1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

4" skyjacker lift and plowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" skyjacker lift and plowing

Just installed a 4" Skyjacker lift kit and am still having problems with the Front End springs. Truck seems to dip to the left a lot. Even on level ground you can see it slightly tilting to the drivers side. Upon their suggestion, I swapped springs and measured the height of those springs. Measured the same, swapped but still sags to the drivers. Then I bought a 1/2" spacer to place under the spring. Well, it does look level but not comfortable with the ride. Brought it to a spring shop TODAY and was going to have block taken out and spring re-arched to make up for the difference. They don't want to do that because they noticed that the rear portion of the front spring (shackle part) seems to be rubbing up against the frame (actual eyelet of spring) which would throw everything off. So they mentioned it is either a too long of a spring or not strong enough to hold the weight. Skyjacker did send me one for Cummins and their only thought was to place a Add-A-Leaf in there. So, what should I do and will this new lift kit be able to hold a Blizzard 810 Power Plow, about 1000 pounds I bet on the front end since it doesn't even look to hold my motor yet?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I would think that no matter what, the spring would have to be short enough to allow the axle to travel up until it hit the stop on the frame without binding up the rear shackle

So, if the rear eye is sitting on the frame under a static condition, it seems to me that it isn't the right spring. If that is how skyjacker designed the spring, then I don't think you will do well with the plowing . . . binding shackles is a good way to break something.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I agree with you. I called them yesterday and they mentioned that they use the same spring is for Gas and Diesel trucks. Same length and weight. They do admit that some 1st gens are heavier on the left. talked to spring shop yesterday and have made another appointment to have this corrected the proper way. Instead of going through Skyjacker due to not being able to have the truck down for such a period. their policy I believe is buy a new spring, send old one back, if it tests bad they will replace for free and reimburse you. If not bad, oh well.

Thanks.