1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

'92 transmission --- what r these plug ends for on wire harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 transmission --- what r these plug ends for on wire harness

anyone know if there's a place to get the wire plug ends that go to the harness that plug into the tranny. seems i had a fuel leak and it corroded thru the wires on 1 plug and stiffened the others 2 to the point they will break soon enough. (or do i need the whole harness???)

i unhooked the plugs from the transmission and dragged 'em up the engine compartment and saw this.

so....looking for these ends w/ some tails on it and then g back a few inches to the good bit of wire and solder them in place.

had lost overdrive and hope this has something to do with it.

BTW : anyone know what these plugs control on the tranny (1 goes on a try. line, other 2 seem to go directly to the trans. body.)

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails '92 transmission  --- what r these plug ends for on wire harness-cimg0308.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK big round 1 is for netural safty switch the 1 with the broken wire is over drive and the other connection is for speedo . Hope this Help's
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mt250
anyone know if there's a place to get the wire plug ends that go to the harness that plug into the tranny. seems i had a fuel leak and it corroded thru the wires on 1 plug and stiffened the others 2 to the point they will break soon enough. (or do i need the whole harness???)

i unhooked the plugs from the transmission and dragged 'em up the engine compartment and saw this.

so....looking for these ends w/ some tails on it and then g back a few inches to the good bit of wire and solder them in place.

had lost overdrive and hope this has something to do with it.

BTW : anyone know what these plugs control on the tranny (1 goes on a try. line, other 2 seem to go directly to the trans. body.)

thanks in advance
Can't really make it out, but the one with the broken wire, is it 2 pin or 3 pin connector.?

If 3 pin, check this out......... http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00053389d.htm

If it is a 2 wire, check out part # 79M2 almost at the bottom of this page.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

On edit, looking at your pictures again, it is a 2 wire, use the lower link to get one, they didn't used to be available.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 PM

thanks for the info.
s are "
it is a 2 pin that is broken, but both "square" plugs seem to be 2 wire/2 pin. the one that broke goes to some kind of sensor that screws into a transmission line and the other one snaps onto the top of the transmission (doesn't go to the speedo unit).

and the round one is 3 pin. would like to replace them all so thanks for the leads and any other thoughts would be appreciated.

a guy @ autozone identified the broke plug from a pontiac coolant sensor and it matched perfectly ((duralast 254 pigtail cable)

hunt continues for the others

thanks again
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Round one is neutral safety switch, one on the trans line is temp sensor for overdrive lockout.. trans shop should have them I got mine from transtar.