1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2wd to 4x4 club cab '92/'93 frame off build

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 05:56 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Big Dog Small Car

Big dog irritated and giving Raspberries

Steering gear pitman arm released

Dusty Windshield
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by nonrev
So you borrowed a few tips from our Canadian Sasquatch on electrical repair .. what size hammer did you use for the taps
Hey now,

Sasquatch uses rocks.... not hammers !
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
nonrev (04-27-2020), thrashingcows (04-28-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
You must be paying the slave labor well, they have a smile in every picture!!!! And you need to put a harness on the dog & command train it to pull the chassis forward on command.
I can't tell, do you use like 2 or 3 cherry pickers to lift the cab?
Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
You must be paying the slave labor well, they have a smile in every picture!!!! And you need to put a harness on the dog & command train it to pull the chassis forward on command.
I can't tell, do you use like 2 or 3 cherry pickers to lift the cab?

He pays her in Cheerios and Gatorade. Yes... Cheap labor.

Ollie has an auto / truck 2 post lift. Homey don't mess around....

nothingbutdarts (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 07:36 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Wow! Nice work on the photos T-man!

I gotta take some more pictures of what we got done this week, now that you guy are up to speed with last weeks work.
The crossover steering and FSS steering box frame brace is all mounted up now. The FSS and Offroad Design parts where both great to work with and easy to install.
Fuel lines are re connected, the NP-205 has fresh gear oil and the Getrag is topped off with 5 QTs of Mobil 1 5W-30. The rear driveshaft is mounted back up.

Last night we wrestled around with a lightly used D.E 4 inch exhaust that I saved off a '92 club cab. It was not fitting the best around the T-case as the exhaust seemed pushed back just a bit too much. I shortened the down pipe by 1 1/4, which is about the amount the 2nd gen waste gate pushes it back. That moved the piece around the T-case forward a bit so the bends worked better around the tight area around the crossmember, frame and T-case. I need to work on making a the DP exhaust hanger off the bell housing next that work with the larger pipe diameter.

We are hoping to have the cab back down on the frame by tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
nonrev (04-28-2020), nothingbutdarts (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:19 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman

Crack

SLAVE Labor

Slave labor pushing the truck

Slave labor action shot

Big DOG

More slave labor

Happy Grille Slave Labor

Still working Slave Labor
WOW! It's a NAKED DODGE! Too bad that girl is spoiling the picture.

Who's kid is that? Is she studying to be a diesel mechanic? I hear there's good money in that!

Edwin
Old 04-28-2020, 05:30 AM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
I'm loving the pics with Charlotte and her style! Hair askew, Hawaiian shirt, rubber boots and a smile as big as the truck! She and mine are kindred spirits. Great to have her interested and enjoying what you do. Good times.

Who's the windshield artist?
thrashingcows (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 06:46 AM

Yeah the best part of this build has been spending quality time with my daughter in the shop. We learn things as we go, while we take turns picking out CDs to listen to as we both like a lot of the same bands. We are having a great time with our Covid-19 project.

I am not sure what she wants to be when she "grows up". But the lessons learned building a truck, can be used in many ways. The random problem solving that needs to happen when working on an old rigs is fun and challenging.
Also the ability to have a vision of what you want to build, how to make it happen, along with the follow through to get it done can be used in many other parts of life.

The windshield art is mostly Charlotte's with a few cat prints thrown in by our cat. She will often hang out in the shop and paint or sketch things while I work on trucks.

We are hoping to get the cab and front clip dropped down on top of the frame today.
Last night after dinner we had a few minutes so we got the Getrag filled up and all the bushing and cab mounts picked out and cleaned up.

Yesterday I also had time to weld up a exhaust hanger for the bell housing bolt that works with the 4 inch DP. I just cut down an OEM bracket and welded it to the saddle of a standard 4 inch clamp.
The following 3 users liked this post by oliver foster:
DevynBurk (04-28-2020), nothingbutdarts (04-30-2020), thrashingcows (04-28-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 04:52 AM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
So many kids now can't use their hands (unless it's just their thumbs...) nor can they problem solve. She's learning life skills that will set her apart. You're a good dad, rock on!
The following 7 users liked this post by KRB:
Bob L (04-29-2020), edwinsmith (04-29-2020), NJTman (04-29-2020), nothingbutdarts (04-30-2020), oliver foster (04-29-2020), Shelby/Dakota (04-29-2020), thrashingcows (04-29-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:04 AM

Amen, brother !
Old 04-29-2020, 01:27 PM

Well we got the cab back down on the frame. We took our time and threaded the engine through the inner fenders cleanly, even with the brake master tied to the side of the motor. We never opened the brake system up on this whole build, as they where working well before and the hard lines look really clean.
I plan on bolting it back up the the booster that stayed on the firewall.

After we got the rear 2 cab bolts finger tight, I had to bring her back to moms for the week. We did get in a quick fishing trip to a quiet little pond on the way. She caught the first fish AND then the biggest fish of the trip. The pond still had snow in the field along the wood line, but the brook trout were biting.

I need to center the frame and cab a little bit left to right as there is room for adjustment in the bolt holes in the cab.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
nothingbutdarts (04-30-2020), thrashingcows (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Yeah the best part of this build has been spending quality time with my daughter in the shop. We learn things as we go, while we take turns picking out CDs to listen to as we both like a lot of the same bands. We are having a great time with our Covid-19 project.

I am not sure what she wants to be when she "grows up". But the lessons learned building a truck, can be used in many ways. The random problem solving that needs to happen when working on an old rigs is fun and challenging.
Also the ability to have a vision of what you want to build, how to make it happen, along with the follow through to get it done can be used in many other parts of life.

The windshield art is mostly Charlotte's with a few cat prints thrown in by our cat. She will often hang out in the shop and paint or sketch things while I work on trucks.

We are hoping to get the cab and front clip dropped down on top of the frame today.
Last night after dinner we had a few minutes so we got the Getrag filled up and all the bushing and cab mounts picked out and cleaned up.

Yesterday I also had time to weld up a exhaust hanger for the bell housing bolt that works with the 4 inch DP. I just cut down an OEM bracket and welded it to the saddle of a standard 4 inch clamp.
Hey Oliver, Just to let you know, I'm up for adoption and I am already house trained ...Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
NJTman (04-29-2020), nothingbutdarts (04-30-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 05:57 AM

ORD pitman arm and FFS steering brace

Better shot of FFS box brace.

Passenger side steering arm for crossover steering

Clearance of crossover drag link and engine crossmember, shown from the passenger side.

picking the best said bolts and bushings with Charlotte.

Hooking up down pipe / exhaust and fuel lines. Installing best bushing (OEM) in preparation for dropping the cab.

Charlotte saying Cheese while I try to get the rear cab bolts to line up. aka / Fat *** in the camera

Charlotte saying Cheese while I try to get the rear cab bolts to line up.

Thinking about trimming the fender at the tape line and save all the inner fender from any cutting. This will allow low lift height while still having a softer front ride and at least 35 tires to fit. Thoughts?

Thinking about trimming the fender at the tape line and save all the inner fender from any cutting. This will allow low lift height while still having a softer front ride and at least 35 tires to fit. Thoughts?
Old 05-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Thanks for posting those shots up T-man!
We got the cab all bolted down, but the wiring, steering column, e-brake cable, ETC all needs to be re-attached.
Taking a break on the project right now, as I have a few other things that need attention.
Diesel_Dawg (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Thanks to you and T-man for keep this thread up to date. It is great to see the progress you have made documented with pictures.
As far as cutting the fenders go...I would not do it, but then I don't have the "Fort Knox" of 1st gen parts like you do.
When I see a clean looking late 60's Ford Bronco on the road the first thing I do is look at the rear fenders to see if they have been cut.

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4x4 club cab '92/'93 frame off build