1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Adding cab lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding cab lights

I want to add some cab lights to my 91 W-250 and was wondering if anybody else has done this and how exactly you ran the wires for them? The previous owner took the cloth headliner out of my truck, and I don't see any way to get the metal inner liner down so I could get to the wires. The only thing I can think of is to get another cloth headliner and drill through both roofs (the outter and inner) then run the wires behind the cloth liner. Anybody have any other ideas?

Chris
Old 01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'M with you bud ! i will be doing this to my truck soon ! I need all the info you can get ??? anybody out there done it ??/
Old 01-12-2006, 01:19 AM

I've done it to a chevy, you cut only the top skin of the roof and fish the harness through the space between the roof with a length of mechanics wire. Make sure you take plenty of measurements off of another truck if possible and do a "mach up" with the lenses before drilling holes. Look in the dodge service manual for the wiring placement as the harness usually runs down one pillar of the cab. I'd guess the wiring runs through the drivers window pillar as it is closest to the fuse box, but thats just a guess.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:23 AM

i put them on my truck. what i did was just pull the headliner down and take off the left post plastic. Ran the wires up the post and under thehead liner. Im not sure how to go about it without the headliner, maybe go to a junk yard and get a head liner.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:44 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did this on my 89 D350 gasser.........

laid out the lights and marked the holes on the top of the roof.
Drilled the mounting holes, and a 1/2" hole under each light for teh wiring.
Got a 12 foot peice of 1/8" steel cable from TSC and fished it through teh wire-hole closest to the passenger side, across the roof and down the drivers side pillar( yes took several trys and was a PITA) pulled the electric wire through, fishing up a loop through each wire-hole to attach to the lights.
spliced it into the wire for the running lights coming out of the headlight switch. Each light grounded through one of the mounting screws.
I also filled each wire-hole with clear silicone to prevent leaks.
from insied the cab, you couldnt tell it had been done........
Old 01-12-2006, 05:13 AM
BHD

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts
I rewired the aftermarket lights on my '77. Once you lay out the holes and drill them fish a piece of clothes hanger or something as stiff between the outer and inner shells via the back of the cab by the upper seatbelt mount. Solder all your connections and use good shrink wrap or generous amounts of liquid elec. tape. Also mine leaked until I used black windshield urethane, local auto glass guru says reg. silicone holds water.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:41 AM

Fish the wires

I have done several double steel wall cabs, Fords & Chevys. You should fish the wire through the cab as some have already mentioned. I like to use wide masking tape on the top of the cab where the lights are going. I mask off the cab which allows me to measure and draw all the lines I want without marking up the truck. Then after I have laid out all the holes, I run a "boarder" around the drilling area. This catches all the iron filings and keeps them from going all over the place. I make the boarder by only sticking down half of the tape and leaving the other have sticking up with the sticky side faceing the drilling area. The shavings will stick to the tape. As mentioned, I drill a half inch hole for the wire under each light. This makes it easy to fish from one hole to the other. I touchup paint all the holes and then use a rubber gromment on the 1/2 inch hole to protect the wire and also it works good to keep the water from getting in the cab. I remove the sunvisor on the drivers side to help fish the wire down the windshield post and grab the wire from the first light. I hope this helps. Gene
Old 01-12-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I didn't think it would be as easy as just getting the metal liner down inside and being able to see the outter shell from inside!!! Does anybody know where I could get a set of factory looking cab lights other than the dealer or searching around a junkyard? I had gotten some factory looking cab lights for my 95' from JCwhitney but they don't list anything for a gen I. Or do ya have any ideas what other style cab lights would look good on it?

Chris
Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

lights

I just got my lights from ebay ,look under (hellia cab lights ) this guy hase 77-92 aftermarket dodge cab lights ! he raised his price about $80 now !
Old 01-15-2006, 10:01 AM

thanks I'll check that out!

Chris