1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Air Flow theory - Pressurized

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would help make it look nicer and would probably sound great, like putting a performance intake tube on.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do think it would look great, just saying there's other things you could spend time/money on that would be more beneficial.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by schamran
I do think it would look great, just saying there's other things you could spend time/money on that would be more beneficial.
Every performance project starts with the heads. The majority of resources expended by any racing team or project goes into the heads. Same with the aftermarket. If you want to make efficient power, you start with the efficiency of the pump (the basic engine) and work out. The way we have all done it is to take an extremely restrictive head, inlet and exhaust and just try to cram more into the input.
It's like taking a stock set of big block mopar heads and putting a dominator on the stock intake, use the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, and stuff in a giant roller cam. Doesn't make sense to me.
Yet, I have done the same.
I'm going to practice what I preach, yank my head, do my own porting, cut off the intake log and make an intake manifold, and make an exhaust manifold. Then I think pump and turbo mods will yield much bigger gains.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
^^ make it so
Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Got an exhaust manifold flange finished for mhuppertz custom manifold project. Turned out nice, just need to double check that everything will fit on a scrap head.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant wait to see how this plays out... I love this kind of thinking... I still think (if money was no object) that stroking one of these engines would yield something fun as well!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake

we had this on a 24valve killed the bottomend seemed to really show up top
Attached Thumbnails Air Flow theory - Pressurized-000_0019.jpg   Air Flow theory - Pressurized-000_0018.jpg   Air Flow theory - Pressurized-000_0017.jpg   Air Flow theory - Pressurized-000_0016.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Something to add to your poderations. Equal length may not equal equal flow.
Decades ago I worked with and manufactured ultra high vacuum chambers used in the electronics and other high tech industries. A rule of thumb we used was every 90° bend equaled a 50% loss in flow. With that in mind, a shorter pipe could have less flow than a long pipe if it had more bends. This can be used to an advantage for a tighter package, but the more bends works against you overall.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:14 PM

On the intake side, my thinking is along the lines of an air compressor. The larger the tank (think log), the longer it takes to refill (think lag). Runners are like air hoses not only adding volume to the tank, but also resistance to the flow. A smaller log (for balance), but equally fed from more than one point may be the ticket. Limits? If the size of the supply tubes and log are too long they introduce lag. If they are too small they introduce resistance to flow.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's nothing new here.

A wide variety of intake & exhaust manifold designs have been around as hard parts for years - many of them available for purchase.

Quality airflow is more expensive than quantity airflow; compounded compressors & excess fuel are "easy" ways to make power - but porting, re-valving, thermal coatings and long-branch individual runner manifolds cause the quantity to be of higher quality... often allowing the use of larger turbo(s) and heavier fueling through their concomitant increase in torque "under the curve", faster spoolup, higher mileage, better drivability, etc.
Of course, properly designed intake & exhaust tracts also increase peak power.

Whoever has the most molecules wins.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM

I wish these guys would get their butts out of the mud.
http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv.html
Old 03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Quality airflow is more expensive than quantity airflow; compounded compressors & excess fuel are "easy" ways to make power - but porting, re-valving, thermal coatings and long-branch individual runner manifolds cause the quantity to be of higher quality... often allowing the use of larger turbo(s) and heavier fueling through their concomitant increase in torque "under the curve", faster spoolup, higher mileage, better drivability, etc.
Thank you.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cougar
I wish these guys would get their butts out of the mud.
http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv.html
I think its more of marketability, than anything else. Its TOO good to be true and people don't like change... Also we tend to go for the lazy way out, take a carburetor for instance... its a sledge hammer solution to a surgical problem...how many years until EFI came into mass acceptance?

Plus there are motors out there that operate similar to that head, eliminating the pulsating all together, almost unlimited rpm and hp capability compared to a common gas motor. Low rpm Torque is the only problem because they are in the turbine family.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
See post number 10. The head is the restriction, not the intake/exhaust.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
There's nothing new here.
A wide variety of intake & exhaust manifold designs have been around as hard parts for years - many of them available for purchase.
Whoever has the most molecules wins.
This is a little depressing. I'm not trying to improve on the basic, rock solid industrial performance of the 5.9, I just want to take it to the next level in a way that raises my engines total potential. If I lose a little bottom end and a small amount of drivability, so be it. That's one of the reasons I drive a stick.

Quick Reply: Air Flow theory - Pressurized