfilling them.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:11 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

cLAYH,

Your current mods have you at or over the handling capacity of the stock auto...
You absolutely need a trans temp gauge in the outlet line.
See if you can get your hands on a second hand line... weld in the "T" coupling for a temp sender and use that to replace you existing outlet/crossover line. It won't leak if you weld the "T" fitting in place.
I'd also suggest you put it part way up the verticle rise were it goes to the bottom of the primary heat exchanger/cooler on the side of the block... that way you won't have any conflict with the other oil line which is right up tight beside the outlet line were it crosses in front of the bell housing/inspection plate area.

You'll also want to redo some of those settings once you have larger injectors.
Your timing should now be set to 15-16* advance as well...

Pastor bob..
Old 02-20-2004, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the tips, I will definetly be putting in a tranny temp gauge before towing season but for the commuting I' doing now I think I'm ok.

What is the weak spot for these trannys? Over heating them or physically blowing out the planetaries? Frying the TC or clutches? Just curious so I can watch for signs of trouble.

Don't think I'll be going to bigger injectors for quite awhile, if ever. Cann't see forking out that much money. Possibly an old smokey pin. Not too sure how long we are going to keep it as we have a new born on the way in June. The truck rides REALLY rough and has no A/C. By the time I upgrade suspension and add A/C I may as well sell it and buy a 2nd Gen. We'll see I guess. I'm going to price out A/C systems and airbag kits today.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the tips, I will definetly be putting in a tranny temp gauge before towing season but for the commuting I' doing now I think I'm ok.

What is the weak spot for these trannys? Over heating them or physically blowing out the planetaries? Frying the TC or clutches? Just curious so I can watch for signs of trouble.

Don't think I'll be going to bigger injectors for quite awhile, if ever. Cann't see forking out that much money. Possibly an old smokey pin. Not too sure how long we are going to keep it as we have a new born on the way in June. The truck rides REALLY rough and has no A/C. By the time I upgrade suspension and add A/C I may as well sell it and buy a 2nd Gen. We'll see I guess. I'm going to price out A/C systems and airbag kits today.

Oh, also I have advanced the timing 1/8" on the cover already.