1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3600 RPM VE powered standby pump engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3600 RPM VE powered standby pump engine

I just started a new job this past week now that I'm all done with Diesel/Diesel Electric school. I am working for a smaller standby Generator business as a Generator Technician. We service, repair, and install all kinds of standby Generators and switch gear for Businesses, Hospitals, banks, office buildings, grocery stores, substations, homes, and anything else that comes along.

We also service the engines for backup fire systems in bigger buildings. (they have back ups to back ups) Most systems have a big electric pump that kicks on to maintain system pressure in case of a fire and the sprinkler system comes on. In the case of a fire they figure they'll lose power as well so the backup generator will run some lights, another large electric pump and move all the elevators to the main floor and leave one movable elevator for fire fighters etc. Some buildings have an additional backup with just a stationary pump engine (engine running a large water pump) that will have an override on safety engine shut downs. So in the case of low oil pressure or high engine temp the engine will keep running without shutting down or until the engine blows up since they'd rather have that much more time out of the cheaper pump engine rather than lose the building.

So this last week I ran into a newer 6 cylinder Detroit Diesel (not sure if its another brand of engine with Detroit's name on it or not but it had Detroit Tags) Pump engine on a backup fire system. It definately seemed like a "screamin detroit" even though its a newer 4 stroke engine as it ran 3300-3600 rpm. After looking closer at it to my amazement it had a VE pump on it! After looking at the tags it had a rating of 163 hp at 3300 rpm and 165 hp at 3600 rpm. I wrote the serial and model number down of the engine but it really got me thinking after seeing that engine running that high of rpm with a VE pump. The pump looked like it would bolt right up to my truck I'm sure the pump has a different governor spring and different governor setup for it to run that kind of rpm for its application. But I got thinkin if that pump can make that much power at that rpm then what are they doing different? I'm thinking about trying to buy a pump for that engine and putting it on my truck or another engine and see what it does. Or tearing into a pump for that application to see whats different. I should be going back there sometime soon and will try to get some pictures. But I was just amazed to see a VE pump on a high rpm rated engine. It just started to make me think some more

Just thought I would share this with all of us VE guys to see if you are thinking the same thing I am.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
That power at that RPM is part of the engine design, and camshaft grind as well. Don't think the pump would make that much difference to our motors. But maybe it does have a some special design internals that could transfer over?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh I want one of those ...for sure get the numbers if we can cross reference them to get the right parts I see a lot more in the hp game
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did it look something like this?

Detroit bought the DT466 off Navistar and called it the 40 series. The 60 series came in 11.2, 12.7, and 14 liter variations.

I don't think the4 2-strokes used an external injection pump, it's likely a 40 series/DT466. They were governed to about 25-2700 RPM, but will survive regular trips well past that.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Our VE makes its 160hp anywhere between 2000 and 2500RPM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No this is a newer and smaller straight six. Bout the size of our 5.9s or maybe even a bit smaller. I think its s different brand engine with Detroit's name on it. I'm sure the engine is designed for higher rated rpm. But its also gotta have the fueling capability to make that kind of power at that rated rpm. So that pump is designed to run that high of rpm with that output of horsepower. Hopefully I go back to it soon and will get some pictures. It just really got me thinking.