1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Advice on restore

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Advice on restore

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help. I almost have my cab done and I've been taking pictures as I go. I sand blasted the entire cab with a aluminum base blast. My question is, seam seal the entire cab or do I paint it with epoxy and then seam seal? I'm thinking I should paint it first and then go around an seam seal the crack in the cab?

Also, I just tested out eastwoods self level seam sealer and I don't like it. There is literally no shape to it. I'm going to try out an epoxy seam sealer that I have high hopes for. The price is a bit expensive but in the end I think it will be worth it.

On another note, has anyone flipped a cab over? I'm going to pull my truck out of my little garage and then flip the cab over on some wood. How heavy is the cab and can two guys do it.. maybe a wife. I would like to secure the bottom of that and rebuild it. Then go after it with a underbody spray once I remove all the rust.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
I just paint the seam sealer, its supposed to be paint-able anyway
Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bannerd
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help. I almost have my cab done and I've been taking pictures as I go. I sand blasted the entire cab with a aluminum base blast. My question is, seam seal the entire cab or do I paint it with epoxy and then seam seal? I'm thinking I should paint it first and then go around an seam seal the crack in the cab?

Also, I just tested out eastwoods self level seam sealer and I don't like it. There is literally no shape to it. I'm going to try out an epoxy seam sealer that I have high hopes for. The price is a bit expensive but in the end I think it will be worth it.

On another note, has anyone flipped a cab over? I'm going to pull my truck out of my little garage and then flip the cab over on some wood. How heavy is the cab and can two guys do it.. maybe a wife. I would like to secure the bottom of that and rebuild it. Then go after it with a underbody spray once I remove all the rust.

You can do the seam sealer either way. I did mine to bare metal and it worked fine. I use the self leveler 2 part in the drip rail but everywhere else I just use the normal sealer that you get at any autobody store. I don't buy the 2 part stuff for all the little stuff.

On flipping the cab over I would just lay it over on the back of the cab on a couple 2x4s I have had good luck with it and an empty cab is not too heavy to roll on its back me and the wife did mine pretty easy

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bryson711
You can do the seam sealer either way. I did mine to bare metal and it worked fine. I use the self leveler 2 part in the drip rail but everywhere else I just use the normal sealer that you get at any autobody store. I don't buy the 2 part stuff for all the little stuff.

On flipping the cab over I would just lay it over on the back of the cab on a couple 2x4s I have had good luck with it and an empty cab is not too heavy to roll on its back me and the wife did mine pretty easy

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Smart man, I didn't even think of that... that would work rather well. I might have to shift my bed back a bit but it should work.