1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

AFC Diaphram and Star Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AFC Diaphram and Star Wheel

I finally had a few minutes today to fiddle with fuel pin and star wheel. I know Dave and others recommend to bring the star wheel up flush with the top of the threads. Right now, the star wheel is .318" below the top of the threads. I should really bring the wheel up that far? And also, I thought I read once that Dave suggested dielectric grease to lube the pin? I'm I remembering that right?

I've rotated the fuel pin the deepest portion, and I'm going to shave the nylon washer to .020". Anything else?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I belive u want the star wheel,all the down,but thats just my opion.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I should have done a little more reading before I made my post. I was in a hurry to learn! I think you want the star wheel flush if you have a heavily modified fuel pin and/or ground AFC lever. I haven't modified the pin and I'm going to leave the AFC lever alone. Personally, I don't want the star wheel all the way down because I'm trying to make as little smoke as possible...I want the power to roll on with full boost. I've raised the wheel to .300" below the top of the threads. And I shaved the washer to about .080"...I got bored with sanding!

I also backed the smoke screw all the way out so it doesn't contact the fuel pin. Is there any reason to replace the cap on the top smoke screw? It got a little mangled in removal.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tuckerdee
I also backed the smoke screw all the way out so it doesn't contact the fuel pin. Is there any reason to replace the cap on the top smoke screw? It got a little mangled in removal.
Its really just a cover you can do as you please with it
Old 03-19-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
the starwheel doesn't seem to be a sensitive adjustment... it just is an highly adjustable spring stop. My starwheel is sitting on my desk here next to my keyboard as a matter of fact...
Old 03-19-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
the starwheel doesn't seem to be a sensitive adjustment... it just is an highly adjustable spring stop. My starwheel is sitting on my desk here next to my keyboard as a matter of fact...
you can also just take the spring out instead of the wheel, kinda easier then backing it all the way out
Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tuckerdee,
Rather than measuring the height of the starwheel, just run it down a half to 3/4 turn at a time, with a WOT test drive in between each run eventually, she'll smoke and you can simply go back to the previous setting and your AFC will be tuned for max power with no smoke With stock injectors, I think you'll be able to run that wheel down a fair amount from where you are

Trending Topics

Old 03-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
On the smoke screw - Once you have turned the main fuel screw up a bit, you can back the smoke screw off flush. As long as the truck give a little puff of black when you get on it, you have adequate fuel to spool the turbo quickly. Any more is just a waste of fuel.

And like Greg said, the star wheel is not a sensitive adjustment. I usually recommend that you play with it in 2 turn increments. That's big enough to feel.

Once you get POD's and turn the pump up, your AFC tuning strategy has to change from trying to get fuel as quickly as possible to trying to delay the extra fuel as long as you can.