1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3200 Spring Install Gone Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3200 Spring Install Gone Wrong?

My brother and I put a 366 spring in my 90 and now have problems. Other than having a higher idle (about 150 rpm higher) it ran fine for about 7 miles. Then the engine stumbled and recovered and ran fine for about another 2-3 miles. I slowed down to about 20mph for some rough railroad tracks then put my foot in it going up a small hill and it stalled about 100 to 150ft up the hill. I was able to restart it 3 times, each time it stalled, after the 3rd time it died for good.

Had a good amount of air in the lines. All 6 injector lines have been blead at the injector. The engine will not fire at all. My brother and I are lost other then the injector pump might be messed up. I guess the pump top has to come back off, but don't know what to do if we can't see anything wrong. Any ideas and help is appreciated.

Paul
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
alwaysonDTR

is the fuel shutoff solinoid wire hooked up and in good condition?if it falls off they dont run or the solinoid could have went bad.
and was the old gasket for the pump top?
might be sucking air?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 AM

Like Alwaysworking was saying, check the shut off solenoid. I had a similar prob. when I first started messing w/ the pump. I knocked the shut off solenoid wire loose and it would sometimes hit the solenoid and then bounce off. Caused sporadic shut offs and no starts then I finally realized what was going on when I saw a spark Anyways, might be something to look into. Good luck! Oh, the wire is just under the full fuel screw and to the left. Or just above where the injector lines connect to pump.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Take an 8mm wrench and a magnet, remove the little nut that holds the terminal on top of the shut-down solenoid and remove the terminal.

Crimp/solder a ring-terminal to one end of a six-to-eight inch length of 12AWG wire; crimp/solder a MALE spade-terminal to the other.

Mount the ring-terminal on the solenoid stud, where you removed the old terminal.

Clean and squeeze the sides tighter on the existing solenoid wire, and plug it onto the male spade-terminal.

Now, the removable spade connection has been moved away from the vibrations of the engine and will trouble you no more.

You can simply replace the entire spade business with a ring-terminal; BUT, every time you mess with the pump, you will have to fight with that tiny 8mm nut that insists on flying off somewhere in the gravels.

Also, before you blame the pump and your work, make sure that this problem is not just a coincidence.

You could have a plugged filter, a big air-leak in a line somewhere, a key-switch gone bad, any number of things can cause your problem.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Chapter President

Thanks for the replies, guys. The connector on the wire to the shutdown solenoid is the problem. We thought we eliminated that as a possible problem, but I guess not. Just a little wiggle on the connector and the engine fired as normal. Looking inside the connector the contacts (if that is what you call them) are loose and the whole end needs to be replaced.

What I would like to know is where all the air came from? I did drive it for about 20 miles tonight and it ran fine with no problems.

Thanks again, Paul