1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A518/46RH ? Arrrg!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
A518/46RH ? Arrrg!!

So when I'm looking in the FSM regarding rebuilding my heap's transmission, am I to refer to the 46RH instructions?

The FSM never mentions an A518 specifically by that designation.

Naturally, the 46RH instruction deals with a lock-up converter.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A518 and 46rh/re are the same; neither should have a lock-up converter. Lock-up's came with the 618/ 47rh/re.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 AM

My 95 2500 with a 360 had an A518 with a lock up converter
Old 07-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

After research... http://www.redrider.us/727_transmission.htm

Oh, well, will you look at that... Apparently there is such a thing as a "three wire" A518 which does have lock-up.

But all A518's behind the Cummins are "two wire" and do not have lock-up.

Which leads to a whole host of questions that I have no previous knowledge of even existing, and that I am even less prepared to answer.

But as for which manual to use, I guess it depends on what you're doing with the transmission...
Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by DieselKnuckles
After research... http://www.redrider.us/727_transmission.htm

Oh, well, will you look at that... Apparently there is such a thing as a "three wire" A518 which does have lock-up.

But all A518's behind the Cummins are "two wire" and do not have lock-up.

Which leads to a whole host of questions that I have no previous knowledge of even existing, and that I am even less prepared to answer...
I didnt mean to offend anyone I was just stating a fact, sorry
Old 07-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

Heaven's no, I'm not offended. I'm just totally surpised that gasser 518's came with lock-up.

Now I need to know how hard it would be to modify a "two wire" A518 to a "three wire" A518, what these wires are that they're talking about, why they didn't put lock-ups behind the Diesel in the first place, and what differences exist between the two breeds beyond lock-up (i.e. will following the manual on a three-wire 518 ever get you in trouble if you're working on a two-wire 518).

Your epipheny brought up a whole donkey cart of questions. The "PATC 727 to 518 Conversion Kit" that is listed on the link I posted, for example, is awfully alien to my pre-established notions...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 AM

This thread could get interesting real quick when some of the tranny gurus wake up in the mornin' and get ahold of this! (Not saying the above posters arent tranny smart) This is the first I've heard of this too, but I doubt it'd be a simple swap, especially where auto tranny parts are concerned going from gas to Diesel. I'm betting the gasser trash would end up puking real quick due to torque levels it was never designed to operate in!

But, I'll keep watchin' this thread
Old 07-24-2007, 06:41 AM

is a 360 and diesle bellhousings the same?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselKnuckles
Now I need to know how hard it would be to modify a "two wire" A518 to a "three wire" A518, what these wires are that they're talking about, why they didn't put lock-ups behind the Diesel in the first place, and what differences exist between the two breeds beyond lock-up (i.e. will following the manual on a three-wire 518 ever get you in trouble if you're working on a two-wire 518).
I'll have to check and make sure the right number of passages are in the main cases on the A518 as compared to a 47RH/RE. If they have the same number of passages the only real differences are in the input shaft, the front pump cover and the valve body. But, adding a lockup converter to a first gen is a little more involved than changing some transmission parts, check the sticky at your leisure for the '2nd gen auto in a 1st gen', I did a write up that pretty much covers everything that needs to be done on the truck end of things.

Originally Posted by Murf
This thread could get interesting real quick when some of the tranny gurus wake up in the mornin' and get ahold of this! (Not saying the above posters arent tranny smart) This is the first I've heard of this too, but I doubt it'd be a simple swap, especially where auto tranny parts are concerned going from gas to Diesel. I'm betting the gasser trash would end up puking real quick due to torque levels it was never designed to operate in!

But, I'll keep watchin' this thread
Gas transmission cases and diesel transmission cases are completely different. Some of the internal stuff is exactly the same in the gas/diesel transmissions, servos, bushings, soft parts, clutches, plus a few other minor things. There are some things that are similar, Similar being the key word. They would work in a diesel trans, but would not live very long, this includes a lot of the hard parts, planetarys being the major difference. Gas 727/518's would have had a 3 pinion front planetary, A518 diesel would have had a 4 pinion one, 47RH has a 5 pinion one. All three of the previously mentioned are aluminum planetary carriers. The 47RE came with a 5 pinion steel carrier planetary which is what I used in my trans.

Clear as mud? Good, hope I didn't confuse too many people.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 AM

It's way too early for that much information.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 AM

When McMopar serviced my tranny, he was surprised that the VB included the machining for a lockup solenoid... but I'm pretty sure he said there was NO provision for the internal wiring...
Old 07-24-2007, 07:41 AM

Also, The input shafts between a lock up and non lock up are completely different and do not have the same number of splines. I found it was less costly to find a lock up tranny and swap it than it was to buy the needed parts to make my non lockup 518 a lockup tranny.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Another thing to look at is the length of the torque converters. I believe the non lock up t/c's are a half inch shorter. That means you would need a different adapter to bolt up the tranny to the engine if you change to a lock up along with the other stuff.
IMHO it would be wiser to get a 47rh from a second gen and do some tricks with the wiring to get the lockup to function.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boatnik
Another thing to look at is the length of the torque converters. I believe the non lock up t/c's are a half inch shorter. That means you would need a different adapter to bolt up the tranny to the engine if you change to a lock up along with the other stuff.
Its about inch shorter from a non-lockup to a lockup unit.

Here's the thread in the sticky for those who are interested.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=114702

I agree with scottmn1, you can probably buy a whole rebuildable trans for the price to buy just the parts needed to convert an A518 to lockup. I picked up a 47RE for $300, when I got inside there was really nothing wrong with it, I wound up converting that into a 47RH using some of my A518 overdrive parts.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by JD730
I agree with scottmn1, you can probably buy a whole rebuildable trans for the price to buy just the parts needed to convert an A518 to lockup. I picked up a 47RE for $300, when I got inside there was really nothing wrong with it, I wound up converting that into a 47RH using some of my A518 overdrive parts.
Maybe some of you more knowledgable tranny folk could outline the differences between all the models?

A518 vs 46re vs etc...? Please?

Quick Reply: A518/46RH ? Arrrg!!