1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 518 auto to 94 47RH swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 518 auto to 94 47RH swap

I have been posting and reading posts on here gathering knowledge on this swap for awhile now, but I still have a couple of questions I need answered to make certain I get the right parts for it. My goal is to get a lockup torque convertor so I can install an exhaust brake. I understand from everything I have read is that to replace a 93 518 non lock up to a 47RH w/lockup I need a 47RH from a 94-95 diesel truck or a 94-95 V-10 truck. I have also read that I need the adapter plate and the starter from the same truck the transmission is coming from???? Is this correct? I have located a 94 V-10 truck with a 47RH. Will the engine adapter plate and starter from it be the same as what I need since it is from a V-10 truck? ....................It's been awhile since I installed the transmission that is in my truck now(it had a 5 spd and I put a 518 in it) so my memory is cloudy on this, but I thought the transmission bolted directly to the engine block when I installed it and the adapter was removed because it was only used in front of the manual transmission. Again I don't remember the details. Anyway, I am going to go get this transmission and I want to make sure I get the right parts for the swap the first time. Thanks guys for the great help!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 04-26-2006, 07:42 AM

The adapter is to allow a cummins to be installed on a chry. tranny, I think that the adapters between the 518 would be that same.? but I would get the adapter just to be save!

Cummins and jake brake did allow it untill chry went to the 48RE. I don't now why, it may not be a big deal
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 AM

thanks txs. Will the 47RH from the v-10 truck bolt directly to the Cummins?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottmn1
thanks txs. Will the 47RH from the v-10 truck bolt directly to the Cummins?
It should, its the same outer case, but like txs said, the governer weights are different. Also I wouldn't recomend putting a torque converter out of a V10 (would it even fit?) in there either.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 PM

I figured the torque convertor would be different, but I didn't think about the governor weights. How difficult and expensive is that to have done, or is simple to do myself.(I am not familiar with the internals of a transmission).

Thanks, Scott
Old 04-26-2006, 01:44 PM

If your not familiar with it don't do it..........Acually i think that the governer in the tail shaft!.....is it 2wheel drive? it will be on the gound,not in the truck Just had a brain fart
I'm not formilear enuff with autos trannys so i will stop hear.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:01 PM

Yes, the governer is in the tail section (overdrive section). You'll have to pull pretty much everything out of the OD section to get to it. I think its the 2nd thing to get put into the case when you build it.

I haven't done one yet, but I'm planning on it real soon.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:03 PM

I spoke with the local transmission shop and he confirmed the governor weights were different gas vs diesel and is in the tail housing. He said they were not any big deal to get to and change. I called the dealer and the weight kit sells for $17.00.(list)> Thats the cheapest thing I have priced for anything on this truck!!!!

Now, since i will have to buy a diesel torque convertor to replace the one that will come with the transmiison because it is from a V-10 gas truck, what is the opinion of you guys on what convertor to buy and how much to spend? Please go to my photo gallery and you will see the truck in the configuration it will be loaded most of the time I drive it. Keep in mind it is a toy, gets pampered, and will only be driven about 5,000 miles per year. Naturally I want to get one that will do the job, but I would like to keep my money in my pocket if its not NEEDED to be spent on the torque convertor. I know I have seen some of these convertors sell for over $1200.00, but does a guy like me, using this truck the way I will, really need to spend that kind of $$$$??

Thanks again.Scott
Old 04-26-2006, 07:39 PM

I would give Dave Gorenend a call and see what he can do for you. I just ordered a 3 disc unit from him. There is nothing more aggervating than a torque converter that doesn't pull well in fluid coupling.

I don't know what kind of weight that rig of yours is, but a good single disc with the proper vavle body setup should do fine for the little bit of driving your going to do.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 PM

The truck as you see it in the photo with the car on it weighed in at the truck stop scales at 13,600 lbs. I might want to pull a car trailer with a car once it while, and that might add another 4500 lbs or so to the overall weight. I am new to pulling this much weight and am also new to the Cummins diesel, so I am lost to what set up I would need to do the job right.

Scott
Old 04-26-2006, 08:39 PM

Thanks JD,
I found Dave Goerend's website and read about his business. It really sounds like he knows what he's doing. What did that convertor cost that you bought from him if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:18 AM

I got his 3 disc with the lifetime warrenty for $1200. I also went with a valve body because when we tow its heavy, gross combined typically is 23,000lbs.

Lets just say I'm unhappy with the guys (they shall remain nameless here in the open forum, but if someone from NJ wants to know PM me) that rebuilt my trans and I'm going to remidy some of its short comings. They won't tell whose converter they are using, trans was recently trying to lockup the converter clutch while going in reverse. Slipped OD bad. The list goes on. They will never touch another one of my vechiles ever again.

Just a little advise, spend your money once instead of twice like I'm doing.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JD730
Lets just say I'm unhappy with the guys (they shall remain nameless here in the open forum, but if someone from NJ wants to know PM me) that rebuilt my trans and I'm going to remidy some of its short comings. They won't tell whose converter they are using, trans was recently trying to lockup the converter clutch while going in reverse. Slipped OD bad. The list goes on. They will never touch another one of my vechiles ever again.
I'll give our NJ friends a little tip - it's the shop that doesn't know how to spell "works."
Old 04-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I'll give our NJ friends a little tip - it's the shop that doesn't know how to spell "works."
Actually its a trans shop is in sussex county and I would not rate them a "10".

Quick Reply: 93 518 auto to 94 47RH swap