1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A518 Transmission - while I'm in there...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A518 Transmission - while I'm in there...

Okay, I installed the TRANSGO shift kit, at leat all that could be with the tranny still installed and I'm reasonably pleased with the results, but it further reinforced the need for a better torque converter. I ordered the 15XFM HD Towmaster from Hughes and will be installing it soon.

My question is if there are other relatively simple things that I can and should do to the tranny while it's out? I have a very well equiped garage, though I don't have specially for automatic transmissions. I have a press and have rebuilt rear difs, manual transmissions and transfer cases and am not afraid of too much. What about bands, planetaries, etc.?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear alot of talk about 2nd gen flexplates 'round here.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep, the stock flexplate won't last long once the power gets turned up. Definatly a good time to do it.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by goodtyms
Okay, I installed the TRANSGO shift kit, at leat all that could be with the tranny still installed and I'm reasonably pleased with the results, but it further reinforced the need for a better torque converter. I ordered the 15XFM HD Towmaster from Hughes and will be installing it soon.

My question is if there are other relatively simple things that I can and should do to the tranny while it's out? I have a very well equiped garage, though I don't have specially for automatic transmissions. I have a press and have rebuilt rear difs, manual transmissions and transfer cases and am not afraid of too much. What about bands, planetaries, etc.?
the only thing that i would consider......with a race tranny, is the the one way clutch or sprag!.......there is a bolt on one of these sprags that is way stronger then the factory,cus when these thing mess up it make a real big mess,(thay usaly get damaged when a drive line brakes under full power) but this would require a full dissasemble and if your going to do that,you might as well order the rebuild kit with red line clutches in it!!

I have herd guys on here talking about 4.....or 5?gear planitary sets made of iron instead of aluminum!
all of these would be thing to research if your going to go racing,pulling,mudboging exc.
I don't own a auto so my apinion as hire shay not fact
Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
I hear alot of talk about 2nd gen flexplates 'round here.
Yep, already have one on the way!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:46 PM

I got my second gen flex plate yesterday. It sure looks thin, but I haven't seen the first gen one yet.

What about bands? Looking at the A518 service book, it seems like at least the front band is easy to replace. Are the kevlar bands better for towing and abuse?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 PM

I got my second gen flex plate yesterday. It sure looks thin, but I haven't seen the first gen one yet.

What about bands? Looking at the A518 service book, it seems like at least the front band is easy to replace. Are the kevlar bands better for towing and abuse?

Thay hold up to a lot more abuse so.....i would say yes!

ya, pull the pump and it right there ,but......i wouldn't do it unless your going all the way thru with them!
the way thay grab, will be different and could cause a pour timing of the shift! IMHO.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would't do just a band, your most of the way there, just toss a master rebuilt kit at it and get all new seals, clutches, steels, etc.