1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Adjusting Shift points, TV Cable maxxed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting Shift points, TV Cable maxxed

Hey guys,

My truck should be moving much better, but the tranny is holding it back. Even at WOT it shifts from 2-3 at 28mph or so and even earlier when I"m driving light.

The PO put a nut and bolt in the rear most part of the TV cable slot so the linkage pushes it further, allowing more adjustment in the TV cable. I have it set up so it's maxed out at WOT and it obviously didn't help much (it did a little though)

Any other adjustments to make? When I'm manually in 1 or 2, I can feel MUCH more torque as it winds up, but my shifter isn't too smooth moving up in gears, but it is smooth moving down (guessing a rooster comb issue). Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you move your throttle linkage to the inside hole?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try this, take the darn spring off that pulls it tight to the throttle. Then push it about 1/2 to 3/4 way back and take it for a burn. I have both my 92's set up that way. It may seem crazy, but it works. Some guys even take it off and zip tie the pressure lever on the trans all the way back. Poor pans pressure lock.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM

A.) No, throttle linkage in original, outside hole

B.) hmmmm.... spring? I think mine is already gone. Mine is never tight to the throttle and I've always thought this odd. It is quite often just floating somewhere in the middle of the long slot. With this and the bolt and nut the PO put in the elongated hole of the cable so as to get full travel, I can assume that this truck has had issues before.

I'm curious if the tranny got rebuilt or something and never was right after? The head also looks un painted, like it was a new one or something. I'm thinkin the truck had some work done. It obviously had someone do a LOT of wiring that half knew what they were doing... and half NOT knowing.

Any other pointers to check??
Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 PM

lol, under heavy throttle mine does the opposite... 2-3 shift at 52 mph then it shifts to OD at 53 mph.

Have tried the TV cable in all positions.

Works fine when towing my camper though.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by The_Head
...2-3 shift at 52 mph then it shifts to OD at 53 mph.

Have tried the TV cable in all positions....
The cable doesn't affect the OD shift point, as it is electronically controlled by the computer, have to adjust the TPS
Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 AM

so has anyone had this issue? What are the guys with the 3200rpm spring doing to change theirs?

I was thinking about moving the lever for the TV cable on the shaft, I assume it's splined. I'm gonna try zip tying it full open at first and see if it even helps, if it does I"ll do what I just mentioned. Perhaps the PO had a rebuild and didn't put it back on the shaft correct, idk.

Anyone that has been in the tranny know if there is a seal or something inside that commonly leaks and doesn't allow line pressure to build up?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 AM

I have had my 3200 rpm spring in for a year now, and when I put it in we didnt have to do any cable adjustments, it still ran great. That was a different transmission though.

You could check your pressure by hooking up to the pressure port on the right side of the trans with a hydraulic line and a gauge.. Thats a vague description, I know. It should be 1 psi for every 1 mph or something like that. If you hook up to the wrong port you will get a super high pressure reading, like 200 psi...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 AM

if the tv cable is moving freely on the throttle how is it supposed to know when and how much pressure to build? put a return spring on it and adjust it so it just barely touches the rod and see how it feels...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SMKHZRD has this same problem, it shifts way to early. Has 3200 rpm spring. He has a super tight converter from Goerend in it. It used to shift around 2900, after the converter it shifts at 2300. We have messed with tv cable numerous times to no avail. Dave from Goerend said that is typical of the tight converter. He is sending us some springs to put in the trans and some instructions for installing them. Supposed to be easy, and it will prolong shifts a little longer. I think its weird that we can put 3200 rpm springs in, and in some trucks the trans shifts later, and others shift at the same spot as before. The guy at the trans shop said that he has seen identical trans from identical trucks have different parts in them.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM

I'm having the same problem. Truck shifted fine until I put my 366 spring in a couple of weekends ago. Now it shifts way early, I can barely feel it shift. My tv cable is tight against the throttle so as soon as the throttle moves, the tv cable is moving. I was thinking about putting a small bolt in there like your p.o. did, but now I don't know if it will do any good. Mine shifts at 1-2@ 10mph; 2-3 @ 18 mph; 3-4 @ 38 mph.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickcher
I'm having the same problem. Truck shifted fine until I put my 366 spring in a couple of weekends ago. Now it shifts way early, I can barely feel it shift. My tv cable is tight against the throttle so as soon as the throttle moves, the tv cable is moving. I was thinking about putting a small bolt in there like your p.o. did, but now I don't know if it will do any good. Mine shifts at 1-2@ 10mph; 2-3 @ 18 mph; 3-4 @ 38 mph.
im in the same boat
Old 09-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
If you bottom the TV linkage at WOT you can damage the VB, there is and adjustment on the VB for KD psi....I can see the pic in my head, just cant find it...I`m workin on it.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by SOOT4BRAINS
SMKHZRD has this same problem, it shifts way to early. Has 3200 rpm spring. He has a super tight converter from Goerend in it. It used to shift around 2900, after the converter it shifts at 2300. We have messed with tv cable numerous times to no avail. Dave from Goerend said that is typical of the tight converter. He is sending us some springs to put in the trans and some instructions for installing them. Supposed to be easy, and it will prolong shifts a little longer. I think its weird that we can put 3200 rpm springs in, and in some trucks the trans shifts later, and others shift at the same spot as before. The guy at the trans shop said that he has seen identical trans from identical trucks have different parts in them.
hmm interesting. I guess i will be giving Dave a call when i get sometime. I have a Goerend VB and converter and with the T.V. cable set up the way the instructions say mine will shift from 1-2 at ~12 and 2-3 at~23 and 3-4 when ever i hit the switch.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM

I moved my throttle linkage from the inside hole back to the outside hole. Slightly better but still too early.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Shift points, TV Cable maxxed