1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

4000 km trip next week end

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4000 km trip next week end

I think I will share this with the 1st gen people since my 93 will do the work.
I'm moving back east with the girl by the Trans Canada Highway the 1st w-e of september. That will be a 4000km trip.

I will be hauling a Jetta TDI filled with stuff on my 16' car hauler, and the bed of the truck full of tools, furnitures, Molson Pilsner, ect..

It is a good time in the year to do a long trip I think, and in the 10 000km since I own the truck, I got all the basics done:
Fuel filter, Mobil 1 in the getrag, amsoil synthetic in the TC and diffs, New Michelin LTX A/S tires, Front rotor turned, Wheel bearing packed with penzoil red, rebuilt driveshaft, Redhead Steering Box, Moog Drag Link, Nylon bushing / springs in King Pins, brake lines flushed, Bypassed RWAL, External voltage regulator, Amsoil Eaau air filter.

The truck rides good and sounds healty except a shake around 70 km/h. The coolant looks pretty clean and I think the radiator has been rebuilt a couple years ago. It does not overheat empty on hot days and I hear the fan clutch kick in when it needs to. That part should be good. I don't know if the KDP has been fixed by a PO.
The alternator looks recent. I have a boost gauge. EGT gauge will be there before I leave.
Tomorow I get the Parabolic front springs from customsuspension installed.

Something I am missing?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Load it and go sound's like you are set
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get up and go, i put on 2200km Aug long pulling a 10k camper and everything went well. I am sure your trip will be fine.

I am in lloyd if you have any problems in this area.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do You have gauges for EGT, water temp? That would be a great addition for a long trip.
Have a great trip.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM

It looks like you've done everything possible but in case you didnt, check the axle vent on the rear axle. Mine was clogged and I didn't find it out until I was 400 miles into a 1800 mile trip. I guess the diff never fully warmed up driving locally and out on the open road it got up to temp and pushed oil out. I've cleaned it a few times but this one time I forgot. That won't leave you stranded but its not fun cleaning the gear oil off the trailer or replacing brake shoes. Other than that, your truck seems like its good to go.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Exekiel69
Do You have gauges for EGT, water temp? That would be a great addition for a long trip.
Have a great trip.
water temp is the stock one. I am thinking to put a cheap one temporary in the thermostat housing plug just to make sure.
I am also thinking to put one of those water temp gauge in the getrag fill plug. Overkill since I'm not towing a huge load?
EGT There is an isspro EGT gauge wired in the truck, I need to buy the probe and tap the manifold.

D22019, I think the vent is good. I blew with my mouth in it last week and it seemed like I was building air pressure in the hole axle and not only in the hose.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Dont worry about the getrag temp, overkill with the weight your pulling.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BILTIT
Dont worry about the getrag temp, overkill with the weight your pulling.
I respectfully disagree with that. A bad seal will leak oil too fast for one to notice and when You do the bearings are out, this actually happened to some one I know. A gauge will tell You sooner specially if You put the sensor rather low in the trans case.

My .2c
Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Very true but that could happen pulling or not. I check under the truck every stop i make to look for leaks anywhere.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 PM

Might not be a bad idea to check the turbo for play and loosen the fan belt to check bearings for exessive wear. I know it sounds overkill but its kept me off the shoulder more than once.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 AM

I always have an extra belt with me and hoses and some oil. Sounds like you might have that anyway since you are moving everything. Oh and some licorice its a good road trip snack.

Happy traveling to you.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 PM

Thanks for all the tips!
Good Idea to loosen the fan Belt and check for all the bearings.
I installed a temporary aux water temp gauge. I'll get another one in the fill plug of the getrag. 17$ worth the peace of mind.

I have everything with me, so a lot of tools and stuff for some roadside mechanic.. Even a spare car on the trailer to go hunting for parts!

I put some airbags in the rear yesterday, cause the front was now sitting higher with the parabolic spring. It will help to level the truck with the load.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Cash and lots of it in case something happens. Make sure the trailer is good, that would worry me more than my truck. Have s safe trip.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM

I got almost a flawless trip! Blew a chinese tire on the trailer that's it! Thanks all for the advices!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Pry-p;3127465Molson Pilsner,

Fuel filter, Mobil 1 in the getrag, amsoil synthetic in the TC and diffs, New Michelin LTX A/S tires, Front rotor turned, Wheel bearing packed with penzoil red, rebuilt driveshaft, Redhead Steering Box, Moog Drag Link, Nylon bushing / springs in King Pins, brake lines flushed, Bypassed RWAL, External voltage regulator, Amsoil Eaau air filter.

The truck rides good and sounds healty except a shake around 70 km/h. The[U
coolant looks pretty clean and I think the radiator has been rebuilt a couple years ago.[/U] It does not overheat empty on hot days and I hear the fan clutch kick in when it needs to. That part should be good. I don't know if the KDP has been fixed by a PO.
The alternator looks recent. I have a boost gauge. EGT gauge will be there before I leave.
Tomorow I get the Parabolic front springs from customsuspension installed.

Something I am missing?
The coolant can't be "looked at" to determine if it's good. Either test strip it to see if the acidity level is acceptable, or just spend a couple bucks on AF and distilled h20 and flush it out. 2 years is max on AF. Make sure you replace it with regular silicate based AF as the long life stuff is not good for our engines from what I read previously.

Make sure your serp belt doesn't have any cracks in it on the ribbed side and if it's older than a few years, just change it. Clean your battery terminals and other grounds. How old is the battery ? 13.8 v at idle is generally considered normal with testing the alternator.

Spare ? fuses, Fluids, Fuel filter (in case of a clog), air compressor, Jack and stands, spare tire ?

Have a safe trip.

BTW....You should take photos of the truck in the landscape and let us see your ride......in action.

Quick Reply: 4000 km trip next week end