1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Alternative Fuel Tank Supply Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative Fuel Tank Supply Ideas

All,

I have found at that my air has to be coming from my pickup assembly not fuctioning properly. What "APPEARS" to be happening is this: The round disc behind the mesh on the bottom of the assembly must have a hole in it thus filling with diesel and keeping the supply from the tank itself cut off or at least restricted. Best I could tell, if its filling with diesel, its riding lower behind the mesh and the little rubbler stopper that holds it in place is sealing thus not allowing much fuel to enter the assembly. From that, my guess is my truck is running off mostly returned fuel, and whatever is getting past the disc or splashing in from the side. When I had the assembly out last week, I vaccum tested from the top connection all the way to the pickup tube, with no leaks, so that is what has me thinking the disk is the culpit. All of that said, one odd thing is even when my truck is 100% full of fuel, it still sucks air. I also put new 3/8 fuel line from the LP to the tank.

My question is this, how sucessful has everyone been with running a basic hose pickup that lays on the bottom of the tank running towards the back? I've read a few threads where folks have run their supply lines this way, but I was unclear just how good this setup was. With my truck not being a play truck, reliability is more important long-term, than not trying to suck air for just a 1/4 mile pass.

All input is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to repair or replace the pickup first. You can get them off the big aution site for not too much. I got a junk one with a broken line fitting for $20. I'm going to mod it for my setup to see if I can get the fuel gauge working again. A line in the bottom of the tank will work, but you can't let it run low. Also, terminate it near the center of the tank to lessen the effects of braking and acceleration when running low. Best would be a sump.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Ford trucks are notorious for the brittle plastic bell-bottom strainer on the suction-line to break off and leave the end of the draw-line open at about the third-of-a-tank level, therefore running out of fuel when there is still plenty in the tank.

The most common practice, and what I had to do to mine, is to simply clamp a length of plain old diesel-proof hose onto the draw-line and weight it such that it lays on the tank bottom.

I "swallow-tail forked" the end of mine so that it can't suck itself against anything and shut off the flow.(you old ear-notchers will know what a swallow-tail fork is)

I also weighted the end by poking a wire through one leg of the swallow-tail and tying a heavy nut onto it.

It has been like this for many a mile with no negative issues, has never sucked air, and I can run the tank almost bone-dry.

So.............., YES, you can run on a simple hose laying on the tanks bottom.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Ever thought of using a sock at the end of the line like the GM's diesels had?

It was a mesh sock about 3" long at the end of the pickup and it would draw diesel through it but it would reject any water that was in the tank.

I also liked the way that under the wheel well there was a Water Drain petcock so you could siphon the water out of the tank.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I also liked the way that under the wheel well there was a Water Drain petcock so you could siphon the water out of the tank.

Back in the good old days, before column-mounted dimmers, just about all fuel-tanks had a "sump" with a petcock water-drain.

I have witnessed some awfully nasty-looking stuff drained from them.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
Best would be a sump.
Ace, thanks - I'll check around on the net. I considered the sump, but my fear is that would open up the possibility of fuel theft. I saw one on a 1stgen and it stuck out pretty low on the bottom of the tank, and the ones I saw could only accommodate rubber fuel line. A good sharp knife and a bucket could leave you with a dry tank. Are there sumps out there that have allow for the use of aluminum/ss lines at least up to the frame rail?

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Ford trucks are notorious for the brittle plastic bell-bottom strainer on the suction-line to break off and leave the end of the draw-line open at about the third-of-a-tank level, therefore running out of fuel when there is still plenty in the tank.

The most common practice, and what I had to do to mine, is to simply clamp a length of plain old diesel-proof hose onto the draw-line and weight it such that it lays on the tank bottom.

I "swallow-tail forked" the end of mine so that it can't suck itself against anything and shut off the flow.(you old ear-notchers will know what a swallow-tail fork is)

I also weighted the end by poking a wire through one leg of the swallow-tail and tying a heavy nut onto it.

It has been like this for many a mile with no negative issues, has never sucked air, and I can run the tank almost bone-dry.

So.............., YES, you can run on a simple hose laying on the tanks bottom.
Swallow-tail fork - my goodness, I have not heard that since my grandfather used to run hogs wild in the national forest. Good suggestion.

I have all the parts to do the bulk-head fitting like BC's write-up in the sticky. I plan to try and confirm that disk is the problem, fix it if possibly - hoping it has a hole or something in it, and then install a secondary supply line laying on the bottom of the tank so that if my "fixes" don't work, I'll have a fall-back plan and not have to drop the tank again. Appreciate everyone's advice!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropping the tank isn't that big of a deal as long as you get it nearly empty first. I don't know why people seem to be so shy of that. As far as fuel theft goes, if they want it, they'll take it, no matter what. A drill bit is even easier and faster than cutting a line with these plastic tanks, plus you can put the hole where it needs to be to get every last drop.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
As far as fuel theft goes, if they want it, they'll take it, no matter what. A drill bit is even easier and faster than cutting a line with these plastic tanks, plus you can put the hole where it needs to be to get every last drop.

Back when fuel was over five-bucks a gallon, some thieves did just that to a bunch of diesel trucks parked in one of those "park and ride" lots.

They waited for everyone to leave for work, then emptied the tank of every diesel truck in the lot by drilling a hole in the tanks bottom.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
Dropping the tank isn't that big of a deal as long as you get it nearly empty first. I don't know why people seem to be so shy of that. As far as fuel theft goes, if they want it, they'll take it, no matter what. A drill bit is even easier and faster than cutting a line with these plastic tanks, plus you can put the hole where it needs to be to get every last drop.
Ace, your right. Its two bolts holding it in. The reason I hate it is I have neck problems and laying under the truck looking up for some reason aggravates it.

Your right on the drill bit - but its like locking your doors at home, if someone wants in, they'll get in, I guess it just keeps the honest folks out.

Appreciate everyone's advice.