1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

4X4 indicator light issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:44 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
4X4 indicator light issues

Driving along the other day my 4X4 dash light came on even though I was in 2HI. Pulled over and shifted into neutral and back into 2HI just to make sure I wasn't in 4HI.

Now driving along it flickers on and off or just stays on. Looking under everything looks clean and dry and as it should be but hard to see around the 4" exhaust and front driveshaft. The linkage "feels" tight and this truck is not abused or often in 4X4 so it shouldn't be wore out.

Reading through some searches I've found where the switch can fail but then the light won't come on. And this isn't the switch as I can wiggle the shifter and make it go off. Or hold it forward or to the right and make it go off.

I've shifted into 4LO and back but to 2HI but it still stays on. I've not seen anything on adjusting the linkage or whatever. Anybody ever have this issue? Seems odd that it did it out of the blue and especially since 4X is only used occasionally and not hard core (snow, muddy farm roads, boat ramps, etc several times a year).

Thanks,
Old 06-25-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
When I tested the harness I used in my truck I used a jumper wire to check the wiring before routing the wires so the switch is normally open. Either the switch is bad or there is a short in the two wires that run that light.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
From the light, a dark green with gray stripe wire goes to the black connector at the back of the engine. From there, a light green with brown stripe wire goes to the transfer case switch. Somewhere along there it is finding ground. The switch may be defective completing the circuit, or it may also be finding ground through a defective RWAL module. To test the switch, unplug it. If the light stays off then the switch is bad. To test the RWAL, unplug it. If the light stays off, the module is bad. If the light still stays on, then check the length of the wiring to see where it is grounding out.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
From the light, a dark green with gray stripe wire goes to the black connector at the back of the engine. From there, a light green with brown stripe wire goes to the transfer case switch. Somewhere along there it is finding ground. The switch may be defective completing the circuit, or it may also be finding ground through a defective RWAL module. To test the switch, unplug it. If the light stays off then the switch is bad. To test the RWAL, unplug it. If the light stays off, the module is bad. If the light still stays on, then check the length of the wiring to see where it is grounding out.
Hi Cougar,my light is iffy whether it comes on or not. Is the switch internal or external of the TC?...Mark
Old 06-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
The switch is mounted on the outside of the transfer case, but it has a spring and pin that rides on the detent ball on the shift rail. if wiggling the shifter makes it go off, thus changing the position of the shift rail, then I would suspect that the issue is internal.....maybe the spring has cracked or something else?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 AM
KRB

Not had time to mess with it yet but hauling hay yesterday I noticed that when I fiddled with the shifter to make the light go out it would also cause a lot of static in the radio. When the light was on the radio was fine. Makes me think there is a grounding issue maybe?
Old 06-30-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Hi Cougar,my light is iffy whether it comes on or not. Is the switch internal or external of the TC?...Mark
Like thrashingcows said, it's on the side.

Originally Posted by KRB
Not had time to mess with it yet but hauling hay yesterday I noticed that when I fiddled with the shifter to make the light go out it would also cause a lot of static in the radio. When the light was on the radio was fine. Makes me think there is a grounding issue maybe?
If the light is flickering when you fiddle with the shifter, it is probably the switch unless the wiring harness wound up against the shifter and/or linkage.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (06-30-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 04:31 AM
KRB

It's pretty much on all the time now. Guess I'll try replacing it once I inspect the wires. Or just unplug it, I think I know when I'm in four wheel drive or not...
Old 07-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Ya, been driving theses Dodge truck things sense 81 and the shift pattern hasn't changed. I think I know where it is now.