1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

AFC fuel pin sticking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFC fuel pin sticking...

first off, im referring to the pin that rides along the eccentric cone. im not sure if its referred to as the "AFC fuel pin". either way, i think you know what im talking about now.

today i grinded the foot on the lever inside the pump. i have already done the gov. spring so i was a lot more comfortable digging into the pump.

problem:

before i grinded the foot, this pin was sticking. i tried WD40 but it didnt work. i also did not have a small enough needle nose to move it around. are you able to take it out through the AFC eccentric cone area??? i noticed a plug that can be removed on the front of the top half of the pump but the AFC lever was in the way to pull the pin out that way, which leads me to believe the only way is through the cone area.

then i grinded the foot and put everything back together. cycled the throttle a few times with the AFC cone and cover removed (engine NOT running) to check this pin again. now it does not pop out into the eccentric cone area at all.

truck runs and smokes a lot more. i did not notice that much of a power increase, but more fuel is there from the smokemeter. i will be checking this pin again in a few minutes to see if by driving it, it loosened.

any thoughts on this? trouble areas that cause this? did i put the pump back together incorrectly?

thanks in advance, Pat
Old 05-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It ought to pop out when you cycle the throttle, even with the AFC lever ground. The reason you aren't feeling more power is because it's sticking. I'm not sure on how to get it free. Hopefully Bushy will chime in with some good suggestions on that.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had the best luck with di-electric grease, like for spark plug wires and such. Seems to hang onto the pin and lube the o-ring seal the pin slides through---actually cured a bit of a leak on my old pump I put a bit on the cone, too. Everything seems to move freely. The higher your starwheel is, the more it'll push back up on the cone when you're outta the loud pedal...that's the only 'return' I know of for the pin. Hope this helps.
greg
Old 05-10-2005, 05:53 PM

I put some dielectric grease on it and it still sticks but not nearly as much. Before the grease I could cycle the throttle and it didnt move, now I cycle the throttle and it goes but its abrupt rather than smooth. I will grease it a few more times just to see if it will loosen up to a smooth operation.

After I did that, I could feel a decent amount of power. The pin has full travel now. Smoke is of concern when getting on it, but keeping it that way for tailgating convertibles

Thanks, Pat
Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you haven't done it already, run the star wheel all the way up and back the smoke screw out flush. It won't hurt the throttle response, but it will help a little with the smoke. Don't worry, you'll still get full fuel when the boost comes up.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Yeah, I ran the star wheel to about an 1/8" below flush, could go some more. Smoke screw is screwed in a ways because it is fun to confuse the city folk...they think my truck is breaking down when it pukes out the pipe.

Its very controllable along as I dont have a "pedal to the medal" incident.

Pat
Old 05-10-2005, 07:24 PM

With the AFC housing removed and eccentric cone out, will the AFC fuel pin POP out of it's bore when you push the pedal to the floor? Or is there some kind of internal stop?

I think i'll give mine a bit of grease when i'm in there next.

Is this the fuel pin that you can upgrade to a PDR pin or Old Smoky pin. If so, how do you get the fuel pin out of the AFC area to put the new one in?

Anyone here do any experiments with the nylon stop? My fuel pin looks like it can go quite a bit farther on the eccentric but i'm not sure if the fuel pin will pop out of it's bore.......?

thanks

Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by sammy340
With the AFC housing removed and eccentric cone out, will the AFC fuel pin POP out of it's bore when you push the pedal to the floor? Or is there some kind of internal stop?

I think i'll give mine a bit of grease when i'm in there next.

Is this the fuel pin that you can upgrade to a PDR pin or Old Smoky pin. If so, how do you get the fuel pin out of the AFC area to put the new one in?

Anyone here do any experiments with the nylon stop? My fuel pin looks like it can go quite a bit farther on the eccentric but i'm not sure if the fuel pin will pop out of it's bore.......?

thanks

Jeff
Yes, it should POP out of its bore when throttle is given whether the cone is there or not.

***edit - from the look of the fuel pin on bully dog's site, it is not the same one*** I too would like to know how to get the pin out and if the o-ring can be replaced.

The nylon stop is noticed in others' sigs as shaved washer or something to that degree. usually they mention how much is shaved off. i eyeballed mine...i could see how far the pin had traveled and cut the washer accordingly. you can not cut too much off.

Pat
Old 05-11-2005, 12:30 AM

I went to the hardware store and got a #9 o-ring. It drops the cone about .062 farther. Seems to be just right.