1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3200 rpm spring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3200 rpm spring?

I just ordered the 3200 spring for my truck and was wondering just what I could expect it to do for me.What difference is it going to make?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 PM

it will allow you to rev the motor higher before it defuels.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It also will make the truck more drivable; it will take a lot less pedal to get it going.

Is your truck an auto or manual?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:40 PM

My truck is auto...thanks for the info
Old 03-08-2007, 09:55 PM

How tough of a job is it to change the spring???????
Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 PM

its just like anything the first time take your time make sure you do everthing right then the next time it will be a breeze
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by maxx250
One thing is to hang onto the top hat and spring because it will fly to areas unknown, don't even ask how I know. I slide the throttle shaft out of the upper housing when i remove the housing and it makes it a lot eaiser to remove and replace.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by maxx250
Also when you do the spring swap, mark where the injection pump timing is, then loosen all 3 nuts (requires a 13mm "s" wrench), and retard the pump timing as much as you can (pull the pump towards the battery in a sense). Also remove the throttle bracketry as this makes accessing the rear bottom bolt much, much easier.

Trust me, I think I hold the DTR "most botched BOMB install" from my 3200rpm spring swap. It isn't that bad. Just print out the directions in the sticky, mark down your throttle shaft settings and idle screw settings, take pictures if need be. Do all that and the spring install is a breeze.

P.S. If your motor is dirty, clean it before you even think of pulling the pump apart.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 PM

Thanks guys,I feel a little more confident now attacking this thing.Ill let ya know how it turns out.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rlyons
One thing is to hang onto the top hat and spring because it will fly to areas unknown, don't even ask how I know. I slide the throttle shaft out of the upper housing when i remove the housing and it makes it a lot eaiser to remove and replace.
I like to keep the throttle shaft where it is so as not to disturb the non-leaky o-ring. What I do is rotate the pump top 180 degrees and then flip it down beside the pump. Right index finger holds the "top hat" in place while the rest of the right hand supports the pump top. The left hand is then free to use pliers to pull off or install the governor spring. This often involves lots of cursing because I'm not left handed.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
That works too but I like to change the oring while I am in there also.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Good morning fellas.

I have several questions regarding the governor spring. My reasons for asking is because last year I swapped a Cummins B3.3T into a jeep YJ (there's a thread in the General section) and it has a VE injection pump that has a 1300 rpm (2600 engine rpm) governor spring similar to what you guys have swapped out with the 3200 engine rpm spring in your 5.9 Cummins.

Are you removing the pump from the engine when you do this swap? I've read the faq and it makes it look like you are doing this while it's still attached, but some of the pictures look like it's off the engine.

After reading up on the VE pumps I'm a bit confused about why increasing the High Idle Screw won't do a similiar thing as replacing the Governor Spring. The force a spring exerts increases the more it's stretched. So if you back out your High Idle Screw you can rotate the Engine Speed Control Lever further, thus increasing the tension it can exert to counteract the Sliding Sleeve force, which should keep fueling occuring to higher rpm's. Why isn't this increase in force doing the same thing as using a stiffer Governor Spring?

I've used an accelerometer to estimate hp and torque on my jeep and can see that above 2600 rpm my hp is essentially flat to where my high idle screw is set (~3100 rpm). If I were to swap the Governor Spring with a 3200 spring (assuming they make one for my pump) would the hp continue to rise above 2600 rpm?

Thanks for your time and the effort in putting together the writeups and photos.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Where can can I buy the 3200 spring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW5LWIw7usc
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Good morning fellas.

I have several questions regarding the governor spring. My reasons for asking is because last year I swapped a Cummins B3.3T into a jeep YJ (there's a thread in the General section) and it has a VE injection pump that has a 1300 rpm (2600 engine rpm) governor spring similar to what you guys have swapped out with the 3200 engine rpm spring in your 5.9 Cummins.

Are you removing the pump from the engine when you do this swap? I've read the faq and it makes it look like you are doing this while it's still attached, but some of the pictures look like it's off the engine.

After reading up on the VE pumps I'm a bit confused about why increasing the High Idle Screw won't do a similiar thing as replacing the Governor Spring. The force a spring exerts increases the more it's stretched. So if you back out your High Idle Screw you can rotate the Engine Speed Control Lever further, thus increasing the tension it can exert to counteract the Sliding Sleeve force, which should keep fueling occuring to higher rpm's. Why isn't this increase in force doing the same thing as using a stiffer Governor Spring?

I've used an accelerometer to estimate hp and torque on my jeep and can see that above 2600 rpm my hp is essentially flat to where my high idle screw is set (~3100 rpm). If I were to swap the Governor Spring with a 3200 spring (assuming they make one for my pump) would the hp continue to rise above 2600 rpm?

Thanks for your time and the effort in putting together the writeups and photos.
Some of the pics in the FAQ were taken with a pump off the engine just for clarity's sake. There is no need to remove the pump, all I do is retard the timing all the way (loosen the mounting nuts and bolt and rotate the top of the pump away from the engine). This gives more room to work.

The reason a governor spring does what backing out the high idle screw doesn't is this:

Springs are rated in pounds per inch of deflection. Say your 2600 RPM spring takes 10 lbs per inch to pull it apart, and the throttle travel is enough to pull it one inch before you adjust the high idle. This hypothetical spring has 10 lbs of force available to oppose the governor. OK, so we back the high idle screw all the way out and get up to 1.25" of travel - now the spring has 12.5 lbs of force against the governor.

But the 3200 RPM spring is a lot stiffer, we'll say 15 lbs/inch to make the math simple. With the stock high idle setting, you now have 15 pounds opposing the governor, and when you back it out you have 18.75 lbs opposing the governor. This means that the governor has to spin much faster to generate the force needed to defuel the engine.

With the stiffer spring the engine would not defuel until 3200 RPM and would continue to make power up to that point.

Does that clear things up?

Originally Posted by Hammered Scout
Where can can I buy the 3200 spring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW5LWIw7usc
You can get the spring from your local Bosch pump shop. Check the yellow pages for places with names like "Diesel Fuel Injection of (your town here)" or "Yourtown Fuel Injection".

Nice rig.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM

whats the part number for the spring?

Quick Reply: 3200 rpm spring?