1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

5.9 into 76 chevy crewcab

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Location: kandahar afghanistan for awhile, normally Tri-Cities Wa.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.9 into 76 chevy crewcab

Anybody out there familiar with 5.9's installed into earliar chevy's. I have a real nice 76 crewcab 4x4 and the thought has crossed my mind. How are the fire wall, overall length and and front axle clearance issues. Thanks all
Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM

I just bought my truck two weeks ago. It looks like the conversion was done well, and it has about 60k miles on it since converted. One previous owner towed a 12-13k pound gooseneck with it, so hopefully any weak points would have surfaced by now.

I was told that they used the engine crossmember from the Dodge, welded in place of the stock GM crossmember. This allowed using the Dodge engine mounts. They also used the Dodge radiator and A/C condenser.

The engine fits in this truck with no body lift, and has no firewall or hood clearance issues that I know of. It has the stock Dodge fan shroud and engine-driven fan. I was told that the frame had to be notched for either the A/C compressor or the PS pump.

Sorry that I don't know all the details. I should be getting the truck on my lift in the next few weeks to fix some things (like parking brake cables), so I'll get some pics of how everything is put in there.

Also check out this thread on ColoradoK5.com about swapping Cummins into Chevy. I'm not sure how relevant it is to the way the swap was done in my truck.
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121702

Later!
Richard
Old 11-02-2005, 09:46 AM

Location: kandahar afghanistan for awhile, normally Tri-Cities Wa.
Originally Posted by thecarman
I just bought my truck two weeks ago. It looks like the conversion was done well, and it has about 60k miles on it since converted. One previous owner towed a 12-13k pound gooseneck with it, so hopefully any weak points would have surfaced by now.

I was told that they used the engine crossmember from the Dodge, welded in place of the stock GM crossmember. This allowed using the Dodge engine mounts. They also used the Dodge radiator and A/C condenser.

The engine fits in this truck with no body lift, and has no firewall or hood clearance issues that I know of. It has the stock Dodge fan shroud and engine-driven fan. I was told that the frame had to be notched for either the A/C compressor or the PS pump.

Sorry that I don't know all the details. I should be getting the truck on my lift in the next few weeks to fix some things (like parking brake cables), so I'll get some pics of how everything is put in there.

Also check out this thread on ColoradoK5.com about swapping Cummins into Chevy. I'm not sure how relevant it is to the way the swap was done in my truck.
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121702

Later!
Richard
thanks Richard,

if you get a chance to send some pics I would really appreciate it. I'm pondering which route to take. Buy a dodge and convert to crewcab or convert a crewcab truck I allready have to cummins. Such decisions to make

thanks
grant

grant.rush@us.army.mil
Old 11-02-2005, 09:59 AM

thecarman, Pics! I have been considering such a project...