1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Aluminum Dually Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum Dually Wheels

Anybody got any nice dually wheels or know where I can get some that will fit right?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
If you have your heart set on aluminum wheels, then read no further.

But, if you're mind is not totally made up, then maybe some of my many years of tire-shop experience can steer you from one of life's pitfalls and you can spend the money I saved you on something nice.

Honestly, aluminum DRW wheels are nothing but trouble.

Plain steel wheels with stainless simulators look much nicer, outlast the truck, and are not near the headache.

To run right, aluminum wheels MUST be hub-centric, with proper flange-WASHERed nuts, not the "simulated" ones that are on the 1st Gen.s.

Being much thicker, much longer studs are required.

Galvanic corrosion will sieze the wheels to the hubs, requiring someone to crawl under the truck with a sledge-hammer and beat them off.

Galvanic corrosion will also cause the lug-threads to gall, thus stripping the threads from both lugs and studs.

After a couple years, the bead seats will calcify and develop deep pits that will cause continuous rim leaks.

The dis-similarity of metals will constantly corrode the valve-stems; at our shop, we often resort to two pairs of vise-grips for the simple task of removing a metal valve-cap that has siezed from galvanic corrosion.

Most brands of aluminum DRWs are steer- and drive-axle specific, and even inner and outer specific, thus one can't easily move tires from one end to the other.

There are exceptions, and I am sure there are several who have had no negative issues with aluminum wheels; but, most that have no problems don't service their own tires, leaving the real headaches to people like me.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you have to baby alum. wheels, after a while they'll get that chalky look to them and you'll have to put that industrial stuff on that burns you skin... yada yada.

I like the idea of chrome simulators better, wash them and thats it.

Also chrome always seems to have more POP than alum. wheels.

If you do go aluminum wheels BE SURE you get clearcoated wheels. or have them cleared, this will protect them
Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
bear, i'm not implying that i take offense to what you're saying, but i have aluminum wheels on my truck and have had no problems. when it comes to my truck, i do as much of the work as i can to it with what tools and skills i have. i do check my tire pressures about once a month and check wear patterns. i have yet had to add even 1psi of pressure to my tires. all my tires are load range e. my fronts are 10 ply, and i only run 60psi in them. they're specifically steers judging by the tread pattern. my rears are a/t's and load range e as well, yet i only run 40psi in them. unless it comes time to tow something, then they receive the full 80psi they call for. so if it's not too much to explain, what should i understand when you talk about servicing tires?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 AM

jimbo486 what BearKiller runs into where he is at is probably true. On the 1st gens I can't say but on big trucks that run up in the rust belt states you see alot of problems. Living where I live and where you live we don't experience this near as much. I have one big truck that came out of the rust belt and the aluminum wheels on front had to be beat off the hubs due the electrolosis build up around the lug bolts. They have plastic inserts to put between the wheels and between the wheels and hubs to slow the process down. I've never had any that was leaking around the bead, but I can see how it can happen. But I agree on the simulators being easier ect., but the old school bullet hole aluminum sure looks good.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you do go aluminum wheels BE SURE you get clearcoated wheels. or have them cleared, this will protect them

If you like yellow rims after a while go ahead.

A noncleared rim is easy to clean up. Every few years I dig out some 600 sandpaper and do a light sanding. Then follow with 1500 and water. Throw the mothers to it and done. Takes about an hour a rim.

My rims are 16 years old now. American racing bullets.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
bear, i'm not implying that i take offense to what you're saying, but i have aluminum wheels on my truck and have had no problems.
Originally Posted by RollinCoalSmoke
jimbo486 what BearKiller runs into where he is at is probably true. On the 1st gens I can't say but on big trucks that run up in the rust belt states you see alot of problems.

No offense meant and none taken.

Climate/humidity does have a strong bearing on any aspect of a vehicle (even on fence-posts and mailboxes, for that matter).

Here in Kentucky, it rains 369 days of the year; we never have any snow (at least none in the last thirty years; we used to actually get big snows), but the vote-seeking politicians lay the road-salt on like snow was a foot deep; the salt actually windrows a foot deep between the lanes; humidity is constantly so high that 3rd generation children have developed gills; early in the morning, you can take a towel straight from the dryer, hang it over a chair inside, and actually wring water from it that evening.

Taking our damp moldy climate into consideration, it is no wonder we have problems with aluminum wheels.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM

i loved my aluminum wheels on my 2nd gen and i live on a island we have salt in our dirt and i never had a problem ,just keep em polishesd and smear some wheel bearing greas on the mounting surface when you put em on and when its time to take em off they come right off. I plan on getting a set for this truck when i can afford it