1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

air horn

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
air horn

yesterday I was stuck in heavy traffic south of New Haven with several occasions to use my horn (* cutting in front of me, dummies texting while driving, etc.)

the stock horn just doesn't cut it vs. today's stereo systems

so of course I'm now thinking AIR HORN to rattle some windows

has anybody used a kit from Jason at Air Horns of Texas?

This kit is $320, would mount the compressor and tank along the front center wall of my tool box to keep it dry

Last edited by BC847; 06-27-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Implied Language
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the same compressor and a similar tank on my setup, though my horns are different. The compressor keeps up just fine for the horns, but for use as an OBA system, it's quite slow. Filling tires, for example, takes a while, and it's clear the compressor has a hard time keeping up.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 PM

OBA = on-board air?

I would imagine that the tank could top off tires, which is all I would use the Y fitting for

I never operate my truck on sand or soft material, so no need to air the tires down.

I am a stickler about cold tire pressure tho'
Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already had on board compressors and a tank. I added a 4 trumpet air horn from Flea-bay. I will find out who and post when I get home. It is VERY LOUD!
O.K., What is an "*" ????????

Last edited by BC847; 06-27-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Implied Language Quoted
Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderhog
O.K., What is an "*"?

now, back to airhorns: I plan to mount that long chrome trumpet underneath my big front bumper, can't decide which way to point it (or GET TWO and point them in opposite directions )

Last edited by BC847; 06-27-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Language, shortcuts, & implied language
Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SORTIE
OBA = on-board air?

I would imagine that the tank could top off tires, which is all I would use the Y fitting for

I never operate my truck on sand or soft material, so no need to air the tires down.

I am a stickler about cold tire pressure tho'
Yup. It'll top off a tire just fine, but it ain't fast. I added 10PSI to a small car tire the other day and it worked just fine.

As far as the horn goes, one thing to consider is the pitch of the horn. My guess is that big horn is going to be low and deep, which sounds cool and all, but perhaps not as startling as a higher-pitched horn. The ones in my rig sound a fairly high pitch and are dissonant in tone - they even make me jump a bit in the cab when I hit the switch for them!

Here's a video comparing the electric horn on my rig to my airhorns:

Last edited by BC847; 06-27-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Language
Old 06-27-2011, 03:33 PM

I'm told that the longer the trumpet, the lower the sound

I'm looking for something that will let someone know that I don't approve of their behavior

I had a young punk in a VW sedan very nearly clip my front bumper as he passed me on the right, and then swerve left less than 6" from my truck (at 80 mph)

as a matter of physics, I believe that the beltline of his car would have massacred by my bumper had he made contact, and he probably would have cartwheeled down the road after that
Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM

I don't want you guys to think that I drive around looking for trouble. I'm usually found in the right lane at a speed a little lower than the limit. I only get into the center lane to get around people that are traveling 10-15 mph beneath the limit.

Sometimes I think that hotshots count on guys like us to keep a steady, predictable pace so they can use as moving pylons

those are the people I want to "notify" (or record on video, look at the truck cam thread I started)

we are driving 3-ton rigs that can do a lot of damage if they come into contact with something weighing a lot less. but talk to any 18-wheeler on that topic.

for some reason it's up to US to take all of the precautions so thoughtless drivers can act as if we're not there
Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
The potty-mouth stuff will stop now.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
The potty-mouth stuff will stop now.
I honestly don't know what it means! Sorry!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by SORTIE

now, back to airhorns: I plan to mount that long chrome trumpet underneath my big front bumper, can't decide which way to point it (or GET TWO and point them in opposite directions )
Mine has 4 trumpets, and I mounted it sideways behind the front bumper between the frame rails (pointing toward the passenger side) Honestly, it really wounldnt matter which way it was pointed! It is MUCH louder than I expected it to me. I use it frugally, however, when I do, it garners attention!
I do not go around scaring pedestrians
I wanted something that could be heard on the highway over some idiots stereo. Mission accomplished!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have a single 30" Grover air horn mounted under my floorboard, it is operated using a lanyard control valve mounted above the drivers wind vent, air is supplied from a Viar 380-C electric air compressor and my dual air tanks are kept at 160 PSI and they are LOUD.

I have a set of horns that I am going to mount under the rear bumper to politely alert the pedestrians that cannot see me when I am backing up.

My compressors is plumbed using 1/2" Nyflex air brake hose to the tanks and the horn is supplied using 3/8 Nyflex air brake hose.

If you want an air horn that will get someones attention then get a Grover "Stuttertone" they are used on Fire Trucks.

The longer the trumpet the lower the tone that is emitted, the short air blast horns are high pitched like on European cars.

Jim
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to put a compressor on my motor and put train horns on it. I might need about a 40 gallon reserve tank, though.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Check out www.hornblasters.com They seem to have some pretty nice stuff, plus video with sound comparisons.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I have a single 30" Grover air horn mounted under my floorboard, it is operated using a lanyard control valve mounted above the drivers wind vent
cool, just like a big rig

but this horn serves as an auxiliary to the one in the middle of your wheel, correct?

which leads to the question: in what circumstances do you use it?

Quick Reply: air horn