1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Advice on my next mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on my next mod

well, my truck is officially a play truck as of now. I bought a set of new era 435's for 250 plus my stock injectors and I love them. I detuned my pump a little bit and as soon as my truck is warm, the injectors dont haze at all at idle. As long as I take it easy, egts are manageable and there isnt much smoke....but when i put the hammer down.....ooooo my goodness it is fun. My original plan before this deal came up that i just had to grab was to put a low pressure piston lp, then cooler tubes, and do a turbo and injectors at the same time. I havent really pushed my truck too hard since i have a stock lift pump and turbo. I would guess that im boosting in the 40-45 range since my boost gauge only goes to 35. As of now, i dont have a fuel pressure gauge. I am going to get a new boost gauge and use my current one for fuel pressure. from a reliability standpoint, would it be better to invest in a turbo or fuel upgrades? Both are in the future, im just wondering which i should do first. Also, A local turbo shop said they could build me an hx40 and machine the EXHAUST HOUSING that i currently have to fit the hx40. I have never heard of this before and since i was only quoted 450 dollars, im seriously considering it.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't do that deal with the turbo shop... then you don't gain the 4" exhaust outlet like you would with a real hx40,

can't they sell you a 60/65/16 HX40 ???

i'd get more air before fuel..but a PISTON lp is a good idea to help the injection pump and free up some HP....you should put that at the top of list

Thought about a clutch?? with the power added from the injectors your clutch may be slipping real soon, ask 1bad93
Old 10-15-2009, 03:05 PM

i have a luk clutch as it is and another clutch layin around...will there be any reliability issues for now if i keep my stock lp.... for now, im going to take my pump back to stock settings to keep everything safe until i get upgraded parts..ive also noticed that my truck no longer likes to start on steep inclines, is this normal. Also i changed my mind on the turbo, im going to try my luck at a 351ve off ebay.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
first thing I would do is turbo and lp plp seeing as how you already have the injectors in. then work on more air. I don't think you can ever have too much air.

I know the 351ve is different then mine but I really like my 351cw. Big difference in spoolup time and much less smoke (at least halved my amount of smoke) and more power. If I had to guess I'd say I'm getting real close to 300 hp at the wheels now but I haven't had it on a dyno since before my exhaust and turbo. I plan to get a cam and then put it on the dyno. I still have my fuel screw at stock settings too. Stock tranny as well :S As you can see, I have a few things I need to do as well. I'm pretty sure I can feel the stock converter sapping a LOT of power now that I've got the turbo and exhaust on there.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM

I say work on your supporting systems first before you start with the big power mods. Like transmission, cooling, fueling, etc.

Once you have a good base, you can turn it up with no worries.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 AM

Get an upgraded turbo, Then get ur fuel system upgraded.