1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3 New Switches, Still Have Lighting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 New Switches, Still Have Lighting Problems

Hey all! Its been awhile since I've posted but I've been around. I desperately need some help. My dad is on the road in St. Louis and has to be back to kansas tomorrow morning for a funeral..... Just one problem. Last night the headlights started to do the dreaded flash down the road. Common sense says to replace the headlight switch and be done with it. Well not the case. He's put 3 new ones in in a row and now the headlights are the only thing that work . No running lights, dash lights, dome light etc. He's very frustrated as you can imagine. He's still tracing wires as best he can now. The story gets better. If he jumpers the hot lead from the pigtail to the other ones, all the lights and everything will work. I don't understand it. Could he really have gotten 3 bad switches?? He also said that the connections on the pigtail seem good and tight and it didn't melt or anything. Please help
Dan
Old 04-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
TO GET HOME, take a short piece of wire and tie the left-front fender parking-light to the HOT battery post.(You might ought to include an in-line fuse, just in case.

This should light up all the running lights.

He will just have to connect it to travel, and dis-connect it when parked; agravating I know, but it will get him home.

Then toss the factory mess and wire everything through good toggle-switches; a big advantage is that these are a LOT EASIER to trouble-shoot.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by 90firstgen
If he jumpers the hot lead from the pigtail to the other ones, all the lights and everything will work.

If this gives him all the lights, then go with it; just keep a wary nose for hot wires.