1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

85 CREW cab build up

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 CREW cab build up

I am building a 85 Crew cab with my 91 non-ic as the Donor Truck.
I have converted the 85 from 2 wheel drive to 4.
The motor and 47RH with 205 are bolted in with advice I have recieved here.
Now I am looking for more advice.

I would like to intercool it and I was give a 96 intercooler. Does this combo work will together or should I go another direction. If i intercool it should I upgrade the RAD?

I would like to install power windows and door locks in the rear. I was hoping a that a set of motors and regulators from the front doors would just slide in the rear. Will it?

It is easy to get advice then spend money on thing that just won't work.
Thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is the 47rh out of the 91?? if not ,is it 3 speed or 4spd 3spd is 727 4spd is 518. what rad do you have? is it a cross flow or vertical flow?? cross flow will cool much better then the 89-90 years not sure if 91 went to the crossflow . the 96 intercooler will work just getting it in is the trick...(doable) and sorry i cant help on the windows good luck
R
Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We covered the 47RH in a previous thread. How did that work out?

The easiest thing would be to find the front parts from an intercooled truck, but you might not be able to find them and it could be cost prohibitive.
The 96 intercooler should be bigger than the 1st gen intercoolers. It would be a tight fit, but doable like rebal says.

Upgrading the radiator, what kind of shape is the one you have now in? Can you find a good cross flow for cheap, new they are expensive. Cross flow radiators mount differently, instead of bolting to the front like the vertical flow ones do they have 4 rubber buttons, 2 on the bottom, 2 on the top that is rests on. Top 2 are held by 2 brackets the bolt on the top of the front support. Could require some creative fabrication with your current front and the big intercooler. But still doable.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
This guy is doing a resto on a crew cab with power windows in the rear doors.
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/...?topic=29363.0

and here
http://www.heavyhauler.ramchargercentral.net/index.html
Old 11-29-2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by JD730
We covered the 47RH in a previous thread. How did that work out?

The easiest thing would be to find the front parts from an intercooled truck, but you might not be able to find them and it could be cost prohibitive.
The 96 intercooler should be bigger than the 1st gen intercoolers. It would be a tight fit, but doable like rebal says.

Upgrading the radiator, what kind of shape is the one you have now in? Can you find a good cross flow for cheap, new they are expensive. Cross flow radiators mount differently, instead of bolting to the front like the vertical flow ones do they have 4 rubber buttons, 2 on the bottom, 2 on the top that is rests on. Top 2 are held by 2 brackets the bolt on the top of the front support. Could require some creative fabrication with your current front and the big intercooler. But still doable.
Waiting for a a starter, had to modify the trans mount but after that it is was smooth sailing. The Rad was rodded about a year before the tear down and double checked after the tear down. The problem though in the Vegas heat it liked to over heat. It was fine until I was in traffic or pulling a hill when temperature were above 85ish. I put a pusher fan on but it just slowed the over heating.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With your current radiator your still going to have a problem with traffic, because no airflow, stop and go driving the torque converter will put out hot oil which in turn will heat the coolant in the heat exchanger.
Now when you start pulling hills with the converter locked the temps should not change as much as before because the converter is not dumping as much heat into your cooling system.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:56 PM

Would you recommend then upgrading to the cross flow. I have toyed with using an Aluminum rad. And even going to electric fans.

Has any one done this?