1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Am i screwd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am i screwd?

Ok so after thinking it over a bit, i realized i have never installed a tach on a diesel. i ordered the autometer arctic white tach 2 1/16 size. do i need anything else?

ive searched and found tons of info for this iss tach and some plug under the dash for a tach hook up but nothing for autometer

**i have a 92 4x4**

any insight would be great. do i need a special harness. or anyone have a how to setup instructions to make this painless. gracias.

jiMMy
Old 05-18-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing it's not the Autometer "Diesel tach". My Autometer tach has a magnetic pickup that goes on the alternator to read the engine speed. If it is a gas engine tach I don't think it can be wired into the `92 tach harness under the dash, I could be mistaken though.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:32 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=ATM%2D1397

this is what i bought! it showed up today. hope i dont have to send it back. its the only tach that matched the other gauges i bought. thanks..

anyone else!

jiMMy
Old 05-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You dont HAVE to have the harness, but it makes it simpler. The harness uses a ground, signal, and 2 ignition power. The black wire in the harness on the far end is the ground for the tach. The orange next to it is for your illumination power, the black wire beside it, is your DC pos. power. And the grey with light blue tracer wire is your signal wire. The yellow wire in the harness is not needed.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:45 PM

sweet, ill dig out this harness you speak of tonight after work and locate these wires. instead of getting the matching plug i can just run spades into the harness from the tach is what you are saying.

jiMMy
Old 05-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Yessir, that is what I did.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Monty
You dont HAVE to have the harness, but it makes it simpler. The harness uses a ground, signal, and 2 ignition power. The black wire in the harness on the far end is the ground for the tach. The orange next to it is for your illumination power, the black wire beside it, is your DC pos. power. And the grey with light blue tracer wire is your signal wire. The yellow wire in the harness is not needed.
ok so i got the gauge here now.

tach wires - truck harness
white - orange illumination
blk - blk ground

red - blk dc power
blk - blk ground
green - grey w/ light blue tracer

would you say this correct or should i call autometer to make sure this tach is compatible. i dont see why it wouldnt be, these seem to match up to your discription of the harness.

thanks againg, just tryign to not to blow 100 buck on this tach.

jiMMy
Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 PM

if the tach you got is for a gas engine it is set up for a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine, and it gets its signal from the coil. Usually there is a switch on the tack to set it for how many cylinders the engine has because it uses the coil signal which will get 4, 6, or 8 "spikes" per engine cycle.(ie. each time a cylinder fires the tach gets a signal). On this engine because it uses a sensor on the the crank shaft, unless i'm mistaken there is only one signal per cycle. This being the case your tach if you hook it up will read way slower than the actual speed of your engine. So unless the tach is setup for one "signal" per 360 CAD it will not work. Unless there are more "signals" per cycle from the crank sensor.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Administrator

The wiring sounds good. I didnt realize you didnt know if it was for gas appl. only. So, it might not hurt to call autometer.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:26 AM

PICS?

Wut's da chances of gittin' sum pics of the installation?
I want to do mine, but I'm leaning towards the ISSPRO gauge.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM

i can get pics no problem, probably do it this weekend. just got off the phone with autometer. the tach i bought wont work. they sell part number 2888 2 5/8 desiel tach which ill probably order. and send my other one back. oh well. thanks a ton for input guys and ill get some pics of the install. jiMMy
Old 05-19-2004, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by apwatson50
if the tach you got is for a gas engine it is set up for a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine, and it gets its signal from the coil. Usually there is a switch on the tack to set it for how many cylinders the engine has because it uses the coil signal which will get 4, 6, or 8 "spikes" per engine cycle.(ie. each time a cylinder fires the tach gets a signal). On this engine because it uses a sensor on the the crank shaft, unless i'm mistaken there is only one signal per cycle. This being the case your tach if you hook it up will read way slower than the actual speed of your engine. So unless the tach is setup for one "signal" per 360 CAD it will not work. Unless there are more "signals" per cycle from the crank sensor.
This is what I was thinking too, plus you don't ned a 7000 rpm tach in a Cummins, it will have alot of unused rpm on the face and be harder to read in lower rpm.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:41 PM

http://hp.autometer.com/instructions...nstruction.pdf

here is the instructions , looks like i dont use the harness for the pulse. but i can use it for the ground/dash light/andignition 12v.

once again thanks for teh heads up and info guys. learning more and more everyday about my new truck.

jiMMy
Old 05-19-2004, 03:21 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I have a full-sized (3 3/8" I think) Isspro tach on my truck -- they have a whole series of electronic tachs that can be calibrated for a wide range of pulses/rev.

For the record: my '91.5 truck did not come with the CPS, but it does have the two trigger notches in the damper, so I am using the Isspro sending unit with no magnets, and have my tach set for two pulses/rev.