1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3200 Spring Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3200 Spring Jitters

Okay I got to see if I am the only one who gets extremely nervous doing anything with the potential for a run away. I did the spring and found myself with that feeling of all my adenaline running through my veins. Nervous as heck I walked around my truck going over everything I had just done. I finally started it with a board part covering the intake and...... WHOOO I did it right.

So does anyone else get that kind of feeling, you know like your dealing with a 1500 dollar lower end that could pontentially come out the bottom. Sorry had to share.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:07 PM

i held off the spring for a long time, i was more worried about damaging the pump itself. you're not the only one. takes me a while to work up the courage to do these things, but after i'm done the people who said "it's not that bad" have always been right!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:08 PM

IT WAS THE SAME FOR ME. SCARY BUT NO PROBLEMS.
HOWS IT FEEL?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Chapter President

When I did it I had every picture and post off of this website to help me along. After finishing it I was left wondering what I was so nervous about. Lots of good info on this site and it helps a lot

Last edited by 89dieselkong; 11-19-2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 11-19-2006, 07:42 PM

I only got nervous when Greg handed me a board and said " here if the engine takes off put this over the intake to kill it so it doesnt blow up!" I was kind of like ummmmm but all in all, I think that was the best thing we did to that truck so far, I love that 3200 GSK everytime Im pullin the trailer, or when a ricer thinks hes cool.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=Cowboy_Customs;1216006]I only got nervous when Greg handed me a board and said " here if the engine takes off put this over the intake to kill it so it doesnt blow up!" I was kind of like ummmmm QUOTE]

safety first

g
Old 11-19-2006, 08:20 PM

Cool, so I'm not the only one. And your right it wasn't that bad, just the endding that was the most scary. But fired right up and ran great.

Now I think we should make a thread that reads "3200 spring testimonials" because this thing is awesome. Best money I have spent so far. It did take my EGTs from ok to man this thing is gettin hot quick. I need more air now, or maybe I just need some traction on this slippery slope.

I think one thing I did to help prevent the run away was marking the throttle lever to shaft with a marking paint. This way when you put it back on the paint would line up. If you were off either way it was really easy to see. Just a thought.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM

this old man did it before it ever showed up on these boards. didnt know these engines would run away. didnt know enough to be scared. it is absolutely the best mod one can do to a 1st gen truck.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:08 PM

Question

I'm going to do my 3200 spring next week and after reading numerous threads about it, I keep reading about a run away condition. I have a relative idea of what the runaway condition is but what exactly happens? I'm thinking the truck revs to the moon and you can't stop it. But couldn't a guy just pull on the fuel shutdown lever or is putting a thick board against the intake pipe the only way to kill it? BTW how does a guy cure the problem? Do I back off the fuel screw a bit? Mine is turned in roughly 2.5 turns with the lock collar gone if it helps any.

Thanks guys
Old 11-20-2006, 06:42 PM

You guys are giving me the jitters. LOL I plan on doing mine this weekend too since my pump is leaking out the overflow, I have to open it up anyway.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you put the fuel screw back approximately where you found it, there is no reason the pump would run away. Even if you were off a tooth on the throttle lever the truck would just idle at 2000 RPM or so. Really nothing to worry about here, folks.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 PM

there is one important thing to remember though! when you are all done getting it dialed back in to correct idle, make sure the lock nut on the idle screw is nice and tight. otherwise when you take a when you take a 1000 mile trip pulling a friends audi and you take your foot off the throttle you may find that you are not slowing down, and when you put your foot on the clutch the rpm might jump to 3500 until you shut it off and after you coast off the road and try very hard not to act surprised in front of your pregnant worrying wife, brother, and sister in law only to find out that the low idle screw walked itself out and was holding the pump at full throttle then and only then will you inderstand why i give this warning
Old 11-21-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
there is one important thing to remember though! when you are all done getting it dialed back in to correct idle, make sure the lock nut on the idle screw is nice and tight. otherwise when you take a when you take a 1000 mile trip pulling a friends audi and you take your foot off the throttle you may find that you are not slowing down, and when you put your foot on the clutch the rpm might jump to 3500 until you shut it off and after you coast off the road and try very hard not to act surprised in front of your pregnant worrying wife, brother, and sister in law only to find out that the low idle screw walked itself out and was holding the pump at full throttle then and only then will you inderstand why i give this warning
hypothetically speaking of course, LOL
crossy
Old 11-25-2006, 05:34 PM

I just finished doing the spring and a world of difference it makes. Easy job and the tech write-up makes it simple, nice job. Now to get the pump to quit leaking.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is an easy job...if you don't drop anything. Make sure to have plenty of light and your fingers on the ends of the spring so you don't lose the little spring and top hat....

Quick Reply: 3200 Spring Jitters