1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

AFC boost line mod/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I plan on doing an intercooler upgrade when my CPA says i can lol. No motor but 518 is intact although an NV might be taking its place. It's in really great shape. Pictures don't do it justice, i was shocked when i pulled up to load it. I had to resort to some redneckery to get it loaded. Jacked the front up sky high, block it up mid frame, back the trainer as far under as u could, used a floor jack on the front crossmember and winched away. That guy was like but where there's a will there's a way. I was going to use it for parts for the crew cab but once the pressure washer hits it my mind might quickly change. Only time will tell.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Nice find, BTW, Vader.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 PM

Thank you, you'd be disgusted if you knew what i payed for it lol
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 PM

You gonna leave me and others hangin' on that one? Do tell
Old 01-17-2016, 11:12 PM

$200
Old 01-18-2016, 12:32 AM

Yes, I'm floored. Only in Texas I guess, LOL
Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Vader93
$200
They would have charged that much just to look at it here
Old 01-18-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
They would have charged that much just to look at it here
Awe heck, I bought Blue, rusty but running pretty good, for $1500.

Bought it for parts. Wound up running it as a work truck.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Awe heck, I bought Blue, rusty but running pretty good, for $1500.

Bought it for parts. Wound up running it as a work truck.
There you go.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
i posted this over on the other thread, but since this is the specific one that inspired me. here it is again.

well, because i'm a skeptic/a-hole, i too decided to do this "mod/upgrade" today to my afc cover. i've been meaning to do this for sometime now, just for ease of tuning, not because i think it will make a dang bit of difference.

So i drilled and tapped the cover for 1/8" npt, installed (2) 90* brass fittings with 5/16" outlet. connected with 1/4" ID tubing(the 5/16" looked massive, so i made the 1/4" fit). went for 30 mile or so test drive. as i expected, i notice no difference. I watch my gauges religiously while i drive as well. no change in cruising boost.

I have been following the talk on this topic for the past week or so and I really feel that y'all are experiencing a placebo effect. about the only argument you could make for any improvement is during acceleration, as the VOLUME of air that can travel through a 1/4" id tubing is greater than that of the stock setup. therefore pressurizing the afc quicker and moving the fuel pin down sooner. This being said, i couldn't tell a difference during acceleration. But, once at a sustained boost level, like when cruising down the highway, it will still require the same amount of pressure(boost) to sustain the same speed as it did with the stock setup(this is assuming no leaks). this is also why i highlighted the "with less boost" statement. how quickly the boost gets there doesn't change how much boost(pressure) is needed to lower the fuel pin and increase fueling. I hope I've made atleast a tick of logical sense here.

In closing, I say DO THE MOD, as it's convenient to tune the AFC, but don't expect any change in performance because of it.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:48 PM

As i stated in post #27 i did not feel an initial improvement either Mr. Fonder. The best thing about this mod so far is the ease of tuning as now you can just unscrew the 4 screws atop the AFC, flip it out of the way and adjust away. It's hard for me to really tell since i did this mod, tuned my smoke screw and adjusted my starwheel and hauled a trailer all at the same time so definite results were different for me. If for no other reason than easy access now this mod was well worth the 30 minutes and $10 to me
Old 01-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vader93
If for no other reason than easy access now this mod was well worth the 30 minutes and $10 to me
i agree with this statement whole heartedly.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:30 PM

Well now I've got myself wondering if i did this wrong. The tubing i used was 1/4" ID. And looking at Augies pics it looks like he drilled all the way through when he drilled his top out. I just went about an inch deep not all the way through. Might have done it all for nothing
Old 01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned

I drilled mine all the way through to 5/16. Didn't take much meat off, maybe 1/16.. Nothing t lose sleep over
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM

Mr. Fonder, glad you joined in! Sorry you did not get the results, that me and a FEW others have felt. I say few, cause maybe it could be the placebo effect. My original intent with the mod way back was when I had my bro in law machine me a power pin, I was running tests on that back and forth against the Smokey Pin I originally ran, doing power comparisons.Throw POD injectors in the mix, a Hungry Diesel AFC spring, and I was one busy guy back and forth opening up that AFC; starwheel up, then starwheel down. I thought, man, recrushing these banjo seals, over and over, and swinging the factory boost line back and forth, can't be good. There had to be an easier way.
So, came the mod, and I felt the difference in boost pick up. No power adder, just quicker on throttle response. Plus, popping off the AFC top w/o disconnecting the air line, big, big plus! Heck, for all I know, that stock AFC boost tube set up could have been leaking with as many times as I had been in there. That was like 3 years ago.
So fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. By now, I am all use to the AFC air, no big whoopsie anymore, but was wondering why still idle haze? Downsized in injectors, all IC boots tight, etc. Those fixes all contributed to minimizing haze, but I want zero to no haze. At the local Hose n Fittings I asked the guy that I've bought parts from for years if these push to connect fittings ever go bad. Not really, he says, but then he asks about my application, I say my Dodge, and he asks if they were DOT fittings. I say no, he says the DOT fittings provide a tighter seal, especially with vibration. So I buy 2 new ones. He explained for any vehicle use, DOT fittings are a must. They are used a lot for big rig air line applications. Took advantage and posted some pics on here (in hopes of sharing my experiences), take it for a test drive, and man, my older push to connect NON DOT were probably leaking, from vibration over time I suspect, as I feel the quick response again. If I were to get down and dirty with a description, there is no pedal to engine idle romp lag whatsoever. Very responsive.
Maybe all you guys are keepin your stuff tight all along, slipping in new banjo washers, or not into the AFC as much as I have, or I'm just plain lacking in keeping things toit. Toit like a Toiga! I don't know

Quick Reply: AFC boost line mod/upgrade