1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3200 rpm spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy smokes!! In the interest of testing the throttle 'feel' vs performance before doing any mods, I took my truck out onto the open freeway(well, as open as freeways get around central FL anyways), and opened it up for the first time since I bought it in Nov 06. Wow. It blew a fair amount of black smoke with WOT and EASILY pegged the speedo past 85mph @ 2500rpm(by way of the ISSPRO tach), and continued right up(and quickly!) to 2700rpm with what felt like LOTS of pull still available. Up to this point I hadn't exceeded 65mph anywhere(never felt the need to, and yes, I do stay in the right lane!). I got scared(of cops mostly) and backed out, but it never felt like it had begun reach the de-fuel point. I'm assuming the tach is fairly accurate, as it shows 700rpm idle in gear, shows 1650rpm @ 62mph. Truck has 3.54 rear, 215/85/16 tires(30.5in), and although it has some trans issues, I believe it is going into o/d(especially now). Appears completely stock/original to me under the hood, consistently gets 16mpg around town(a/c always on) and hair over 20mpg highway @ 62mph. Go figure. And I always wondered why I wasn't noticing too much 'lag' off idle, like others describe(does have the 21cm), as most times it's too quick for my liking at takeoff, so I have to lift off the pedal some(remember, I admittedly drive slower than most, but at least do try keeping up with traffic). Maybe someone has had a golden screwdriver into it already, eh? Would there be any simple ways to check(meaning not a whole lot of complicated disassembly)? I'm still amazed at the top speed/available power thing...kinda cool, but kinda scary!! ;-)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your help. Your video is great by the way. Thanks for posting that.

Several months ago I looked up the turbo part number and it shows it being a 15 psi wastegate. You can see it at the photo album under the pictures titled "Intercooler Turbo 1" or "EGTProbe".

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tdiwys...?.dir=/ce56scd

You can also see the fuel pump in picture "FuelPump2". It's a much simpler pump than what you guys are running as there's no feedback for the boost. It's just throws fuel and let's the turbo respond.

You can see the approximated torque and hp curves I've measured using an accelerometer. Both runs are with the high idle turned out to ~3100 rpm. The difference between the two is the last one has the max fueling screw turned up about as far as it will go without having the rpm's starting to hang. This weekend I re-did it with the high idle screw out even more but the hp was still flat after ~2600 rpm.

My boost gauge shows the max boost is maintained up to the point I let of the fuel pedal at about ~3000 rpm. Depending upon the fuel I'm using, outside temps, humidity, etc. the max boost I see is ~14 to 14.5 psi. And this occurs in the 2600-3000 rpm range.

Originally Posted by G1625S
Hey TDI, does your turbo have a wastegate? Generally, when a pump starts to defuel, boost falls off...but, if the pump is fueling, say, 10psi over the wastegated setting, as fueling falls off, the boost will stay the same untill it drops below the wastegate actuator's preset.