1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 w250 late shifts? all out of adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 w250 late shifts? all out of adjustment?

my shifter linkage was off on my 93 and causing a hard shift into 3 so i readjusted that and then went and adjusted the tv cable. its shifts better now but it seems a little late. normal driving it shifts into 2 around 25 and into 3 about 35-40. when it shifts its not hard just seems like its shifting at higher rpms. when i really get on it shifting into 2 is about the same but into 3 its shifting around 45 mph. the same day i did the adjusting i also put in a 366 spring. witch meant readjusting the idle, throttle linkage, TPS and re-indexing the throttle shaft. if i have the idle or the throttle linkage off could that cause late shifts aswell?

also of the line the truck moves but at 50+ mph when i hammer it it doesnt shift of od and seems a little slugish. i think i got everything just slightly off. lol
Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM

anybody?? could use some help..
Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM

please?? i would like to get this problem taken care of before i screw my trans up..
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Try posting this in the first gen area......
Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by patdaly
Try posting this in the first gen area......
He is in the first gen area

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by studie
my shifter linkage was off on my 93 and causing a hard shift into 3 so i readjusted that (What/how did you change here?) and then went and adjusted the tv cable (This will cause late shifts. Might try moving it back a little). its shifts better now but it seems a little late. normal driving it shifts into 2 around 25 and into 3 about 35-40. when it shifts its not hard just seems like its shifting at higher rpms. when i really get on it shifting into 2 is about the same but into 3 its shifting around 45 mph. the same day i did the adjusting i also put in a 366 spring. witch meant readjusting the idle, throttle linkage, TPS and re-indexing the throttle shaft. if i have the idle or the throttle linkage off could that cause late shifts aswell? With minor tweaks as you describe, I would say no.

also of the line the truck moves but at 50+ mph when i hammer it it doesnt shift of od and seems a little slugish (Try tweaking the TPS so as to have it shift cloer to what you like and see how that works with everything else). i think i got everything just slightly off. lol
I think your last sentence above perhaps sums it up. Just tweak things a little, one more time and see how it works.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM

thanks bc847, i adjusted the shifter linkage under the truck by the tranny. the bolt that hold the shifter linkage and the tv bracket got loose and threw everything out of wack. (when i had the truck in reverse the needle was saying it was in neutral, drive the needle was saying it was in 2. i couldn't even get the truck down into 1 and when i went to take the key out i had to pull the shifter up with my hand and use my other hand to remove the key)

i just wanted to get some input on this issue and wasn't sure if i was looking in the wrong direction to get the truck back to normal. i was thinking that just maybe i was over looking something or maybe something else needed to be adjusted. my biggest problem is that i dont have a tach so i dont no what im idling at or really shifting at. so im just waiting for my tach set up to come in the mail and ill hopefully get it dailed in a little better.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
1st Generation Admin

- The pointer needle is adjusted under the steering column. Set it with the truck in park.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
- The pointer needle is adjusted under the steering column. Set it with the truck in park.
i know that the needle adjustment is under column. but the needle itself wasnt off. it was the whole linkage. i couldnt get the truck to go into 1. and the key wouldnt come out because the shifter was down so low. when i had the truck in drive the shifter was so low i would almost bump it with my knee. so the needle wasnt off the linkage underneath was off.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Generation Admin

i know that the needle adjustment is under column. but the needle itself wasnt off. it was the whole linkage. i couldnt get the truck to go into 1. and the key wouldnt come out because the shifter was down so low. when i had the truck in drive the shifter was so low i would almost bump it with my knee. so the needle wasnt off the linkage underneath was off.
With getting away from the computer, the thought finally connected that you're talking about the adjustable connection of the column-shifter's down-rod. Right there where the down-rod connects to that pivoting shaft that is bolted to the frame on one side, and the bell housing on the other.
It seems like I would ensure the transmission was in Park, the column-shifter in Park, and I'd push up on the down-rod a little while I tightened the set-screw (bolt).
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM

the tv cable is also on that bracket. and thats what threw it out of adjustment. i got it almost right..just a little more tweaking.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
1st Generation Admin

the tv cable is also on that bracket. and thats what threw it out of adjustment.
Yup, got'cha.

I not too long ago renewed that shaft thingy (torque lever?) and its associated plastic bushings. On mine, those plastic bushings were certainly worn, but they in turn, had worn substantial grooves in the torque-lever. All of which was introducing a lot of slop in the linkage assembly.