1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

amp gauge doesn't move

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amp gauge doesn't move

After about 25 miles, in hot weather, I had to get a jump. It sounded like a classic dead battery. While waiting for brother to arrive , I had the hood up so the starter would cool. In that time it didn’t get any better. After a couple of minutes with the rescue vehicle charging it up, and it started right up. Another 10 miles home, and parked in front of my shop, I did the screw-driver against the back-side bearing test. (supposed to have a small magnetic pull?? Couldn’t feel anything) Switched it off, left hood open.. After a 25 minute unsuccessful search for the voltmeter, I went out, and tried it. It fired up. I let it run for maybe 30 seconds and switched it off. I figured it wasn’t enough time to heat-soak the starter. 5 seconds later, I tried again. Barely turns, and stalls against the next compression stroke. While I had it running, I was looking at the amp-gauge. It, basically doesn’t move. Lights (they’re bright) and/ or blower motor on and off. It doesn’t move. It’s on the charger at the moment. The problem may well be the battery, but the amp-gauge has me spooked. Anybody noticed anything similar?

no, I didn't look at it when I was cranking it over. (should have, and will)
lights are bright, but dim almost all the way out when the starter is engauged during the unsuccessful attempts.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron E
After about 25 miles, in hot weather, I had to get a jump. It sounded like a classic dead battery. While waiting for brother to arrive , I had the hood up so the starter would cool. In that time it didn’t get any better. After a couple of minutes with the rescue vehicle charging it up, and it started right up. Another 10 miles home, and parked in front of my shop, I did the screw-driver against the back-side bearing test. (supposed to have a small magnetic pull?? Couldn’t feel anything) Switched it off, left hood open.. After a 25 minute unsuccessful search for the voltmeter, I went out, and tried it. It fired up. I let it run for maybe 30 seconds and switched it off. I figured it wasn’t enough time to heat-soak the starter. 5 seconds later, I tried again. Barely turns, and stalls against the next compression stroke. While I had it running, I was looking at the amp-gauge. It, basically doesn’t move. Lights (they’re bright) and/ or blower motor on and off. It doesn’t move. It’s on the charger at the moment. The problem may well be the battery, but the amp-gauge has me spooked. Anybody noticed anything similar?

no, I didn't look at it when I was cranking it over. (should have, and will)
lights are bright, but dim almost all the way out when the starter is engauged during the unsuccessful attempts.

You may need a stater but i would make shour that the battery terminals and posts are spotles and after you get it started next time , hopefully you have found a volt meater to read the voltage. also check the main power cable at the alt and se if it will light up the test light! ya may have a bad fusable link?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 PM

you may have a bad voltage regulator to. If you remove the voltage regulater and the back of it is all bubbly....it dead! it could also be bad though and look good on the back
Old 06-01-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I'll get to checking after work.
Last night I gave it the battery a good charge,. Fired it up this morning and all seemed well. But, something seemed odd. It didn't have the usual warm glow of the top, and bottom brake warning lights. (i've grown accustomed to them) They were on yesterday. Today, they're not. They light up when the switch is turned on, and the top one works when the em-brake is on. I'm guessing the brakes haven't fixed themselves (though I've been patient) so I'm "assuming" I have some electrical issues. More as it developes.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ron E
Thanks, I'll get to checking after work.
Last night I gave it the battery a good charge,. Fired it up this morning and all seemed well. But, something seemed odd. It didn't have the usual warm glow of the top, and bottom brake warning lights. (i've grown accustomed to them) They were on yesterday. Today, they're not. They light up when the switch is turned on, and the top one works when the em-brake is on. I'm guessing the brakes haven't fixed themselves (though I've been patient) so I'm "assuming" I have some electrical issues. More as it developes.
If your talking about the brake worning light for the rwal system then it might just be that the wire from the frame to the sensor,in the diff has made a temp conection