1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ABS and Brake lite on help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 PM
DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS and Brake lite on help

Hi, my abs and brake lites are staying on. It started a couple days ago, not long after I hooked up wiring for my camper. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but I did probe several wires in the harness looking for the tail and turn sig wires. I also noticed that after the trucks sits for 5 or 6 days the vacuum booster loses vacuum. Vacuum pump checks ok, brake fluid ok, no leaks, stops good but pedal seems like it might be a little softer. Anyway the book says to get the codes to ground the diagnostic connector for the abs but it dosn't say where the connector is. Anyone know where it is and also it seems like you could get some codes by turning the ignition key on a few times anyone remembere how many times and what codes should turn up? Thanks for any help
Dave
Old 07-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
The ABS module is behind the glove box -- open the glove box past its stop, and you will see the Kelsey Hayes module back there, and should be able to find a black wire that terminates in an opne plug. Ground that plug with the ignition on and the ABS light will flash the codes for you . . . I think that there is a code listing in the tech facts section. After you pull the code, unplug the module for a few seconds to clear the code, and take it from there.

Good luck,

Alec
Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 AM
DJ

Thanks Alec, I wanted to be sure, don't like grounding wires when I don't know what they are. I'll check it out right now.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Theres a chance the tone wheel in the diff munched the sensor. You can pull the sensor located on top the diff.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DJ,

I’ve gone through this whole scenario with my son’s truck and I think you need to look at the low vacuum sender. It’s located on the fender and has a vacuum line and electrical connection on it. I would start there and check the lines that terminate at the vacuum brake booster, any one of those lines or “T” that goes into the booster could be suspect. My son’s happened to be a bad diaphragm in the LVS which told the ABS light to come on and caused the loss of vacuum.

GW
Old 07-22-2005, 03:53 PM
DJ

Well I had a code 4, unplugged the module for a minute and re connected. Everything is working ok now. Could be by probing the wires with a test light I set a code that wouldn't go away. Got to go to Sacto tomorrow so will get a chance to check it out.