1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2wd to 4x4 club cab '92/'93 frame off build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 08:42 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
So...Wrench Week was a success.
The major punch list on Project Covid was:

The front axle got both U joints [Spicer] in the axle, two new calipers and rotors along with new pads. All bearings, seals and even some new springs for the king pins, the king pins bushings and the king pins . Two new tie rods on the relay bar, along with new tie rods on the crossover bar. We trimmed almost an inch of the drivers side of the crossover bar to move the bend closer to the drivers side and buy me a little more clearance under the engine crossmember. It also got a couple of new soft brake lines. The Warn hubs looked good but a few of the tiny hub hex bolts where swapped out for better ones.

The rear axle got a full make over. Both brake drums, shoes, E-brake cables, all wheel bearings, carrier bearings, and seals. Along with a new clutch pack for the Power Lock and a pinion bearing and seal. The passenger side needed a Speedi Sleeve to improve the sealing surface on the spindle.

Both axles also got 9/16 wheel studs and new fluid along with a through cleaning of the inner parts of the axles while they where apart.

The rear driveshaft was treated to a round of new Spicer U-joints.

The crossover steering was adjusted till the wheel was straight when driving it around the shop, then it was tightened down for the road testing which will come as soon as the salt is washed off the roads a bit more.

I have to finish up assembling the front grille area -grille, A/C condenser, lights, bumper. Then some interior clean up and re-assembly along with swapping out the drivers seat before I feel I am ready to put it on the road.
Oh yeah I also have to get the fuel filler neck to play nicely with the new bed.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (04-06-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 05:06 AM
KRB

Received 522 Likes on 362 Posts
Charlotte's been BUSY!
Old 04-08-2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Charlotte's been BUSY!
Between college and two part time jobs, Charlotte was busy alright... She did stop by for a visit and brought us a tasty Thai lunch one day before her waitressing job that night. Then the next day, she made a few trips to various part stores between classes, and another parts run after school.
She didn't even pick up a wrench this year during Wrench Week!
Old 04-09-2022, 07:32 AM
KRB

Cool. She have a major yet?
Old 05-24-2022, 08:01 AM

I have been super busy, but I did have the time to finish up Project Covid enough to get it down to the local shop and get it inspected by the state so it is 100% legal for the road.
It was really nice to get it out on the highway and run through all the gears.
I am also still waiting for my 37 inch tires to come in...It has been since Feb, when I ordered them.

The suspension is nice and soft for what it is, so I am happy with that.
As I get more miles on it I will update on how it all works.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:38 AM

After putting 160 miles on the truck in the past three days, here is some feedback on it.

Things that are great:
The rebuilt Getrag shifts great. Props to one of my Mopar bros for rebuilding that for me!
The crossover steering along with the FFS steering box bracket / brace that gets rid of steering box flex makes for a great steering 1st gen. I can go from one turn in the road, right into another without over and under correcting the steering wheel to keep it on course. Really tightens up a lot of the play in the steering.
The new, softer W-250 leaf springs with wear pads between the leaves, 1/2 longer shackles, 1 inch axle relocation forward, grease-able bushings and bolts, along with the Pro Comp shocks make for a decently soft ride for a W-250. I do not notice anything from the lack of front sway bar.
The brake system works very well and the truck stops straight and true.

Things I have noticed that need work:
The multi function switch does not turn the turn signal off when taking left turns, so I will swap that out for another used one.
The passenger's side speaker is junk.
Lots of little detail things COULD get some attention to improve the fit and finish of the ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
nonrev (05-26-2022), nothingbutdarts (05-27-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 06:51 PM

Well I put a couple hundred miles on Project Covid since the frame off, before bringing it into the shop for a good look over.
It has been in the shop almost a week and I am really surprised there is not a drop of oil anywhere underneath it...Makes me wonder if I forgot to fit it up with any.

I got the multi function switch swapped out as the last one would not click off the turn signal when turning the wheel. Then the carpet was cut to for the 4x4 and 5 speed shifter holes, along with the boots installed.

The passenger door was gone through to change the speaker, along with fluid filming the inner door. I installed the door panel with all the clips as several where broken or missing before.
The fuel filler neck needed some more adjusting to get just right then was tightened down.

I adjusted the smoke screw a few turns out till it was about flush and turned the AFC star wheel 180* to simmer down the fuel hit at low to no boost. Next time I get it out of the shop I will return and drop the engine oil while it is warm.

Trying to get a be ready to take it the 1000 mile round trip to the Mopar show at Carlisle in month with my daughter.

Edit: I want to add that I also installed a used BD diesel fuel pin about 60 miles ago, which is why I addressed the AFC tuning. It was a little smokey at very low boost and heavy pedal application.
nothingbutdarts (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 03:48 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Gotta watch that smoke. You could give a greenie a heart attack.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:19 AM

Well sometimes it takes doing the same job several times to get it right. The passenger door I worked on a few days ago, was taken apart yesterday and gone through again. After putting it all back together the little plastic clip that holds the rod on the inner door latch gave up the ghost.
My passenger not being able to open the door from the inside was not how I wanted to represent my work.
So yesterday I went through the door again. While I was there I upgraded the OEM power mirror to one that did not have chrome that was lightly damaged.

Then after dinner I got a 2 pod A-pillar gauge cluster installed with some Autometer boost and pyro gauges installed. I still have to do a little work under the hood on the boost line today.

Still waiting on news about the 37 inch tires I ordered last winter...
nothingbutdarts (06-18-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 10:18 AM

I got the gauges installed and working well on my 50 mile errand yesterday.

Brought it back into the shop and while it was still warm dropped the oil and swapped out the oil filter for a fresh Fleetguard one.

But the real news of the day is my 37 inch Falken Wild Peaks AT are in. I will see if I can get a shop that can mount them up for me this week.
I am not sure how things are by you guys, but it is a lot harder to find people who are looking to do jobs and take on work...Then the people that are looking to take on work are booked weeks out.
nothingbutdarts (06-20-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 02:48 AM
KRB

Originally Posted by oliver foster
But the real news of the day is my 37 inch Falken Wild Peaks AT are in. I will see if I can get a shop that can mount them up for me this week.
I am not sure how things are by you guys, but it is a lot harder to find people who are looking to do jobs and take on work...Then the people that are looking to take on work are booked weeks out.
I think it's bad like that most everywhere. We still have a couple shops that will patch tires or mount truck tires but have lost anyone that can rebuild a starter or alternator (let alone a generator), clean & patch a radiator/fuel tank, turn drums - I could go on and on. On the up side, we do have a couple shops that still make hydraulic hose though.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:40 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
I think you'll like the Falkens. I have them on my Cherokee, 32s, and they're wearing good, ride quiet and a little better traction than most ATs. I do the backs forward, fronts cross over to the rear rotation. The Cherokees I've had like to feather the fronts bad.
nonrev (06-25-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 09:00 AM

My buddy who is retiring and is selling his auto shop where I have been going for 25 years is still working till the end of the month. So he fit in mounting and balancing my Falkens last Thursday. They did not take a ton of lead to balance out, which is nice to see.

The tires fit very well for easy driving on the road, but I can see they will contact if I was to drive over rough terrain. I put about 40 miles on with only very minimal rubbing a few times. I picture large pot holes would be enough, when turning to cause some real contact. I will adjust the lift a bit to give me a little more clearance.
nothingbutdarts (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 09:35 AM

Received 343 Likes on 241 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of Project Covid before and after the new shoes.

and with the new shoes

The following 3 users liked this post by nonrev:
MoPowa (07-02-2022), nothingbutdarts (06-26-2022), oliver foster (06-26-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:22 AM

I have been putting miles on testing things out. I noticed the boost would run about 20 PSI when running hard, but less than WOT and only come up to 22 for a moment at WOT before settling back to 20.
So I did as BHD recommended earlier in the thread and pulled the waste gate hose off and plugged it. I now see 30-32 at WOT and the truck has more power. The temps. do not run much hotter with the watergate closed with the amount of fuel I am pushing through the system.

Next on the list...I removed the driver door panel, cleaned up the "door card' with hot soapy water and a brush. Found an armrest in Spice color that was in great shape and re installed it after cleaning up and lubing the inner door workings.
Then I noticed the passenger seat bracket hinge is mildly damaged when I was washing down the carpet with hot water and soap before shop vacuuming it clean and dry. I will address that with another hinge in better shape or with my welder and some metal.

The tire rub has been very minimal over the 200 miles I have put on it with the bigger tires. I am looking at just adding a 1 inch Zero Rate spring up front to give me some room for safety and a little room incase the springs settle a bit over time.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
BHD (07-01-2022), thrashingcows (07-02-2022)

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4x4 club cab '92/'93 frame off build