1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ABS and BRAKE lite on

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS and BRAKE lite on

I have a 99 Dodge 2 WD, stock for the most part. The ABS and Brake lite were on, at start up, after sitting in the drive way for about a week. The brake lites work, the cruise control works, the speedometer works, the resovoir is full, I have cleaned the battery cables, and the ground and I have replaced the front brake pads. I have checked for codes with a code reader (its a cheape from Pep Boys but has never failed me before) (no faults detected). I have found a spot in the wireing harness just forward of the rear axel where the protective covering over the 2 wires comeing from the speed switch(?) is ripped open, but the internal wires appear to be intact.

I assume if the brake lights and the cruise control work that the switch on the brake pedal in the cab is ok.
I assume if the cruise contol and speedometer work that the speed switch on the differential and the wireing from it is OK. Or is this switch only for the ABS!
Do you need a special code reader for ABS, or does the 99 even throw ABS codes.
Any ideas where to go from here?

Glenn
Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Glenn you will get the answer you need if you post is the second gen area . they know the truck better then us First gen guy's .
Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Ok sorry thought first and second were lumped together. It took me two days to figure out how to post at all.
Thanks for the come back.
glenn
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM

OK drove it down to O Rilys today.
Speedo did not work untill reaching about 20 MPH, I had missed that before.
O Rilys will not check fault codes, Its the law, those wonderful law makers in Sacramento looking out for us again.
Bought a ABS switch for rear Dif. ($31.00) installed, started truck, and the ABS lite and Parking Brake lite are out.
Taped up and tied up wireing harness and think I am back in business.
Reading all the good advice here sure helped me to find and fix. Should have not needed to post at all but what the heck, now I am famous right?
Glenn

a