1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3" to 3.5" exhaust AND muffler options

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3" to 3.5" exhaust AND muffler options

As a few of you may know, my truck is at Diesel Injection Systems in Santa Maria, CA getting the injector pump replaced. Larry told me the new pump with his mods will give me about 20%+ more power. This will put the engine at around 200hp. He also mentioned that should be my limit since I don't have an intercooled intake.

I have the crimp at the rear axle and also have a crimp at the transfer case. I have to replace at least the tailpipe, since it is all cracked up at the bend behind the rear tire. That would eliminate the tailpipe crimp. But I'm really not sure I actually NEED to eliminate the t-case crimp, or if I need to increase to 3.5", since I'm only going to have 200 HP. What are your thoughts on this? If it is necessary to eliminate and/or increase to 3.5", is there a company that makes a 3" or 3.5" exhaust setup for the W250? I definitely do not want a 4" exhaust.

Since I'll at least be replacing the tailpipe, I was thinking of replacing the muffler too. I only want a slight increase in sound. My truck is loud enough inside as it is with the air leak at the drivers door, so I don't want to add to it with an overly loud exhaust. Basically I want something quiet when taking it easy in town, and in front of customer's houses, but something that sounds a bit throaty when putting my foot into it. Nothing too much though. Spunbearing has the 4" Magnaflow, but that is a bit too loud for my tastes.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:44 PM

I had a 93 4x4 dually that had the same problems so I wacked the tailpipe and didnt see any diff. then I had a 3" magnaflo put on with the new 3" tail pipe. It was a little louder and again I didnt see any gains. But when you nailed it going by a wall where you couold hear the turbo etc it sounded pretty cool. This was on a stock pump tweeked truck.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd suggest getting rid of all the restrictions you can. The non-intercooled engines need all the help they can get in keeping the EGT down. A 4" system will not be loud if you use a good muffler. www.bigexhaust.com is where I got my system. Skip the downpipe, just get the pieces needed to get around the t-case and over the axle. For a muffler, get a 4" medium duty truck muffler (Donaldson is a well known name). The longer the better, they make ones that are around 4 feet long. It will be quiet, and the bigger pipe will give it a deep tone that's more pleasant than the stock system.

Edited to add: Bank$ and Bully Dog have 3.5" systems, but they are more expensive and probably louder than the setup I described.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:24 PM

Thanks wannadiesel. Is this the one you're talking about? I don't have my truck to look at, but I can't imagine that a 4" will actually fit between the frame rail and the t-case.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yep, that's the one. If you get chunks 2, 3, and 5 all you need is a muffler and some clamps. I don't know for sure that it fits a 4X4, but piece # 2 could be a lot straighter and still fit my 2wd. They must've put those bends in there for some reason.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:33 PM

Yes, you're right about the bends.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I just remembered that jiMMyCTD had the bigexhaust.com system put on his truck a couple weeks ago, it's a '92 W250 with an automatic. There can't be less room with a manual, it's gotta fit.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 inch works on my 4x4 with about 1 inch of clearence from the tubing to the t case.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Thread w/pics.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:33 PM

LOL Roy are you still complaining about my loud truck? ;0) Hey apache where were you when we needed you? LOL Roys truck is at Larry's shop. Roy Apache is the one that told me about Larry so you can thank him. You'll like the truck when you get it back.. Larry builds a mean pump.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:12 AM

Are you kidding, complain about the truck that saved my day? Never. I talked to them yesterday. I think it should be done Thursday. My wife and kids will probably pick me up from work on Friday at noon. We'll head up to Santa Maria, pick up the truck, and have a little mini vacation. Do you know of a good tire shop in Santa Maria? I'm not going anywhere without new tires.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:48 AM

Costco, Big O = BIG$$$, There are some of the chain retailers there, Tire Pros etc and maybe a winston store. Ive had good luck with the Tire Pros stores up my way. All the big stuff will be on Broadway mostly. Thats the main drag of SM.
BTW, spun bearing, hows your mileage now? I woulda helped out if I had known you were up my way and I was home. I was in Hollister.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:56 AM

Honestly Roy I haven't had any luck with any of the tire stores in SM. I like a place in Lompoc called Big Brand. They have some really nice load range E Coopers my neigbor has them on his 96. They are a bit pricey but all good tires are. They run about $200 each. They have cheaper ones also but I try not to be cheap on tires as you noticed by my slicks lmao. I was just ribbing you apache I don't even know exactly what town you live in. I assume you are pretty close. We were just having a hard time finding a trailer . That was our biggest problem. That and the 4th of july traffic through paso robles. Took me about an hour to go 2 miles on the way out there. Roy, Waynes tire is pretty good too. Not sure if they have one in SM but they do have one in Lompoc.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:06 AM

Apache my milage is about the same maybe a slight bit better. Larry said that my injectors are pretty bad. I'm trying to decide which injectors to go with. I'm leaning towards the 190's but Larry wants me to have him renozzle the stockers that I have. He only pulled one of my injectors when he was troubleshooting but the opening pressure was 750 psi low. So we are thinking that is where my milage issue is. It sure runs alot better with the new pump though. :0)
Old 07-08-2004, 12:33 PM

Sure hope your mileage improves with the injectors. for me thats the best part of the CTD, and towing capabilities. Well, I didnt want to be the first to complain but the services around these parts is less than wonderful. last time I went to Waynes it took 3 men and a horse to loosen my lugs after, wasent impressed. There is a Big brand also in Paso, Ive had good luck there also. $200 each sounds pretty high though. Might have to hit the Ventura area on the way south for new rubber. No offence taken on the helping part. Gotta say your helping out in the way you did was pretty impressive. Dang, Im not sure I could get my own family to go to that extent.

Quick Reply: 3" to 3.5" exhaust AND muffler options