1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 ctd smokin bad and shakin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 ctd smokin bad and shakin!!!

allright i dont know whats going on so hopefully some of u fellas can help me out. i drove my 93 today about 30miles stuff her off left her outside for 2hrs got back in it to move her closer to plug in since its 10 degrees here! put key in fires right up but nothing but blueish white smoke and lots of it!!! and the truck is just shakin terribly!! i push the pedal down to give her some fuel and it about shuts off!! put in gear to pull ahead and just about falls on her face! feels like a piston isnt firing or something is pluged. has a new fuel filter and a rebuilt injector pump with about 20,000 miles i dont know whats going on if anyone with some info drop me a line thanks guys!
Old 03-09-2003, 06:56 PM

Re:93 ctd smokin bad and shakin!!!

fuel gelled?
Old 03-09-2003, 07:02 PM

i dont think so i just put new fuel in it last wednesday and i have left the truck in the yard not plugged in the whole month of feb cause i couldnt figure out why the battery was going dead as soon as i tried to start it but figured that out. and after sitting there for the whole month i went out and started it and she fired right up like it hasnt been 5 degrees outside all year so i dont know whats up with it now?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Muted User

I took this quote from Bushy on an earlier post:<br>The fuel solenoid has a double spade connector on it. One wire feeds what I call &quot;trigger voltage&quot; to open the solenoid, and the other wire supply's &quot;maintainence voltage&quot; to hold it open once the truck starts. Both go thru the same contact on the solenoid. I think the trigger voltage is 12v, and the maintainence voltage is 10v but that needs to be confirmed.<br><br>As for the KSB, you won't hurt your pump if it's not connected or used, but you will have harsher starts, more smoke, and rougher idle without it.<br>What happens with the KSB function is this.. the solenoid increases the internal pump pressure from about 4bar to 8 bar, pretty much doubling it.<br>That increase serves to increase pump timing advance. That increased advance smooths out the idle, reduces the smoke etc.etc.... it is only on a relatively short time, depending on temps of course, but it is a help on initial startup. You are likely to have more raw fuel, maybe even some washdown on the cylinder walls, depending on your injectors, without it. You will certainly have a little more soot deposits on the injector tips, that is until you warm it up and drive it hard to clean them up.<br><br>Bob. <br> <br> I have had experience with the mercedes diesels dumping fuel and losing the coating of oil from the piston skirts. Without this thin coat of oil on the skirts the compression goes from 400lbs to 175lbs.Causes lots of smoke on the affected cyls too. You have a simple problem posing as a severe one. Dont worry, Im sure the fix will turn up quickly. I saw another post with the same conditions. I'm gonna try to find it.<br> -Jim-
Old 03-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

The color of smoke you see is most often caused by cold starts with poor timing advance and or no KSB operation.
Can you confirm your manifold heater is working/not working?
Does it clean up after it has warmed up? Are there any residual signs after it's warm, idle still poor, smoke etc?

Bob.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:40 PM

ya heater works!! it will run but just smokes like a ****! i just have to c in the morning if she will go or not ill kept u posted tommorow what happens. thanks guys<br>
Old 03-10-2003, 12:15 AM

I would guess the fuel is straight No 2 if it has been stored. The wax will plug that fuel filter until you get some kerosene or climitized fuel in there. Perhaps you could use a hair dryer to warm the fuel filter but do not leave heat unattended. If that does not work, try hair dryer to blow warm air at air intake behind bumper, passenger side. Does same as grid heaters only better, engine thinks it is summertime.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:45 PM

well i made it fired right up this morning did the same thing shakin and smokin then about 3 mins of running it just quite doing it all together! runs fine sounds normal! i drove to work no problems plugged it in at work all day which i do everyday since its been so cold here! i just got off work started right up fine and drove home like nothing ever happend? maybe the fuel was starting to gel and just caught it in time???? ill keep ya posted if anything else goes wrong! thanks for all ur comments!!! Andy!
Old 03-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever check the KSB Solenoid and the spade terminals?
Old 03-10-2003, 08:29 PM

[quote author=OkieBroncRider link=board=9;threadid=12019;start=0#114140 date=1047343664]<br>Did you ever check the KSB Solenoid and the spade terminals?<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>i tried to tell him about that in chat...but not srue if he ever checked this morning
Old 03-11-2003, 01:58 PM

the first instance happens to me sometimes, it was warmed up, but then sat long enuf to get cold, but not quite cold enuf to kick the heaters. I'll get some smoke and shakin then. Haven't had that problem off a plugged in start or when the heaters cycled tho, since I had my pump turned up
Old 03-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Assuming pump, injectors, and KSB are ok, you have two issues I think....<br>One is the pump timing setting, and the second is perhaps a low idle.<br>You should double check those things because they can really be a factor when cold.<br><br>bob.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:14 PM

ya i checked the ksb as soon as it started to doing it and it was fine. rpms r fine. must of had some bad fuel cause i dumped some ps in it and it stopped and hasnt done it since and plus i guess the wheater has helped been over 50 for a week now ;D maybe it was gelling up? dont know everything is going great now! thanks for all the info! Andy