1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

6 speed first generation (now with photos)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed first generation (now with photos)

I am putting a 2000 dodge 6 speed in my first gen. truck. I will need a new engine adapter, I believe a new starter, a new slipyoke and drive line shortened. The cross member will have to be custom built. The clutch master and slave assembly should bolt up off the 2000. All these modifications I can do with no problem.
My biggest problem will be driving my speedo. From 1999 on the dodge cummins has driven their speedos off of the differential. the nv 5600 has no speedo drive at all.
I am trying to find out what the "pulses per mile" are to run my speedo. the factory speedo has no adjustment or switches to change the pulses needed. If I can find this number out "pulses per mile" then I can find out if I can use any of the late model electronics to run my speedo.
A friend has a 2002 3/4 ton 4wd. His differential has the same hole on the top as my 92 for the ABS sensor. I think that Dodge is using the same sensor for ABS to run the speedo.
If any of this info is incorrect please let me know. I am trying to get all my parts together and ducks in a row before I due the swap.
It appears my shifter hole will have to move about 3 1/2" back.
I would like to use my factory speedo if at all possible.
I need my odometer due to I run a mobile truck repair and need to keep track of milage for billing.
This will be me When I get the 6 speed in my first gen. ;D ;D
Old 06-09-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Re:6 speed first generation

Here is some useless info: I don't know how many pulses per mile the excitor ring in the differential generates, or how many pulses per mile the speedo is looking for. However, with some effort, you can hook up a multi-meter with a frequency read-out on it to both sensors, and calculate the ratio between the two. Once you had this number, you could build an electronic divider that would tap into the signal coming from the stock ABS sensor and convert it to the signal you need for the speedo. It should be pretty easy to do with parts from Radio Shack and one of the little how-to booklets that they used to sell (I can't remember the title, my apologies).<br><br>Good luck, it sounds as though you have everything planned out well.<br><br><br>Alec
Old 06-10-2003, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the input. <br>I have a fluke 88 multimeter. when I get a chance Im going to attempt to tap in and get a reading on the speedo signal. <br>When it comes down to splitting signals or that other technical stuff I will need to do some reading.<br>Thanks again
Old 07-05-2003, 02:13 AM

July 1rst the job was started and finished. I took some photos which i hope to put on this site later. It is necessary to change the engine adapter for 93 and older for a nv4500 or nv5600 trans swap. the starter is also different. there is one starter mount bolt in the wrong location from the 93 and older compared to the 94 and up. the 94 up starter will go into the first gen chassis but is very close to the frame. the battery cable will reach to the new starter. The shifter hole in the floor was moved back about 4 inches. this leaves a hole to fill. My truck has a 2 piece drive shaft. the rear piece was used but the front section was shortened about 6 1/2 inches. the original crossmember was used. It was moved back 5 1/2 inches. I used the rear bolt holes in the frame and put them in the front bolt holes of the cross member. this kept me from drilling too many holes in the frame. there was smoe cutting and welding of the crossmember to make the rear trans mount work. I am currently running my speedo off of my ABS sensor. I found a company in Arkansas that sells an &quot;electronic ratio adapter&quot; which allows you to run the speedo off of the ABS sensor. the clutch Hydrualics was another problem. I had to buy the 94 up set up which comes complete with master slave,hose and resevoir. I had to use my original master and resivoir and use the hose and slave from the 94 up unit. I will try to post pictures later.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job Frostie.....how is it working out for you?..enjoying it?....looking forward to the pics...
Old 07-05-2003, 11:31 AM

Lovin it, still getting use to it, 5th gear is direct when the 5 spds 4th is direct. doesnt make all those horrable noises as my Getrag did . Still need to extend my reverse light wire, but Im on the road and running it ;D
Old 07-25-2003, 09:22 PM

The engine adapter on the right is 1994-2002. according to Dodge, 1994-2002 all use the same adapter. The new unit is thicker than the pre 94 adapter, but can be used with an nv4500 or nv5600.
The clutch is from South Bend and was for the pre 94 truck. the spline is the same on the Getrag and the early nv5600 with a 1.250 shaft.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:37 PM

More photos to come, Im computor challenged
Old 07-25-2003, 09:53 PM

On the right is the 94-02 adapter with 94-02 starter, on the left is pre 94. Notice the clocking of the starter. When in the chassis, the new starter is very close to the frame. The starter cable seem to reach just fine to the new starter.
Both starters have 2 mounting holes the same (top and bottom) the side hole is in a different location.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:00 PM

This shows the bolt pattern difference. You have to look close.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:03 PM

The new front section of driveline is about 7&quot; shorter from the Getrag to the nv5600. The nv5600 has a slip yoke on the 2wd trucks.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:07 PM

I used the factory Getrag crossmember.
Where the crossmember bolts to the frame,there is aproximately 5 1/2 inches between the holes. I used the rear frame bolt holes and the front crossmember holes to move the crossmember back, the remaining holes I drilled.
There was a section of the crossmember cut and modified and a Peterbilt cab mount was used for a rear trans mount.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:17 PM

Monster transmission. I jacked it up into the floor and marked the tight areas. Then pulled it out and massaged the floor pan to better fit that monster, It didnt take much. You can see some of the spots that were pushed in.
This is also the custom trans mount I built.
You can also see my 4 inch exhaust on the right ;D
Old 07-25-2003, 10:25 PM

Another trans mount shot.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:28 PM

On the left is the new clutch hydraulics. they only come as a complete assembly. I ended up using my master cylinder and resevior from my original 92. used the hose down from the 6 speed unit. the hose end did not fit quite right to the master cylinder but I persuaded it together. ;D

Quick Reply: 6 speed first generation (now with photos)