1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Afc grind help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Afc grind help

Ive ordered a 3200 spring and i figured since im gonna be in the pump i might as well grind the afc but the only problem is i have no clue what to do, i don't even know what it looks like. help?
btw ive tried searching already but couldn't find much info on actually performing the procedure. any help is appreciated
Old 10-22-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a thread with a link to Den's pictures. Informative stuff.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=lever+grind

and here's what to grind on when you're in there

This should get you started
Old 10-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you have to pass any kind of emissions test don't do it. There is no way to make it pass without a new lever. Also keep in mind that you will have to drive gently at low RPM if you don't want to fog the person behind you.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
If you have to pass any kind of emissions test don't do it. There is no way to make it pass without a new lever. Also keep in mind that you will have to drive gently at low RPM if you don't want to fog the person behind you.
why is that? will it haze at idle or something?
so do i just grind on that one corner and make it rounded?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:38 PM

Btw thanks for adding the link to the how to very help full, i really appreciate the help
Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

With a ground lever you get full fuel whenever you stomp on the accelerator. There is nothing to limit the fueling at low boost. If you floor it when there is no boost, you will put out a massive cloud of thick black smoke. It's like running with no spring in the AFC, try driving like that for a couple days and you'll see what I mean. You can drive clean, but you have to think about it.

Diesel emission tests are usually snap opacity tests. That is, they stick a probe in your tailpipe and have you stomp on the gas. With a stock AFC you might get a gray puff, that would pass. With a ground lever you will get a thick black cloud which will fail you instantly.

The pic Greg posted shows how you want it to look when you're done. The original of that pic is on the site he linked to, you can see how it looked before I did the "virtual grind" on it.

I'm not saying this is a bad mod - heck, I did it myself and I like it. I just want you to know what you're getting into.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:16 PM

So there is a good noticable power increase right? and you said taking out the afc spring will simulate what its like to grind the lever?, isn't it bad to drive with the spring out?
thanks for giving me the warning.
I just double checked the pictures and i see how the grind is done now, i guess you just rinse out the shavings with diesel fuel after?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:39 PM

I partially ground mine, and theres quite a difference. You will get plenty of smoke though...
http://potter.fotopic.net/p20822817.html

is what it looks like with it partially ground. You can simulate the smoke by taking the spring out, but grinding the lever increases fuel all over, whereas the spring will only make it smoke more.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by Underpsi
So there is a good noticable power increase right? and you said taking out the afc spring will simulate what its like to grind the lever?, isn't it bad to drive with the spring out?
thanks for giving me the warning.
I just double checked the pictures and i see how the grind is done now, i guess you just rinse out the shavings with diesel fuel after?
Yeah, you will definitely notice the power.

Pulling out the AFC spring will give you an idea of what the smoke will be like - except it will be worse with a ground lever. It is possible to drive cleanly, but you have to think about it at first. Driving around with the spring out won't hurt anything, but it will give you an idea of what to expect as far as smoke goes.

Once you grind the lever, put the spring back and run the star wheel all the way up to the top and back the smoke screw out. This will help a little with smoke and low boost EGT's.

I pack the top of the pump cover with paper towel pieces to keep as much of the shavings out as possible. Then I turn the cover over and shoot a bunch of carb cleaner in there to flush it out when I'm done.

Like Gman mentioned, you don't have to grind it all the way flat to get some extra power.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Dave, you just gave me an idea. Pull the spring and smoke those darn bicyclests.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:01 PM

My truck smokes a good amount now so the smoke doesn't bother me at all, im actually quite fond of it lol. thanks for the info guys i really appreciate it
Old 10-23-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
My truck smokes a good amount now so the smoke doesn't bother me at all, im actually quite fond of it.
Grind away!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:14 PM

taking the afc spring out didn't make a noticable difference with smoke
Old 10-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

You must have had the star wheel set pretty low then. After you grind the lever, run the star wheel all the way up and back the smoke screw out flush with the inside of the cover.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
You must have had the star wheel set pretty low then. After you grind the lever, run the star wheel all the way up and back the smoke screw out flush with the inside of the cover.
ok thanks, ya i think my star wheel is pretty low i haven't touched it in a long time, what can i say i like the smoke. It looks seems like it is kinda small and hard to get in there so what would be a good tool to use when grinding it? looks like a regular air grinder would be too big, dremel tool or something?

Quick Reply: Afc grind help