1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Air Bags vs Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by CactusPete
So what is the ride like after you install them? Softer, harder or about the same?
When i'm unloaded i only run 5 psi in the bags, so no real change in the ride, when it has the camper in it (4,500lbs) i run 65-80psi and it is quite firm but feels stable.

Dar
Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
James1, you are correct. The intent of the air bag is not to soften the ride, at least when there is no additional load present. When you have such a heavy load that you would ride on the overload spring, then air bags may soften the ride by providing enough additional force to keep the truck off of the overload spring. Worst than being on the overload would be the sweet spot right before you need it and the truck slaps it on larger bumps.
An unexpected benefit I enjoy with the Kelderman's is added load capacity. I once loaded two tons of rip rap in the truck and was able to completely level the load by adding air to the airbags. (So I appeared to be legal anyway.)

I would not hesitate to use the Air Lift airbags on a newer truck with a softer ride. But on our bone-jarring First Gen beasts the Kelderman's are probably a better bet. Unfortunately, Kelderman's are expensive.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the kelderman system levels the load but does not help carry the load only air bags over the axel can help carry a bigger load
Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you install Keldermans and Air lift bags on the same vehicle or is it only one or the other?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Starter Sponsor

Correct me if I'm wrong but the kelderman kit replaces/moves the rear leaf hanger and puts a bag between this connection point and the frame. My only concern would be how much the kelderman can change the height between the axle and frame. If it can change it very much there would be concern with dislocating the bag brackets or even separating the bag as they are not designed to be pulled on.

If you are more interested I can contact our technical group and try to get a better handle on any complications this would cause. The biggest thing to me would be if you are adjusting the kelderman setup, if you simply set the pressure and never change it then everything should work fine together. The complication would come from adjusting both of them frequently.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the kelderman kit replaces/moves the rear leaf hanger and puts a bag between this connection point and the frame. My only concern would be how much the kelderman can change the height between the axle and frame. If it can change it very much there would be concern with dislocating the bag brackets or even separating the bag as they are not designed to be pulled on.

If you are more interested I can contact our technical group and try to get a better handle on any complications this would cause. The biggest thing to me would be if you are adjusting the kelderman setup, if you simply set the pressure and never change it then everything should work fine together. The complication would come from adjusting both of them frequently.
You are correct to a point about the Kelderman. It replaces the rear spring hangars but they do have stops for when you take the air out of the bag.

Personally, I am contemplating doing a 4 link with an airbag in the back and taking all but the main spring from the front to put a bag there. Should help ride and carrying capacity.

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
that is my next project adding air bags over the axel for load , and leaving the kelderman airbags for ride quality. usually I leave the keldermans at a pressure where the truck sits level and it rides great.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy clem
The Kelderman system levels the load but does not help carry the load; only air bags over the axle can help carry a bigger load.
I'm not sure what is the problem with this? So long as my load is level, I'm more than happy to let those bone-jarring Mopar springs carry the load. Those springs are so stiff I cannot imagine that I could possibly load weight on the bed sufficient to damage them.

The Kelderman setup also involves an integral Class V trailer hitch. I don't recall the proper names for all the parts but dislocating the brackets or separating the bags does not seem to be an issue. Photographs of the setup are available on the Kelderman website.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Starter Sponsor

The Kelderman kits look very nice, and a great way to improve the ride quality. I was simply commenting in regards to adding both setups to the same rig. I was more concerned with one bag trying to rip the end caps off one of the other bags by overextending them.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 PM

If yall find a way to integrate both of them successfully, let us know how you did it.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:37 AM

Honestly why would you want both? I think it would be redundant. Either use a Big inboard bag and eliminate all but 2-3 of the long leaves of the springs. Or if you dont want to modify so much use the Kelderman if you can afford it.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 PM

install air bags front and rear hold load for me in winter salt spreader and plow & 100 gallons of diesel fuel reduce air pressue when not in use