1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

'89 Ramcharger 12V 5-speed 4x4 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
REALLY looking forward to seeing the RC and you guys at Carlisle this year. Dunno how you do it man. You have 2 truck projects going at once and making progress left and right. I have one truck project that has been creeping for 3 years...ugh. Glad to see it coming together.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Thanks guys!
I will see if I can get a video or at least some pictures, that T-man could post of it... THANKS T-MAN!
Tonight I got the rearview mirror attached to the windshield, and fluid filmed through all the trim holes from the inside with a rattle can. I also installed new wiper blades and the wiper arms.
I then worked on the stereo install for a bit. I have to get a good ground dailed in for it next.
I also pulled and cleaned up all the parts needed to rebuild the multi function switch on the steering column.
It is registered and insured now...it is finally coming together!
gyman98 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
REALLY looking forward to seeing the RC and you guys at Carlisle this year. Dunno how you do it man. You have 2 truck projects going at once and making progress left and right. I have one truck project that has been creeping for 3 years...ugh. Glad to see it coming together.
This RC project has been 3+ years in the making. Don't give up, just keep forging ahead. I have no life other than Dodge trucks and my daughter really. I look forward to seeing you in Carlisle as well.
gyman98 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Yeah!

Sheep flavored Ramcharger!!

Woo hoo!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
This RC project has been 3+ years in the making. Don't give up, just keep forging ahead. I have no life other than Dodge trucks and my daughter really. I look forward to seeing you in Carlisle as well.
Nothing wrong at all with that life, Oliver. Good times!
mknittle (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:53 AM

Last night after dinner, I got a used aftermarket CD player I had on then shelf installed.
I then changed out the head light switch for a nicer OEM one I had and fixed the missing cover on the map light.

I also looked at some nice grey bucket seats and the console out of a '92 W-250 I have and thought about installing them instead of the sun beaten and torn blue seats in the RC. The ones that are in there already don't recline and the console is missing.
I wish I could find some really nice blue bucket seats for a 1st gen. I just don't come across blue interior rigs often though.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (05-25-2017), NJTman (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 02:59 PM

I just booked my show field spot in Carlisle for the Gauntlet...That should put a little fire under my butt to get it up and running well, as it is a 1000+ mile round trip. The dogs and I are off to the shop to finish re-installing the dash and see if I can professionalize the under hood diesel wiring which is just laying in place.
NJTman (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
How nice do you want for those buckets? I have a blue set out of a 90 ramcharger- quite nice but not perfect. Want pics?
The following 2 users liked this post by jerseybud:
mknittle (05-26-2017), oliver foster (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:46 AM

Last night after dinner, I got a used aftermarket CD player I had on then shelf installed.
I then changed out the head light switch for a nicer OEM one I had and fixed the missing cover on the map light.

I also looked at some nice grey bucket seats and the console out of a '92 W-250 I have and thought about installing them instead of the sun beaten and torn blue seats in the RC. The ones that are in there already don't recline and the console is missing.
I wish I could find some really nice blue bucket seats for a 1st gen. I just don't come across blue interior rigs often though.
I just ordered a new seat from these guys:

National Premium MD Series

It's for my Fuso. I need an air seat in there since I upgraded my suspension to super heavy duty springs. They actually are an intermediary for the seat manufacturers (they sell, but don't manufacture), but I'm sure there is someone out there that can make you whatever you want if you want to pay for it.
Attached Thumbnails '89 Ramcharger 12V 5-speed 4x4 build-premium_md_series_b__13851.1379101623.380.500.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM

I just booked my show field spot in Carlisle for the Gauntlet...That should put a little fire under my butt to get it up and running well, as it is a 1000+ mile round trip. The dogs and I are off to the shop to finish re-installing the dash and see if I can professionalize the under hood diesel wiring which is just laying in place.
Can't wait to see my new truck you're bringing to me. The wife is so excited....
Old 05-26-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jerseybud
How nice do you want for those buckets? I have a blue set out of a 90 ramcharger- quite nice but not perfect. Want pics?
I would be interested in seeing some pictures of those if you can.
PM me if you need my E-mail address.
Thanks jerseybud!
mknittle (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
"I just ordered a new seat from these guys:"
Is the seat an air suspension seat? I don't know anything about truck seats. A matched pair could get a bit spendy! A suspension seat would be good for the failing back.

Don't know how you do it Oliver, I have trouble just keeping up on repairs and maintenance, and I'm failing at that!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
"I just ordered a new seat from these guys:"
Is the seat an air suspension seat? I don't know anything about truck seats. A matched pair could get a bit spendy! A suspension seat would be good for the failing back.

t!
Yup. Its an air filled suspension seat. I'm putting it in my Fuso box truck, because of my lower back issues. Since ill have the seat in hand, I'm going to see if the suspension unit, which is a separately purchased part from the seat itself, in theory will fit in our trucks with some fabrication. If so, ill be ordering another suspension only kit, and fitting it in the brick, if I get the ride I'm searching for.

I had my Fuso suspension beefed up, and since then, it handles so much better, but rides super rough over poor roads.
The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
bigredbrick (05-27-2017), edwinsmith (05-27-2017), mknittle (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 07:51 AM

I was out in the shop till midnight last night. By the time I figured out why the interior cabin lights where staying on from a faulty headlight switch, I had a bunch of dash re-assembly to do. The dash is now fully functional. The low fuel light, 4x4 light, idiot lights and all the gauges are spot on.
I decided to unbolt and disable the grid heater relays as it will not see cold weather starts. If I decide I want them I have them saved and they are easy to re-install. I never hooked up the grids on my white crew cab and I have not missed them in the 6 years since I did that swap. The once or twice I needed to fire it up in the dead of winter to plow around it I just hooked a battery pack up the the grid heater for 20 seconds.

I have some new 2 1/2 inch spring clamps on the way from Amazon, but in the mean time I added a clamp or two to my custom spring packs. Then I worked on some under hood wiring and getting the A/C lines bolted down.
I decided that the grey '92 bucket seats are a close enough color for me and a huge improvement in comfort. I cleaned up the center console with some Simple Green and the garden hose and installed the nice drivers seat. I located the original blue front seat belts and bolts in the multiple boxes of parts that came with the half baked project and bolted them down as well.

I plan to take it out this afternoon with my daughter for a good drive.

Oh, I also installed a nice OEM Ram's head I had in my collection as the one on the RC was gone by the time I drove out to AZ to pick up it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
jrmcleod78 (05-28-2017), NJTman (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
I was out in the shop till midnight last night. By the time I figured out why the interior cabin lights where staying on from a faulty headlight switch, I had a bunch of dash re-assembly to do. The dash is now fully functional. The low fuel light, 4x4 light, idiot lights and all the gauges are spot on.
I decided to unbolt and disable the grid heater relays as it will not see cold weather starts. If I decide I want them I have them saved and they are easy to re-install. I never hooked up the grids on my white crew cab and I have not missed them in the 6 years since I did that swap. The once or twice I needed to fire it up in the dead of winter to plow around it I just hooked a battery pack up the the grid heater for 20 seconds.

I have some new 2 1/2 inch spring clamps on the way from Amazon, but in the mean time I added a clamp or two to my custom spring packs. Then I worked on some under hood wiring and getting the A/C lines bolted down.
I decided that the grey '92 bucket seats are a close enough color for me and a huge improvement in comfort. I cleaned up the center console with some Simple Green and the garden hose and installed the nice drivers seat. I located the original blue front seat belts and bolts in the multiple boxes of parts that came with the half baked project and bolted them down as well.

I plan to take it out this afternoon with my daughter for a good drive.

Oh, I also installed a nice OEM Ram's head I had in my collection as the one on the RC was gone by the time I drove out to AZ to pick it up.
In some areas those goats are a vanishing breed.
looks like you are winning the battle.

Quick Reply: '89 Ramcharger 12V 5-speed 4x4 build